LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

We had a big problem our WR!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Teams with stable coaching, coherent offensive philosophies and high quality QB's don't seem to often struggle when it comes to finding WR's. Pittsburgh keeps finding quality receivers that they plug into their scheme, that their QB is able to use and they continually have success. Bruce Arians left Pittsburgh, went to Arizona and has set up a similar system with coaching stability, coherent offensive philosophy, quality QB play with Palmer and now they've got several guys like John Brown, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown and others who look like playmakers, not to mention improved play from Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd.

It helps to have both sides of the equation, the way Dallas has Romo and Dez Bryant, Green Bay with Rodgers and Jordy Nelson....etc, having a great QB and a great WR presents serious matchup issues but if I can only have one, give me the quarterback. A great WR can be shutdown or contained by a single player, a top-notch quarterback will attack all areas of the field which means that the defense has to keep track of everyone because the ball can go to any single receiver.

Russell Wilson has had a subpar receiving corps pretty much ever since entering the NFL but their receivers fit his areas of strength. You've got a guy like Baldwin who is a pretty good route runner that defensive backs tend to lose track of, they've given him a wide variety of deep threats such as Lockette and Kearse that he can just chuck it up to, on top of that they added Lockett as well so for a run heavy offense they have a lot of speed outside and if teams get sucked in to stop the run, Wilson is going to start bombing on them. He does a great job of spreading the ball around and does the best with what he has and you can't say that they haven't been successful.

As far as the 49ers go, I think they have an emerging threat in McDonald, a guy you can have go across the middle of the field, who is a difficult matchup because of his size and athleticism. You have Torrey Smith who is an explosive deep threat, a revceiver who is a tough matchup for anyone and he should be getting several deep looks each game. In Baltimore they continually tossed it up to him and many times even if he didn't catch, there would be a pass interference call which in the end run is just as good unless he's on your fantasy team. Each game you should have at least a few deep shots dialed up for Torrey to take advantage of. You have Jerome Simpson who is another vertical threat that teams have to account for. You have Patton who runs good routes and can be used in the slot or on the outside. You have Ellington with superb quickness and a guy that can be used a variety of ways, even taking the ball from out of the backfield. You have Celek at TE who is a jack of all trades, has decent hands and is a decent route runner as well.

Its not a great group but its a group that you can work with certainly. I think going forward they need to figure out who their QB is, whether its a guy already on the roster(doubtful) or someone that they draft, and then once they've done that, start adding weapons and pieces to help that guy play to his strengths.

I think with Vance, Torrey & Ellington (when healthy), we can get by in the passing game.

This will be complimentary to our stellar running game of course.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
buzz is right, we need to upgrade our WR corps with someone who can make an impact. Maybe trade for someone like victor cruz, marquise lee, etc

Yep. Victor Cruz was very good but his knee had a huge injured and problem. Marquez Lee? Hmm why not, we should trade him. Or I wish trade to Des Bryant or Tates from Detroit Lions. Tates is very good WR.
I wanna trade to Tates to Detroit Lions. Wanna Tates.
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
I am disappointed in WRS. We had suck our WRS can't have weapon to scores. We had big and big problem our WRS nothing to scores. We need trade any team. They offer me for grade any WR? We need sign any free agent for WR?

Maybe you jumped ship too early. Ya new boy Gabbert doesn't like throwing to WR's. I say let's just ditch the WR's and go with all RB's and TE's. JK
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Yep, and look at Wilson. His WRs were Tate, Baldwin, Kearse, etc

You dont need great WRs

Teams with stable coaching, coherent offensive philosophies and high quality QB's don't seem to often struggle when it comes to finding WR's. Pittsburgh keeps finding quality receivers that they plug into their scheme, that their QB is able to use and they continually have success. Bruce Arians left Pittsburgh, went to Arizona and has set up a similar system with coaching stability, coherent offensive philosophy, quality QB play with Palmer and now they've got several guys like John Brown, JJ Nelson, Jaron Brown and others who look like playmakers, not to mention improved play from Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd.

It helps to have both sides of the equation, the way Dallas has Romo and Dez Bryant, Green Bay with Rodgers and Jordy Nelson....etc, having a great QB and a great WR presents serious matchup issues but if I can only have one, give me the quarterback. A great WR can be shutdown or contained by a single player, a top-notch quarterback will attack all areas of the field which means that the defense has to keep track of everyone because the ball can go to any single receiver.

Russell Wilson has had a subpar receiving corps pretty much ever since entering the NFL but their receivers fit his areas of strength. You've got a guy like Baldwin who is a pretty good route runner that defensive backs tend to lose track of, they've given him a wide variety of deep threats such as Lockette and Kearse that he can just chuck it up to, on top of that they added Lockett as well so for a run heavy offense they have a lot of speed outside and if teams get sucked in to stop the run, Wilson is going to start bombing on them. He does a great job of spreading the ball around and does the best with what he has and you can't say that they haven't been successful.

As far as the 49ers go, I think they have an emerging threat in McDonald, a guy you can have go across the middle of the field, who is a difficult matchup because of his size and athleticism. You have Torrey Smith who is an explosive deep threat, a revceiver who is a tough matchup for anyone and he should be getting several deep looks each game. In Baltimore they continually tossed it up to him and many times even if he didn't catch, there would be a pass interference call which in the end run is just as good unless he's on your fantasy team. Each game you should have at least a few deep shots dialed up for Torrey to take advantage of. You have Jerome Simpson who is another vertical threat that teams have to account for. You have Patton who runs good routes and can be used in the slot or on the outside. You have Ellington with superb quickness and a guy that can be used a variety of ways, even taking the ball from out of the backfield. You have Celek at TE who is a jack of all trades, has decent hands and is a decent route runner as well.

Its not a great group but its a group that you can work with certainly. I think going forward they need to figure out who their QB is, whether its a guy already on the roster(doubtful) or someone that they draft, and then once they've done that, start adding weapons and pieces to help that guy play to his strengths.
Excellent post, and I have felt the same way, especially about Seattle. Seattle has pretty mediocre, one-dimensional receivers, but that's okay, because they don't ask more of them than to play to their strengths. I think that's a testament to the strong system they have in place.
Call to Detroit Lions. We can trade J.Simpson to Tates please.. Go to thread it Call Call to Detroit Lions now.
Call to Detroit Lions. We can trade J.Simpson to Tates please.. Go to thread it Call Call to Detroit Lions now.

You need to stop going out drinking with 9moon.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Unrookie lol

Unquaterback

You need to stop going out drinking with 9moon.

Lol yeah still gotta learn value of players for trades. Let's just sit pretty and sign Keyarris Garrett from Carolina as they try and sneak him on to their PS. Ain't fooling me! Quit hiding him Riverboat Ron
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
our offensive line is going to make everyone better!!

Originally posted by cciowa:
our offensive line is going to make everyone better!!

This...ABSOLUTELY!!!
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Lol yeah still gotta learn value of players for trades. Let's just sit pretty and sign Keyarris Garrett from Carolina as they try and sneak him on to their PS. Ain't fooling me! Quit hiding him Riverboat Ron

How has he looked in the preseason? I'd be all for the 49ers bringing in a guy like that.
Oh, man...PHX is so spot on re: needing a really good QB in addition to having decent receivers.

That is why I don't think we actually know who our receivers are...until we get our Franchise QB.

I don't argue with the 3 PHX named who are currently on the team. But once we have a hot shot at QB, assuming our FQ is the right one, then we can more readily discern who our receivers will be. No argument with PHX's 3. But once we have a good QB, then we will see who we have as WRs. I don't think any of those are on the team right now, but wiht mediocre QB play, it is hard to know. That said, I saw some nice passes last game and some nice receptions. Still we need to do better at QB. We well see much better QB play this yr tho, due to the vastly improved OL.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
WE don't need TATE.. we have Crimson WHITE!!
I think Quinton Patton should be cut, he has done nothing to earn a roster spot. Give the opportunity to a younger WR who might flash.

Jerome Simpson- see above.

Starters
Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington
Deandres Smelter, Dres Anderson, Cajust (big target) Tregs to IR

Like posted before, if you do not shake things up you will just have the same old stuff. Players who did not produce should be gone.
Share 49ersWebzone