There are 204 users in the forums

SF 49ers worth $2.7 billion.........why?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Forbes ranks the 49ers as the 10th highest value in all of pro sports, 5th in the NFL behind Cowboys, Pats, Giants and Skins. Jeb has his spoiled little behind sitting on a 2.7 billion dollar franchise.

My question is why? Is the 49er brand really that popular, or is the rent just too damn high? Is it all the tech companies buying out the suites at Levi's? I know Jeb isn't selling that much merchandise these days with the nonames on the roster. Plus I can get all that stuff from eBay or Mexico for a tenth of the retail price. It must just be the new stadium right?
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Major market, lots of fans, new stadium
[ Edited by Homer on Jul 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM ]
A lot of it is they're still riding the coat tails of the Walsh years. Even if that was decades ago now, Walsh and Co. made the 49ers the F-ing 49ers. Some of it is probably the new stadium and the location of the team as well. It's everything taken together. Unless we are at the beginning of the next run of prominence right now, the 49ers will probably drop from that spot.
New stadium PSLs and low expenses and bargain big labor.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Saving over $53 million/year on the salary cap [edit] *sarcasm*
[ Edited by Chico on Jul 15, 2016 at 12:12 PM ]
Because every NFL team is worth a lot now a days. Plus they built a new stadium. Not because they are competent owners. Far from it. In spite of them being the owners.
Jed is a businessman first and foremost
2.7 billion Whiners-worth
They're still a premier team, in the premier league, in a premier location, in a premier stadium.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Forbes ranks the 49ers as the 10th highest value in all of pro sports, 5th in the NFL behind Cowboys, Pats, Giants and Skins. Jeb has his spoiled little behind sitting on a 2.7 billion dollar franchise.

My question is why? Is the 49er brand really that popular, or is the rent just too damn high? Is it all the tech companies buying out the suites at Levi's? I know Jeb isn't selling that much merchandise these days with the nonames on the roster. Plus I can get all that stuff from eBay or Mexico for a tenth of the retail price. It must just be the new stadium right?

Merchandise sales is part of the NFL profit sharing so it doesn't really matter if the team is full of no names or whatever....The only team that doesn't share on merchandise sales is Dallas.

The reason they moved up is because of the new stadium. Each franchise retains its suite club seating and sponsorship revenues from naming rights and other properties http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-revenue-sharing-television-contracts-2014-season-business-model-nba-nhl-mlb-comparison-salary-cap/gu0xok7mphu01x3vu875oeaq6

So they made a s**t ton of cash off of box suits, season ticket holders, sponsorship (Levi yahoo etc) plus holding events throughout the year (Wrestlemania, Tsizzle concerts, SB etc).

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Stadium. That's pretty much all of it. "Assets"
Originally posted by Chico:
Saving over $53 million/year on the salary cap

Yet the 4 teams ahead of us in Forbes....

1. Dallas
  2. New England
  3. Washington
  4. New York Giants

Don't have $50 plus in cap space....and the Browns, Titans, and Jags who all are the next highest in cap space are ranked 25th,26th, and 27th among Forbes in team value so we can put that "saving" money in cap space bolney to bed.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
We are that popular.
Dallas hasn't won s**t in how long???

WAS is always terrible

And you are asking why we are 5th in the NFL? lol
Forbes will bump them down a spot next month, factoring in the LA Rams move
Share 49ersWebzone