LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

In response, "If our season goes bad early" thread.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Look, we have been bagged on by every media outlet and pendant in sports talk, we are dead last in preseason polls and power rankings. We may not be a play of team, but we aren't that bad. So, when this team exceeds expectations, and goes on a nice midseason run, chasing a play off berth,

What will all the pundits say when we have a good season, or god forbid a great season, Will they be saying, "no one expected Brown to be so good at right tackle" Or "Kaepernick/Gabberet has been reborn, and are finally living up to their potential" Or, "Wow we didn't expect the front seven to be so dominant"

What will be the story line we we don't suck!

I know its a long shot, but I want Chip to make the national media eat some crow!

Whats your glimmer of hope, what surprise development will save the season?
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we do suck tho.
The story could end up being about how the Niners surprisingly have one of the best O-lines in the league. After the first two practice games, it would be silly to assume the offense isn't going to be a lot better than the last few years.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
we do suck tho.

Right, I get that, but what could unexpectedly go right this season, you see no potential for anything to change our fortunes? What if Buckner plays like a mad man, and is rookie of the year, or the O=line is dominant? Maybe Hyde doesn't get injured, and puts up 1500 yard rushing, and 300 receiving...you see no hope, none, not even a sliver?
Originally posted by crake49:
The story could end up being about how the Niners surprisingly have one of the best O-lines in the league. After the first two practice games, it would be silly to assume the offense isn't going to be a lot better than the last few years.

Yeah, thats my ray of hope! The O-line out proffering expectations!
The glimmer of hope. Kap fits Chips system as well as you could hope. Hyde stays healthy and shows why he is a top 5 back in the league. The O-Line dominates and just continues to punch teams in the mouth. Patton finally becomes a legit threat and McDonald has a break out year. Our 2 Oregon DEs get considered as good as the Jets front. Tank emerges as a consistent pass rushing threat and gets 10 sacks. Lynch comes back from suspension and gets 10 sacks as well. Ray Ray starts at ILB and plays well enough that he is a pro bowl alternate. Ward picks up where he left off at last year. Robinson takes over for Brock as the start CB and gets 3 picks and looks great. Tartt starts at SS and him and Reid give seattles safety tandom a run for their money.
It will be you still suck just less than we thought. Congrats I guess. Back to the Nolan/ Sing years.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Yeah, thats my ray of hope! The O-line out proffering expectations!

I don't know how many times I've seen someone say, 'it all starts up front.' We'll see. I'll still be surprised if they do well, but at the same time, some of the building blocks look so good to me right now that I wouldn't be that surprised. I think that at this point, I'll be more surprised if they end up at #32 like everyone thinks they should.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we do suck tho.

Right, I get that, but what could unexpectedly go right this season, you see no potential for anything to change our fortunes? What if Buckner plays like a mad man, and is rookie of the year, or the O=line is dominant? Maybe Hyde doesn't get injured, and puts up 1500 yard rushing, and 300 receiving...you see no hope, none, not even a sliver?
the lack of faith is stunning to me. there have been so many positives this pre season. our team is so much better than they were four months ago and I do not think we suck. i understand its fun and nice to just slap that blanket over our team but i think it is a slap in the face of our players and coaches who have been busting it over the last few months
If the season goes bad? Fellas, we are already at the bottom of the bottom. We are ranked 32. Season can't be worse.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
so much for the chance of a post pondering optimism for our team. i guess that is against the law
Originally posted by cciowa:
we do suck tho.

the lack of faith is stunning to me. there have been so many positives this pre season. our team is so much better than they were four months ago and I do not think we suck. i understand its fun and nice to just slap that blanket over our team but i think it is a slap in the face of our players and coaches who have been busting it over the last few months

It shouldn't stun you.

Look who you're dealing with.

People who will be negative no matter what.

I would lay odds that even if we won the Super Bowl - they'd be whinning about something.

It's just how they are.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It shouldn't stun you.

I would lay odds that even if we won the Super Bowl - they'd be whinning about something.

It's just how they are.
wally, sadly, said nothing wrong

Sure, this will happen....ultimately. But what about the HC ? Who would expect the HC/OC to be so much better than the last two yrs of Harbaw, and no need to even mention tomsul. What I am interested in is when they realize the DBs suddenly don't look like they don't give up 10 yds on every pass. The middle 1/3 of the field will no longer be open for every stinking pass thrown there. Then the DL...when do you suppose they realize AA and DeFo wiht whichever NT we use are a substantial force? When do they realize this front 7 is not the front 7 of last yr? When do they realize that our RBs are really good...and are 4 deep?

Probably they are laser focused on our QBs and know that we are not going to be showing much there. But will they factor in the play of those guys wiht a sharp HC/OC like Chip, and what he can do wiht game planning, and play calling to make their mediocre play maximized and will end up much better than either QB candidate would be with a different HC/OC? The coaching is going to be so much better than Harbaw''s last 1 1/2 yrs here, and again, just forget tomsul. He didn't count. Nobody is looking for our HC to make this team way better than it ever could have been under Harbaw. Nobody will even have a notion that chip finally forced the bench to play or get cut. Nobody will know that our 7th Rd pick Trenton may very well end up as one of the top OLs this yr on any team.

I suspect the NFL is expecting us to have the same OL as last two yrs, same DBs, same DL, same WRs, same everything. We are being looked at thru a lens that only sees 2015...there was no reason to put us under the microscope and wonder how we had evolved and improved so markedly....and I mean at every position (incl QB under chip's command). Whatever I have read about us nationally just reinforces that about 99% of the sports "journalists" have not done their homework. Mangini is gone, thank heavens. He was another anchor we dragged around. Horrible hire in the first place. Chip has oversight and will be involved with every D snap also...it's one reason he is such a good coach. As far as the media goes, he is just "Chip"....and not much more...oh, ,maybe a little odd, perhaps. But nobody suspects what he has done to this team since taking over. And not one soul has acknowledged that our draft was other worldly. Cripes we are making cuts of guys that will start elsewhere. Last yr we didn't have half the O starters who were legit. Same can be said for the D. And we sure as heck had a failed HC from first snap to the last. That just gets glossed over nationally.

So I expect a massive outpouring of media attn not long after the season begins, and it will be amazement at what and how the 49ers have improved...literally everywhere...which is exactly what a great coach can do. Chip's help with the draft, esp O, helped immensely. Trent was known as a very good D judge but not so much on O...and chip earned his pay just for the draft.

Maybe our season does go "bad" , in great part due to the schedule and we are starting O and D players who are completely foreign to this O and D. So many will be learning as they go. But even in losses I expect our team to look good....blocking, tackling, coverage....QBing? Not so much. Here we got what we got, and that is us for the reamainder of the yr. But as mediocre as it is, I expect chip to play call around our obvious weaknesses, and to show way better than what the talent itself would be if left alone... as long as we win a handful and remain in games to the bitter end, it doesn't matter what the press says. How we play will be noted by one and all 9er fans as vast improvement. Nobody could ask for more than that.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 26, 2016 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It shouldn't stun you.

It's just how they are.
wally, sadly, said nothing wrong

lulz, there is a difference between optimism and being realistic. Last year's thread where you predict the number of wins - people thought 10-11 wins. Some folks said we would be lucky to win 6 games and got roasted for saying it, for not being good fans, etc.

How did that work out?
Share 49ersWebzone