LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Can Garnett play C?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Antix
  • Veteran
No

Im tired ofnteyong to convert Gs to Cs. I eant a center who has experience pkayong center..ekther from the draft or FA. Gaurds converted to centers always suck.
Can Garnett play?
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Can Garnett play?

Thats the question is too early to give up on the kid.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
He gone. Thanks Baalke.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Can Garnett play?

This. I still have a lot of questions about Garnett. Pass protection took a dip when he was inserted. I think going into next season banking on Garnett is a mistake. Hopefully, Erik Magnuson will throw his hat in the mix for a guard spot next year. It would be even better if he took LG from Laken Tomlinson this season.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 15, 2017 at 7:23 PM ]
Is Jeremy Newberry healthy yet?
Originally posted by Antix:
No

Im tired ofnteyong to convert Gs to Cs. I eant a center who has experience pkayong center..ekther from the draft or FA. Gaurds converted to centers always suck.

Lots of centers in the NFL were converted guards. You have a lot of guys who were excellent guards in college but too small or not powerful enough to play the position in the NFL. Basically you want to find someone that is cerebral, with tremendous awareness and the movement skills necessary for the position but who can also hold their own physically.

Ultimately I think the 49ers would be best off bringing in an experienced veteran from FA, there are going to be several quality options to choose from.
Let Garnett compete with Tomlinson for 1 G spot, Draft Nelson to solidify the other and sign either of Linsley, Jensen or Swanson to start at C..the loser of Garnett or Tomlinson is a back up along with a drafted OT and maybe resign Kilgore to back up C or maybe Magnuson can..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Let Garnett compete with Tomlinson for 1 G spot, Draft Nelson to solidify the other and sign either of Linsley, Jensen or Swanson to start at C..the loser of Garnett or Tomlinson is a back up along with a drafted OT and maybe resign Kilgore to back up C or maybe Magnuson can..

Originally posted by jersey49er:

When would you like to draft Nelson? He won't be available in round 2.

Linsley And Swanson are no better than Kilgore.

- Sign LG Andrew Norwell
- Start Garnett at his natural RG position
- Draft OSU's Billy Price in round 3
- Sign ATL backup center Ben Garland

CUT Tomlinson
CUT Beadles
Let Kilgore leave
Re-Sign Gilliam
Re-Sign Fusco

LT- Joe Staley
LG- Andrew Norwell / Erik Magnusen
C- Billy Price / Ben Garland
RG- Josh Garnett / Brandon Fusco
RT- Trent Brown / Garry Gilliam
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:45 PM ]

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Is Jeremy Newberry healthy yet?

This!
No

Remember to take off your mittens before posting . . .
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No

Lots of centers in the NFL were converted guards. You have a lot of guys who were excellent guards in college but too small or not powerful enough to play the position in the NFL. Basically you want to find someone that is cerebral, with tremendous awareness and the movement skills necessary for the position but who can also hold their own physically.

Ultimately I think the 49ers would be best off bringing in an experienced veteran from FA, there are going to be several quality options to choose from.

Converted Gs always suck for us. Its the only position we refuse to just get a guy that specializes only in that position. I say we just get a center that has played center for a while at a high level for a change.

Originally posted by fandemonium:

I have no idea what youre talking about...
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
no, he's injured.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No

Converted Gs always suck for us. Its the only position we refuse to just get a guy that specializes only in that position. I say we just get a center that has played center for a while at a high level for a change.

Originally posted by fandemonium:

I have no idea what youre talking about...

Bass wasn't too bad of a converted guard to center before he left to play center for the giants. The guy who was up there with Garnett as top guard prospect in that draft also got converted to center, Whitehair. That being said, I want a veteran center and wouldn't mind the team paying out for one.
[ Edited by walker807 on Nov 16, 2017 at 6:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone