LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

If our season goes bad early and stays that way

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We should really start to strongly consider trading guys for as many draft picks as we can possibly accumulate. Guys that have one year left on their contract, or are just depth, or have some issues like Brooks. In anticipation of our huge cap next year and fresh start we should be looking to get as many young, cheap draft picks in camp to compete. 15 draft picks is not out of the question for Baalke.

Then maybe grab 5+ UDFA's to get about 20+ fresh bodies into camp to start our next window of opportunity. We can even add 2 or 3 top of the line free agents with the cap space we would still have leftover. 15 draft picks would cost around $10-15mil. That still leaves us like $40-50mil in cap space. We apply that to some key free agents and we could provide ourselves with one hell of a window of opportunity for the next 5+ years.
[ Edited by 9-54-9er on Aug 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM ]
Originally posted by 9-54-9er:
We should really start to strongly consider trading guys for as many draft picks as we can possibly accumulate. Guys that have one year left on their contract, or are just depth, or have some issues like Brooks. In anticipation of our huge cap next year and fresh start we should be looking to get as many young, cheap draft picks in camp to compete. 15 draft picks is not out of the question for Baalke.

Then maybe grab 5+ UDFA's to get about 20+ fresh bodies into camp to start our next window of opportunity. We can even add 2 or 3 top of the line free agents with the cap space we would still have leftover. 15 draft picks would cost around $10-15mil. That still leaves us like $40-50mil in cap space. We apply that to some key free agents and we could provide ourselves with one hell of a window of opportunity for the next 5+ years.

Sound like Chip Kelly's eagles game plan.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Sounds like Chip Kelly's eagles game plan.

Exactly.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
IF?
Why would we trade guys away who have one year left on their contract when we have the most cap space? Only guys we should consider trading away are guys like Brooks who are proven quality players but likely don't have a future with this team.

I would imagine we'll try to trade away some of our OLmen - Martin and Brandon Thomas probably the most likely candidates but not sure anyone would bite but you never know, hell we traded for Devey last year
So you wanna bring baseballs trading philosophy into football? I have said before if we start to struggle badly early on I would field calls about trading Joe Staley. I know it's sacrilegious talking trade about the Joe Show. But if we can garner a 1st round pick for him with Trent Browns emergence and Anthony Davis still capable of playing Tackle. I would seriously consider it. But for a 1st or 2nd only. But unfortunately we don't really have to many tradable pieces. The only players other teams would want are the players that we consider our building blocks. Eric Reid, DeFo, AA, Hyde, Bowman, Lynch other than that I can't imagine we would get lots of calls about putting Brock on the tradin block. A long with a good amount of our starters our talent level is just not very high anymore.
Our season WON'T go bad
Originally posted by Joecool:

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:

These

Exactly.
You want a 32 ranked team to get rid of talent?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Do you really want baalke making 15 picks.
Originally posted by susweel:
Do you really want baalke making 15 picks.

15 in the 7th round
We are already incredibly young all over the place. Trading away what little veteran presence we have would likely make us worse, not better.
Share 49ersWebzone