LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Should Christian ponder make the team ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Christian ponder make the team ?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we're set with Gab, Kap and Driskel.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by susweel:
He's better than gabbert.

This

i think to make this declaration.. after seeing him in a small body of work vs guys who will not be in the nfl in two weeks.. is silly
I think wait and see how he does against the Packers. If he has the same type performance then I say keep him and give him a shot.
Originally posted by cciowa:

This

i think to make this declaration.. after seeing him in a small body of work vs guys who will not be in the nfl in two weeks.. is silly

well ya but they are basically the same type of QB IMO (watched him a lot in his FSU days) both athletic quick release QBs that are supposed to be accurate with short passes but lack the deep ball.

I thought Blaine played a little better this last game nothing too feel confident about at all though. Still wasn't pushing the ball downfield I mean at least give you WRs a chance to win those battles
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Since I got chewed out on here for concluding something let me ask this: What would is it say for this team if Christian Ponder - dear lord - comes in and makes the team?

It would mean that Kap isn't healthy enough to play and ends up on IR. Also it would mean Trent would keep 3 QBs and I don't think he ever has. So he would prob be on the PS.

Don't doubt any of that. I honestly think that if Kaep was healthy - with all his faults - this would not even be a "competition". I've said it before and Ill continue to say: Gabbert isn't beating out a healthy Kaep in a Chip Kelly offence.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

This

well ya but they are basically the same type of QB IMO (watched him a lot in his FSU days) both athletic quick release QBs that are supposed to be accurate with short passes but lack the deep ball.

I thought Blaine played a little better this last game nothing too feel confident about at all though. Still wasn't pushing the ball downfield I mean at least give you WRs a chance to win those battles

Blaine just playing it safe not trying to throw INT to kill his chance. He's rated as the 51st passer in preseason, 43rd ranked with 6.9 ypp. Ouch.
Originally posted by SoCold:

This

Blaine just playing it safe not trying to throw INT to kill his chance. He's rated as the 51st passer in preseason, 43rd ranked with 6.9 ypp. Ouch.

How can anyone feel confident in that? I mean yes Kap is not a elite QB we all get it, but the Blaine lovers think their going to bed with a hot blonde then waking up next to a 3
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:06 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

blaine does not make mistakes or has not so far and has not taken bad sacks. if that is what it takes for us to get back to being a good football team or even a respectable one.. i will take it over the wish for a guy who can fling it down the field
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Who's spot would he take? Driskel's? I don't see him taking anyone elses spot unless there is a trade.

Well he could be the #3 if we put Driskel on the PS.
Only if something happens to kap, trade, health, whatever.

blaine does not make mistakes or has not so far and has not taken bad sacks. if that is what it takes for us to get back to being a good football team or even a respectable one.. i will take it over the wish for a guy who can fling it down the field

Has any of our QBs taken many sacks or thrown a INT yet? And actually career wise he does make mistakes and poor throws (31 career INTs). I'm willing to give him a chance but IMHO and that's all it is he's not taking this team anywhere, you think he has the nuts to take the team down the field and score when were losing? outside of a wide open Smith TD he hasn't shown me anything and were going on 6 years in the league.

FYI I'm not talking about throwing hail Mary's down the field I'm talking about at least looking at your WRs past 5 yards, give them a chance to perform...I don't want another game manager QB for the next 4 years that can get us 5-7 wins. Let's keep the defense honest no one is scared of Blaine.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:07 AM ]
I have not finished watching the entire game, but didn't Ponder with and against 3rd stringers and guys trying to make a roster?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

This made me lol. Thanks.

5 years of complaining about Capt. Check Down. Now we wishing for Capt. Check Down.

lol
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Keep him. But I remember a previous QB we had, he used to be the preseason MVP and come gameday he choked
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
I have not finished watching the entire game, but didn't Ponder with and against 3rd stringers and guys trying to make a roster?

yes he also joined the team like 3 days prior lol I think he knew like 20 plays.
Share 49ersWebzone