Players that need to be cut

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Constantine:
how is Pears still on this team

Training camp body at this point.

he will be gone after pre season game two.. let him take some practice punishment instead of our front line guys and promising rookies. if he gets hurt its ok.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This is a list of players i believe need to be cut in order to better the team, not a prediction list

C Marcus Martin: This dude has not showed any promise since he arrived 3 years ago. He got a shot at a starting gig when Kilgore went down N he never took advantage of it. I'd rather take my chances with a rookie who will come in much hungrier like Balducci. Ive seen enough of Martin to know if Kilgore goes down the O-line will suffer bcuz of his play.

DT Tony Jerod- Eddie: Another player that for some reason keeps finding a way to stay on the 53 man roster he add absolutely nothing to the defense whether its run stopping or putting pressure on the QB. Ronald Blair would be an upgrade over this guy.

G Brandon Thomas: Just like Marcus Martin this guy seems not fit to play this game. Both came in with high expectations N both have dissapointed in a major way this guy was suppose to be a steal when we drafted him in the 3rd round, projected late 1st round early 2nd round pick never was the same after blowing out his knee. Dude does not deserve a roster spot.

T Erik Pears: We all saw how horrible this guy is last season doesnt matter what position he plays he add no value to this team whatsover. With Anthony Davis back N the selection of John Theus this guy is expendable. Not to mention he is also 34 already

RB Shaun Draughn: The late FA addtion darling of the Zone. Yes he played a decent roll last year after loosing like 20 backs to injuries, BUT what i see this guy lacks is explosiveness to hit the hole on a consistant basis he is not a bruiser between the tackels type of guy. This guy seems more a pass catching back rather than a complete package back like Hyde. I really think Dujuan Harris can fill the void with that #2 spot guy can run in between the tackles outside N can pass catch as well he can do it all. There is not enough room for with this guy if Kelly wants to keep his other young bucks like Mike Davis N Kelvin Taylor. This makes him the odd man out.

TE Vance McDonald: Alot of you are going to disagree saying this guy is still learning the game he is still young, yeah i get it, but in my mind we have better suited TE's to help out in the passing game as well in the running department. Both Celek N Miller can fill that void. Blake Bell is just getting his feet wet. With his 1st full season as TE under his belt i expect the kid to just get better as the season progresses. He can be that red zone target we have lacked for quite a while, back to McDonald his inconsistency to hang on to the football can really hurt the team through the year. I really dont see him being a legit starter let alone a contributor on offense unless we are going to run all day long N just forgo the passing game as a whole.

WR Jerome Simpson: His past problems off the field are enough to want this guy off the roster. 2nd he has never taken full advantage of his opportunities to become a full time roster 7 years in this league N has bounced from team to team since entering the league. Yes hes had a great camp but the above reasons are enough for us to just move forward another thing he is a FA after this season is over i dont think the Niner brass wants to extend this 30 year old player with baggage. If Kelly really wants to keep the youth movement going then he has to look the other way N just cut the guy. Young Cats like Smelter, White, Cajuste, Treggs are ready to advantage of making this squad.

OLB Corey Lemonier: How in the hell did i forget to add this worthless bum on this list. I guess its a big question mark like every year how in the hell does this guy continue to make the final roster.

Honorable Mention WR Quinton Patton

This is all a bit premature I think. About the only names I agree with on this list at this particular moment in time are Pears and Lemonier. Martin and Thomas are still young and working on their rookie deals, no harm and seeing if they improve with a new system and coaches. Simpson is apparently having a pretty good camp and since none of the young guys have stepped up yet maybe he is a guy they will need to keep around for another year. TJE has been a steady if unspectacular rotational player for the D-line, I have no complaints about him and he seems to bat a lot of balls down at the line. MacDonald had the best eight game stretch of his career when Gabbert took over last year so he will get another chance to contribute because of his blocking and because Kelly apparently uses TE's a lot in his offense. Celek is a lock, Miller is a wait and see proposition,and I am intrigued by Bell and Anderson. I imagine MacDonald will really have to stink it up to be cut this year which I think is the final year of his contract. I like Draughn and Gabbert and the coaches seem to as well so I don't see any need to move him. I suspect the guy on the bubble will be Davis. Patton is a guy that clearly wants to be good and wants to contribute, he has been his own worst enemy for much of his career because of his immaturity and a habit for making bone headed penalties on plays that have actually gone for good yardage and then were called back I think this is also his contract year so he will have something to play for. I think the end of the preseason is probably a better time to discuss then before a single game has been played and no one knows what the injury situation might be in four weeks.
Originally posted by susweel:
I wouldn't cut any of them all of our players are awesome. I bet we could package a lot of them for draft picks because our roster is so deep.

We won't cut anyone. All 90 players will file for retirement because our FO sucks and no one wants to play here.

All games will be 1-0 losses due to forfit.
Gabbert
all I can say is this, if Baalke was considered a joke in this league(nobody is, everyone has had busts,heck Pats cut Easley who was a first two years ago?)... Kelly would've never came here.

Back to cuts, I like Draughn, I really do. Just don't think he's explosive enough for this offense. So Harris/Mike D/Taylor will earn #2/3 RB spots IMO.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
McDonald, Simpson and Draughn should and will stay

This

Mike Davis needs to be on this list
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Eric fisher took a long time to develop, at least let the young linemen finish their 4 year contract.

Eric Fisher was a 1st round pick though, but just bcuz you are a 1st round pick doesnt mean you'll get the opportunity to finish off your rookie contract. Remember this guy.

Lol!
This guy made Rashaun Woods look good!
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Joe Staley

-9moon
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Eric fisher took a long time to develop, at least let the young linemen finish their 4 year contract.

Eric Fisher was a 1st round pick though, but just bcuz you are a 1st round pick doesnt mean you'll get the opportunity to finish off your rookie contract. Remember this guy.

Lol!
This guy made Rashaun Woods look good!

He still fishing?
A little premature to talk about cutting some of the younger guys. I am not high on Marcus Martin, but I am willing to give him another year. This would be more appropriate after the 2nd or 3rd preseason game.

Obvious:

Erik Pears -- Pretty obvious he's got to go.

Brandon Thomas -- Time is quickly running out. Team loaded up on G depth in the off-season and he's shown very little for 2 years.

Corey Lemonier -- I thought he'd fail to make the 53, but Lynch's suspension necessitates we keep him on the roster at least 4 weeks.

Wilhoite or Armstrong -- I'm in favor of starting the season with only 3 ILBs. Don't feel like the players at this position group are good enough to justify keeping 4. Would rather retain talent at other spots. Bowman and Hogdes start, only one of Wilhoite or Armstrong remains.

(Dis)Honorable mention:

Marcus Martin -- He's been downright awful since drafted, but still young and nobody appears to be challenging him for backup C. Otherwise his performance would get most other players cut.

Possible surprises:

Glenn Dorsey -- Oft-injured and behind both Dial and Purcell at NT.

Zane Beadles -- If he fails to secure a starting job, he might get cut a la Shareece Wright. Garnett/Tiller combo is very appealing.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
I wouldn't cut any of them all of our players are awesome. I bet we could package a lot of them for draft picks because our roster is so deep.

We won't cut anyone. All 90 players will file for retirement because our FO sucks and no one wants to play here.

All games will be 1-0 losses due to forfit.

Dude haven't you seen the replacements? Just give Keanu Reeves a call.... championship.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Dude haven't you seen the replacements? Just give Keanu Reeves a call.... championship.

Shane Falco!

aka Johnny Utah
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Shane Falco!

aka Johnny Utah

Heck yes! And Clifford Franklin could be the answer to all our receiver problems.
Kaep
Share 49ersWebzone