LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

If our season goes bad early and stays that way

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Do you really want baalke making 15 picks.

As long as they aren't Wide Receivers sure...His last two drafts have actually been rounding into form pretty well after a couple of early debacles.
Originally posted by 9-54-9er:
We should really start to strongly consider trading guys for as many draft picks as we can possibly accumulate. Guys that have one year left on their contract, or are just depth, or have some issues like Brooks. In anticipation of our huge cap next year and fresh start we should be looking to get as many young, cheap draft picks in camp to compete. 15 draft picks is not out of the question for Baalke.

Then maybe grab 5+ UDFA's to get about 20+ fresh bodies into camp to start our next window of opportunity. We can even add 2 or 3 top of the line free agents with the cap space we would still have leftover. 15 draft picks would cost around $10-15mil. That still leaves us like $40-50mil in cap space. We apply that to some key free agents and we could provide ourselves with one hell of a window of opportunity for the next 5+ years.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
IF?

Sometimes I'm floored by how much better your point is in one word, than mine are when I dedicate 1,000 words to it.
[ Edited by McClusky on Aug 24, 2016 at 10:51 AM ]
This is not madden 17
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The problem with this team is not the talent it is the coaching and the type of players that were drafted over the last few years not matching what the coaching staff does (see Harbaugh years)
lol. All these people purposely overlooking the obvious point being made here. The point is not to get rid of talent we like with one year left. I'm obviously speaking of the fringe contracts and players. I'm not going to go through the entire roster to point them out but you get the point here. Start using players we have no intention of holding onto for picks. Late picks are better than nothing and Baalke needs all the picks he can get from throw away players anyway. Being young is exactly why we may get something for some of these guys we can't keep or have no plans on keeping.

I said 5+ years to be modest but the truth is we can get ourselves a nice window like the cowboys with their oline. 10-15 years is not out of the question.

Also yes, IF the 49ers season goes bad early and stays that way. If Chip Kelly comes out unpredictable early on we could catch a few teams off guard. We could also get some help with injuries (not hoping for them, just saying it's part of the game and it's variables), etc.. we could end up having a season to play for. Maybe we miss the wild card but we make it somewhat interesting at least.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Do you really want baalke making 15 picks.

15 in the 7th round

This. I expect the season to start pretty rough. Hoping to win all three home games to start 3-2 but it wouldn't surprise me at all to start 1-4 with close losses to DAL and AZ at home.
Originally posted by 9-54-9er:
We should really start to strongly consider trading guys for as many draft picks as we can possibly accumulate. Guys that have one year left on their contract, or are just depth, or have some issues like Brooks. In anticipation of our huge cap next year and fresh start we should be looking to get as many young, cheap draft picks in camp to compete. 15 draft picks is not out of the question for Baalke.

Then maybe grab 5+ UDFA's to get about 20+ fresh bodies into camp to start our next window of opportunity. We can even add 2 or 3 top of the line free agents with the cap space we would still have leftover. 15 draft picks would cost around $10-15mil. That still leaves us like $40-50mil in cap space. We apply that to some key free agents and we could provide ourselves with one hell of a window of opportunity for the next 5+ years.

This is what we've been doing since 2011 - stockpiling draft picks and NOT aggressively moving up to draft IMPACT guys…that's what this team needs now. You can argue roster was stacked at that point so no need to be aggressive but its the complete opposite now - we have some building blocks but need more IMPACT players
I know. I like it also. We just need to capitalize more like you said. We can also begin to consider moving up with the picks we get. With us saving and not spending (overspending on guys that would be on the hook still) this offseason, we can start grabbing talent and adding more young guys to compete from the draft. We can even grab some quality free agents.

I'd prefer some 2nd tier talent so we don't have huge contracts and guarantees invested in guys. This way we always have young, fresh, cheap talent from the draft to get the best out of in competition and aren't on the hook every year to 1st tier free agents. At some point they always play less than their contracts and you're on the hook regardless. We can compete every year if we save draft picks, stockpile them and get fairly priced free agents every season.

Either way I'm fine with moving up for impact guys in the draft or grabbing as many guys to compete as possible. I just don't want to get sucked into huge contracts that will hurt us and hinder us from making moves down the road. If we keep drafting a lot of players we can trade them for picks since we'll have all the rookies before cuts and teams will want to secure them. Or when their contract is almost up we can get something back for them if we dont need them and invest that pick we get back to repeat the process.

I just think this is the perfect time to bring this up and make sure we all believe they will continue to add value to our draft as they have been. This year more than any other is perfect for it. It goes hand in hand with our fresh start next year and huge cap space.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Pretty strong chance we go 1-3 or maybe even 0-4... Let's just leave a little breathing room for mid season.

Originally posted by Joecool:

Hah ... I laughed, hard.
Baalke is fired and Gamble is new GM in the offseason
Are you Grant Cohn posing as a Zoner? This roster already is already made up of largely young players with less than 3 years experience. This year will be about finding out which ones are worth keeping long term. Looking at the preseason so far, I feel good about the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, our CB's, and our RB's. Next year, they will be better if Baalke's or whomever is the GM finds a QB and some quality WR's.
Find another way for Jed to save money
LOL.

The season has not started yet and this is how much confidence people have. I'm not surprised at all.
Share 49ersWebzone