LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Arrow up, down & flat

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Usually someone starts a "The good, the bad and the ugly" thread but I don't see it yet but feel free to take it over. Here are mine over those players who have a shot at making the team:

Arrow Up (new sus-style):
  • Carloe Hyde/Mike Davis - what needs to be said?
  • Daniel Kilgore - looked stronger to me and had a few seal blocks double-teaming DL and snapped well for his series
  • Andrew Tiller/Trenton Brown - pancake city and zero pressures; Davis wouldn't have had many of those big runs if not for these two; completely washed away their right side on running plays leaving the edge with only a TE to seal block; when successful = big runs off tackle
  • Joshua Garnett - solid start for the rookie; very steady and he looked stronger at LG than Beadles to me
  • Vance McDonald - still hasn't dropped a pass and added a tough catch in double coverage and a nice TD; one poor seal block
  • Jerome Simpson - made all the catches to get us 3 points before the half; commands more respect than Patton outside and tons of energy/hustle
  • Bruce Ellington/DeAndrew White - both had some nice crossing routes and seemed confident in return duties
  • Garrison Smith - holding the NT point and causing problems in the backfield
  • Ronald Blair - active versatile DL who flashed some and making plays; disruptive
  • Ray-Ray Armstrong/Nick Bellore - both flashed all night in the run defense and even as pass rushers
  • Aaron Lynch/Ahmad Brooks - both disruptive, got sacks and sealed the edge pretty well
  • Tank Carradine - didn't secure the edge at first from the SAM but settled down and started getting QB pressures and even splitting double-teams; solid start
  • Jimmie Ward/Tramaine Brock - Hopkins who? Blanket coverage all night
  • Dontae Johnson/Keith Reaser - nice coverage all night (a couple nice catches on them) but they were right there and Johnson added an epic ST tackle/hit
  • Chris Davis - won the slot job today IMHO. What a find!

Arrow Down:
  • DuJuan Harris - electric player who always finds positive yards but is known for fumbles; he fumbled at the worst time; but in watching it, Thad may have held onto it a bit too long being indecisive on the give/keep
  • Bryce Treggs - he appeared to press and just couldn't get open and couldn't get his assignments right in the return game (White leaped him yesterday)
  • Quinton Patton - absolutely blows outside; zero recognition when defenders were blitzing on his side, couldn't get any separation, can't catch a slant that hits his hands above the knees, commands no cushion, standing around watching, etc. Simpson won that job yesterday
  • Kenneth Acker - terrible series for him that lead to a TD
  • Bradley Pinion - two nice punts and a couple shanks; has to be more consistent at this stage
  • Michael Wilhoite - highlighted him getting washed out by lineman; both Ray-Ray and Bellore elevated over him yesterday
  • Joe Staley - Joe usually starts out a bit slow; moved around a lot, poor pass protection that lead to Gabbert's knee getting smashed, etc. No room to run off the left tackle

Arrow Flat:
  • Blaine Gabbert - 2 bad incompletions on the first series, found all the 1on1's, TD, quite a few drops and jitters; about what you'd expect (same thing from the $19M man in Brock on the other side; 27 total yards). Nothing spectacular but had a nice command of the offense, made all the right reads, bought time and first downs with his feet, took a bad illegal hit to the knee (Staley), etc.
  • Thad Lewis/Jeff Driskel - about what you'd expect from these two at this stage
  • Shaun Draughn - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Bruce Miller - mostly in to block
  • Garrett Celek/Blake Bell - better night in seal blocks and a couple targets/catches
  • Dres Anderson - not much but you can see his speed; jungle catch OOB
  • Torrey Smith/DiAndre Campbell - Both solid but TS didn't shield and Campbell came back for the pass but high
  • Zane Beadles/Marcus Martin - solid for Staley but not great; same with Beadles (pushed back) and Martin looked better but of course lets a guy run free right by him for a QB hit
  • Brandon Thomas - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Anthony Davis/Erik Pears - both looked decent and got beat a couple times and missed an assignment or two
  • DeForest Bucker/Quinton Dial - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Mike Purcell - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Eli Harold - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Gerald Hodges/Navarro Bowman - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Prince Charles Iworah - about what you'd expect; a flash and a miss
  • Antoine Bethea/Marcus Cromartie - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Kyle Nelson/Phil Dawson - consistent as always
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM ]
Damn... saying people "won the job" already? Too early to anoint guys like Chris Davis. Lets see a bigger sample

Someone to add to the ugly list is Smelter. Get on the field kid. Your career depends on it and its time to show something. Same w/ Kap. Although, the Kap thing is so weird who knows the real story. Obvious mgmt. wants Blaine.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
u don't even mention Belore? dude wsa all over the fkn place. Pretty sure it's Borland
Generally, for the 1st pre-season I will take that with a great deal of pleasure. The only real disappointment is Patton. The clock must be ticking for him. Acker and Pinion need to put some work in.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Damn... saying people "won the job" already? Too early to anoint guys like Chris Davis. Lets see a bigger sample

Someone to add to the ugly list is Smelter. Get on the field kid. Your career depends on it and its time to show something. Same w/ Kap. Although, the Kap thing is so weird who knows the real story. Obvious mgmt. wants Blaine.

Davis has been running with the starters since day 1 and his performance pretty much sealed it for me last night; you can see why he's been getting the rave reviews and his skill set pops out. He's the reason Reaser has been playing outside now.

But yeah, I didn't include anyone who didn't play or did enough on the field to merit some kind of assessment. Did Robinson even play?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
u don't even mention Belore? dude wsa all over the fkn place. Pretty sure it's Borland

Ray-Ray Armstrong/Nick Bellore - both flashed all night in the run defense and even as pass rushers

But you're right, I need to change his name to Chris Borland but I'm afraid if I do, he'll retire d/t CTE research.
Originally posted by English:
Generally, for the 1st pre-season I will take that with a great deal of pleasure. The only real disappointment is Patton. The clock must be ticking for him. Acker and Pinion need to put some work in.

Yeah, Simpson - Smith - Ellington should end up being your starters. Patton is on the bubble as a tweener with concentration issues.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Davis has been running with the starters since day 1 and his performance pretty much sealed it for me last night; you can see why he's been getting the rave reviews and his skill set pops out. He's the reason Reaser has been playing outside now.

But yeah, I didn't include anyone who didn't play or did enough on the field to merit some kind of assessment. Did Robinson even play?

Didn't notice Robinson, and I was looking for him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Usually someone starts a "The good, the bad and the ugly" thread but I don't see it yet but feel free to take it over. Here are mine over those players who have a shot at making the team:

Arrow Up (new sus-style):
  • Carloe Hyde/Mike Davis - what needs to be said?
  • Daniel Kilgore - looked stronger to me and had a few seal blocks double-teaming DL and snapped well for his series
  • Andrew Tiller/Trenton Brown - pancake city and zero pressures; Davis wouldn't have had many of those big runs if not for these two; completely washed away their right side on running plays leaving the edge with only a TE to seal block; when successful = big runs off tackle
  • Vance McDonald - still hasn't dropped a pass and added a tough catch in double coverage and a nice TD; one poor seal block
  • Jerome Simpson - made all the catches to get us 3 points before the half; commands more respect than Patton outside and tons of energy/hustle
  • Bruce Ellington/DeAndrew White - both had some nice crossing routes and seemed confident in return duties
  • Garrison Smith - holding the NT point and causing problems in the backfield
  • Ronald Blair - active versatile DL who flashed some and making plays; disruptive
  • Ray-Ray Armstrong/Nick Bellore - both flashed all night in the run defense and even as pass rushers
  • Aaron Lynch/Ahmad Brooks - both disruptive, got sacks and sealed the edge pretty well
  • Jimmie Ward/Tramaine Brock - Hopkins who? Blanket coverage all night
  • Dontae Johnson/Keith Reaser - nice coverage all night (a couple nice catches on them) but they were right there and Johnson added an epic ST tackle/hit
  • Chris Davis - won the slot job today IMHO. What a find!

Arrow Down:
  • DuJuan Harris - electric player who always finds positive yards but is known for fumbles; he fumbled at the worst time; but in watching it, Thad may have held onto it a bit too long being indecisive on the give/keep
  • Bryce Treggs - he appeared to press and just couldn't get open and couldn't get his assignments right in the return game (White leaped him yesterday)
  • Quinton Patton - absolutely blows outside; zero recognition when defenders were blitzing on his side, couldn't get any separation, can't catch a slant that hits his hands above the knees, commands no cushion, standing around watching, etc. Simpson won that job yesterday.
  • Kenneth Acker - terrible series for him that lead to a TD
  • Bradley Pinion - two nice punts and a couple shanks; has to be more consistent at this stage
  • Michael Wilhoite - highlighted him getting washed out by lineman; both Ray-Ray and Bellore elevated over him yesterday
  • Joe Staley - Joe usually starts out a bit slow; moved around a lot, poor pass protection that lead to Gabbert's knee getting smashed, etc. No room to run off the left tackle.

Arrow Flat:
  • Blaine Gabbert - 2 bad incompletions on the first series, found all the 1on1's, TD, quite a few drops and jitters; about what you'd expect (same thing from the $19M man in Brock on the other side; 27 total yards). Nothing spectacular but had a nice command of the offense, made all the right reads, bought time and first downs with his feet, took a bad illegal hit to the knee (Staley), etc.
  • Thad Lewis/Jeff Driskel - about what you'd expect from these two at this stage
  • Shaun Draughn - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Bruce Miller - mostly in to block
  • Garrett Celek/Blake Bell - better night in seal blocks and a couple targets/catches
  • Dres Anderson - not much but you can see his speed; jungle catch OOB
  • Torrey Smith/DiAndre Campbell - Both solid but TS didn't shield and Campbell came back for the pass but high
  • Zane Beadles/Marcus Martin - solid for Staley but not great; same with Beadles (pushed back) and Martin looked better but of course lets a guy run free right by him for a QB hit
  • Joshua Garnett/Brandon Thomas - solid night but nothing spectacular; Garnett looked stronger at LG than Beadles
  • Anthony Davis/Erik Pears - both looked decent and got beat a couple times and missed an assignment or two
  • DeForest Bucker/Quinton Dial - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Mike Purcell - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Eli Harold/Tank Carradine - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Gerald Hodges/Navarro Bowman - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Prince Charles Iworah - about what you'd expect; a flash and a miss
  • Antoine Bethea/Marcus Cromartie - solid night but nothing spectacular
  • Kyle Nelson/Phil Dawson - consistent as always

Thanks NC, this gives us all something to start arguing about!
NCommand. I didnt want to copy the whole post, but Garnett should be up. He had a perfect score last night. He was very good

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I'd tell them to hold onto the football.
Nice breakdown NC. My abbreviated version:

Arrow up:
Mike Davis
Vance McDonald
Starting O-line
Chris Davis
Nick Bellore
Garrison Smith
Keith Reaser

Arrow down:
Kenneth Acker
Bryce Treggs
Ian Silberman
Jeff Driskel

Arrow flat:
Blaine Gabbert
Anthony Davis
DuJuan Harris
Hodges/Wilhoite/Armstrong
DeAndrew White
Good stuff
I think Chris Davis did solidify himself as the starting nickel corner and Ray-Ray Armstrong now leads the competition starting next to Bo
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I think Chris Davis did solidify himself as the starting nickel corner and Ray-Ray Armstrong now leads the competition starting next to Bo

Agree on Davis, and you could be right about Armstrong. He was the highest rated defender yesterday per PFF, albeit in only 15 snaps.
Share 49ersWebzone