LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Surprise Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's time to predict your surprise Training Camp players...ones who you predict will actually contribute to the team this season...not Kory Sheets-like players.

Who...and why?

90-man Roster: (Inactive PUP/NFI/Injured Reserved/Suspension/Injured-Out/Pending)

Offensive Personnel: (2015 Snap Count) --- 43
QB: Blaine Gabbert (509); Colin Kaepernick (502), Jeff Driskel (0) & Thad Lewis (0)
RB1: Carlos Hyde (292); Mike Davis (126), Shaun Draughn (253) & Kendall Gaskins (16)
RB2: DuJuan Harris (61); Kelvin Taylor (0)
MTE: Vance McDonald (468); Bruce Miller (143) & Busta Anderson (0)
TE: Garrett Celek (399) & Blake Bell (352); Jamie Childers (0)
X WR (LEFT): Eric Rogers (0); Quinton Patton (424), DeAndrew White (30) & Dres Anderson (0)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington (143); Aaron Burbridge (0) & Bryce Treggs (0)
Z WR (RIGHT): Torrey Smith (772); Jerome Simpson (85), DeAndre Smelter (0), DiAndre Campbell (0) & Devon Cajuste (0)
LOT: Joe Staley (1,011); Colin Kelly (0) & Norman Price (0)
LG: Zane Beadles (1,058); Andrew Tiller (614), Ian Silberman (0) & Blake Muir (0)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267); Marcus Martin (819) & Alex Balducci (0)
RG: Joshua Garnett (0); Brandon Thomas (0) & Fahn Cooper (0)
ROT: Anthony Davis (0); Trenton Brown (186),Erik Pears (1,011) & John Theus (0)

Defensive Personnel: --- 42
RDE: DeForest Bucker (0); Tony Jerod Eddie (290), B.J. McBryde (0) & Demetrius Cherry (0)
NT: Quinton Dial (640); Mike Purcell (288), Darren Lake (0) & Garrison Smith (0) (Ian Williams - 659)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375); Ronald Blair (0) (Glenn Dorsey - 45)
WILL: Eli Harold (337); Marcus Rush (0) & Jason Fanaika (0)
ELEPHANT: Tank Carradine (223)
TED: Gerald Hodges (366); Michael Wilhoite (616), Ray-Ray Armstrong (0) & Wynton McManis (0)
MIKE: Navarro Bowman (1,098); Shayne Skov (8) & Nick Bellore (7)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (793); Ahmad Brooks (741), Corey Lemonier (271) & Lenny Jones (0)
RCB: Jimmie Ward (730); Dontae Johnson (366) & Rashard Robinson (0)
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser (79); Will Redmond (0) & Chris Davis (17)
LCB: Tramaine Brock (1,064); Kenneth Acker (807) & Prince Charles Iworah (0)
HYBRID S/ILB: Jaquiski Tartt (719)
FS: Eric Reid (1,113); L.J. McCray (0) & Jered Bell (0)
SS: Jimmie Ward (730); Antoine Bethea (440) & Marcus Cromartie (122)

Special Teams: --- 4
LS: Kyle Nelson (140)
PK: Phil Dawson (55); John Lunsford (0)
P: Bradley Pinion (197)

PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington, DeAndrew White, DeAndre Smelter, DuJuan Harris & Bryce Treggs
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM ]
Driskel throws for 3 tds and runs for 2 more out of punt formation, becoming our highest rated qb.
I got 3 players I'm hopeful for.

1. My boy Ray Ray Armstrong. In college he was considered one of the top Safeties at Miami and has not found a position in the NFL. If he can handle ILB he has the size and athleticism to cover pretty much any TE not named Gronkowski.

2. Dres Anderson. With an open position after Smith now is his chance to take a step forward and be a contributor.

3. Tank Carradine. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think he will lock down the starting OLB position by the end of preseason. Harold will be a good rotational player kinda a thunder and lightning combo on the edge with tank once Lynch returns.
Bold-ish Predictions!

• Bell earns starting position by season's end.
  • Martin takes huge jump and becomes key backup at OC and OG
  • A Davis traded early in season after playing enough to show he's back
  • Harold takes a huge leap forward and earns the starting position opposite Lynch
  • Dial starts ahead of Buckner for at least a few games
  • DL rotates at least seven players on a regular basis--Dial, Buckner, Armstead, Williams, Dorsey, Purcell, Blair
  • O'Neil unveils new defense--four DL and seven CBs
Here are my potential surprise players (under-the-radar players; not considered original starters or big contributors):

DuJuan Harris - everyone keeps talking about Draughn but Harris has some electricity to him. In the IZ/OZ runs, behind a much better OL and in this system, this guy has a chance to be the perfect compliment to Hyde and he has nice hands as well.
Eric Rogers - we have massive completion at one of the two outside receiver positions. Once the pads come on, I have feeling he's really going to separate himself and just lock down the other spot opposite of Torrey and Ellington.
Aaron Burbridge - this is a kid who is going to challenge Ellington for the Swiss-army-knife role in this offense...outside, in the slot, out of the backfield, screens, wheel routes, reverses, direct snaps, fly sweeps, etc. The 4th and 5th WR's in Kelly's system gets about 50% of the snaps.
Bryce Treggs - keep your eye on this kid. A field stretcher to back up Torrey Smith but will make his mark on punt returns beating out Ellington who becomes more valuable to us as a slot WR and Swiss-army-knife.
Dres Anderson - 6'2" and a smooth route runner; a technician. I think he's going to beat out Smelter.
Andrew Tiller - everyone thinks Beadles has the LG spot locked down. Not so fast. This should be a battle until the very end.
Trenton Brown - Anthony Davis is back, eh? Is he though? Brown has the skill set to not only challenge him but win that spot. He's way ahead in the scheme and now he has even more motivation to get in tip tip condition. It wouldn't even surprise me if they split snaps all year either.
Ronald Blair - with the expected attention AA and DeFo will get, he could surprise coming in to pass rush inside and on stunts.
Darren Lake/Mike Purcell - Safe to say both have a golden opportunity here.
Demetrius Cherry - goodbye TJE!
Marcus Rush - added more weight, strength and muscle, he has a very legit chance to be our Dan Skuta 2.0.
Rashard Robinson - Torrey Smith raved about this kid. There's a chance if Ward wins an outside spot, he'll slide inside a lot too which means we could be seeing quite a few combinations of two long CB's outside in Dontae Johnson and Rashard Robinson.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I got 3 players I'm hopeful for.

1. My boy Ray Ray Armstrong. In college he was considered one of the top Safeties at Miami and has not found a position in the NFL. If he can handle ILB he has the size and athleticism to cover pretty much any TE not named Gronkowski.

2. Dres Anderson. With an open position after Smith now is his chance to take a step forward and be a contributor.

3. Tank Carradine. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think he will lock down the starting OLB position by the end of preseason. Harold will be a good rotational player kinda a thunder and lightning combo on the edge with tank once Lynch returns.

Really nice choices there! I bags Smelter making it over Dres Anderson but honestly, that's just right now...Dres is a smooth route runner and it's 6'2". He is certainly more accomplished compared to Smelter and could surprise this year indeed.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM ]
Blair is going to be the best of the rookie class!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Bold-ish Predictions!

• Bell earns starting position by season's end.
  • Martin takes huge jump and becomes key backup at OC and OG
  • A Davis traded early in season after playing enough to show he's back
  • Harold takes a huge leap forward and earns the starting position opposite Lynch
  • Dial starts ahead of Buckner for at least a few games
  • DL rotates at least seven players on a regular basis--Dial, Buckner, Armstead, Williams, Dorsey, Purcell, Blair
  • O'Neil unveils new defense--four DL and seven CBs

Shoot...O'Neil could do that...take both Bowman and Hodges off the field for Tartt and Ray-Ray for coverages.
Robinson starting by end of year is my biggest prediction.
  • Ronald Blair
  • One of the rookie CBs
  • Dres Anderson
  • Eli Harold
  • Eric Rodgers
  • Blake Bell
  • Kelvin Taylor

Originally posted by walker807:
Robinson starting by end of year is my biggest prediction.

Yeah I was trying to remember this guys name
I agree
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
  • Ronald Blair
  • One of the rookie CBs
  • Dres Anderson
  • Eli Harold
  • Eric Rodgers
  • Blake Bell
  • Kelvin Taylor

Also, really nice choices North.
I think Balducci suprises with the transition to C. He'll perform at least well enough to crack the 53
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think Balducci suprises with the transition to C. He'll perform at least well enough to crack the 53

That would be a pleasant surprise.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Cajuste, Rodgers, Bell and Blair for me.

What I find interesting is we now have a number of very versatile guys, some might say tweeners, but I think we're going to be very unpredictable with a lot of play calls using those guys in unusual ways.
Share 49ersWebzone