LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Why we are going to win 9-10 games!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Pokemon Go will lead us...
Originally posted by Dicekiller:
A wild card scenario seems fun to think about. Not totally implausible. As much as I'd like the Seahawks to suddenly fall off the cliff, either they or the Cardinals are guaranteed one wild card spot. I really doubt the NFC South or East are going to have someone get the other one, as they'll all slap each other around like they usually do to mediocre records overall. Which just leaves the North. No way Packers lose the division again, so that just leaves the Vikings the Niners would have to compete with for that spot.

I don't see the Niners getting a better record, but I could see a tie, which would put the conference record as the tie breaker if I'm remembering correctly. I can't really guess that, but I do see the us having a better divisional record at least. Swept by the Seahawks, split with the Cardinals (almost happened last year with Tomsula), sweep the Rams, for 3-3. Vikings get swept by the Packers, and split with both Bears and Lions, for 2-4. Gives the Niners a better conference record from that alone that they would have to hold on to with the rest of the games.
Originally posted by beatintina49:
I love the positivity here, people even taking about the playoffs! Not gonna happen my friends we're the worst team in not only our division but possibly the entire nfc conference.

Nice post and rational Dicekiller...and I can understand beatintina49's perspective too.

The fact of the matter is that as of TODAY...right NOW...neither camp really knows anything one way or another. Those that are saying we're the worst team in the league next to the Browns (who beat us BTW) are relying on a very very small sample size under extreme circumstances last year and that included the benching of a Franchise QB for a backup who played equal snaps and performed just as well, if not slightly better. The other camp is looking at flashes of potential and one of the youngest roster's in the game and viewing them as a developing core (outside Bowman & Staley) who, if they had more NFL experience/snaps and under better coaching and a scheme that highlighted their talents better, we're talking a potential Wild Card spot.

I guess that's what makes this season so exciting...low expectations with potential for a surprising run/quick-development and a fan base that is open to each possibility. Another intangible to consider is how many at 4949 have something to prove this year from Gamble to Baalke to Kelly to Kaepernick/Gabbert to Hyde to Ward to Beadles to Carradine.

Either way, both camps will have a much better grasp on what's reality by the end of the season.
Originally posted by NCommand:
A wild card scenario seems fun to think about. Not totally implausible. As much as I'd like the Seahawks to suddenly fall off the cliff, either they or the Cardinals are guaranteed one wild card spot. I really doubt the NFC South or East are going to have someone get the other one, as they'll all slap each other around like they usually do to mediocre records overall. Which just leaves the North. No way Packers lose the division again, so that just leaves the Vikings the Niners would have to compete with for that spot.

I don't see the Niners getting a better record, but I could see a tie, which would put the conference record as the tie breaker if I'm remembering correctly. I can't really guess that, but I do see the us having a better divisional record at least. Swept by the Seahawks, split with the Cardinals (almost happened last year with Tomsula), sweep the Rams, for 3-3. Vikings get swept by the Packers, and split with both Bears and Lions, for 2-4. Gives the Niners a better conference record from that alone that they would have to hold on to with the rest of the games.
I love the positivity here, people even taking about the playoffs! Not gonna happen my friends we're the worst team in not only our division but possibly the entire nfc conference.

Nice post and rational Dicekiller...and I can understand beatintina49's perspective too.

The fact of the matter is that as of TODAY...right NOW...neither camp really knows anything one way or another. Those that are saying we're the worst team in the league next to the Browns (who beat us BTW) are relying on a very very small sample size under extreme circumstances last year and that included the benching of a Franchise QB for a backup who played equal snaps and performed just as well, if not slightly better. The other camp is looking at flashes of potential and one of the youngest roster's in the game and viewing them as a developing core (outside Bowman & Staley) who, if they had more NFL experience/snaps and under better coaching and a scheme that highlighted their talents better, we're talking a potential Wild Card spot.

I guess that's what makes this season so exciting...low expectations with potential for a surprising run/quick-development and a fan base that is open to each possibility. Another intangible to consider is how many at 4949 have something to prove this year from Gamble to Baalke to Kelly to Kaepernick/Gabbert to Hyde to Ward to Beadles to Carradine.

Either way, both camps will have a much better grasp on what's reality by the end of the season.

All true, plenty of potential, but no stars... At least not yet. Going into a season I prefer to think of the positives, and will adjust my thinking and aspirations as we move through the season. That doesn't mean many of us, myself included, don't know we have some serious issues, but right now we, as you say, just don't know how this is going to play out. I personally prefer a positive outlook when things are this uncertain.
Originally posted by mojave45:

All true, plenty of potential, but no stars... At least not yet. Going into a season I prefer to think of the positives, and will adjust my thinking and aspirations as we move through the season. That doesn't mean many of us, myself included, don't know we have some serious issues, but right now we, as you say, just don't know how this is going to play out. I personally prefer a positive outlook when things are this uncertain.

This is from another poster...the bolded is probably applicable to all positions right now save for a few.

QB: Kap/Gabbert
RB: Hyde
X: Smith
Z: Smelter/Rodgers
Y: Ellington
TE: Celek/Mac/Bell (who the hell knows?)
LT: Staley
LG: Beadles/Garnett
C: Kilgore
RG: Garnett/Beadles
RT: Brown

RDE: AA
NT: Dial/Purcell/Dorsey/Williams (Williams when healthy)
LDE: Buckner
Sam: Lynch
Will: Harold/Tank
Mike: Bowman
Jack: Hodges/Willhoite
LCB: Brock
RCB: Johnson/Acker/Reaser
NCB: Ward/Redmond/Reaser
Nickel Jack or dime back: Tartt
FS: Reid/Ward
SS: Bethea/Ward

Where is the glaring weakness? Keeping in mind that championship rosters are mostly role players with a spattering of star talent, where are we vulnerable? QB is a distinct possibility, but Chip has historically been able to squeeze blood from a turnip at that position. TE and WR seem more unknown than they are bad. OL is more talented; hopefully they jell quickly. Depth behind Hyde is worrisome, but I think Draughn and Harris are solid but not special in any way. Maybe Taylor or Hyde will impress

Defense seems solid. Hodges/Willhoite will look better behind this line, IMO, and the CBs shouldn't be on an island forever anymore. Reid either takes consistently better angles, or he is replaced by Ward, who is going to be exciting as a safety. Dude gets to the ball like no one else we have, either to make the tackle or get that ball.
Here's an article covering both camps as they stand today. Parts I don't agree with.

Breaking down new-look 49ers: Carlos Hyde to Chip Kelly's rescue
July 17, 2016 10:30am EDTJuly 17, 2016 10:07am EDT
By Vinnie Iyer
Updated at 10:30 a.m. ET

Colin Kaepernick or Blaine Gabbert? It's the storyline that has dominated the first few months of Chip Kelly's tenure as 49ers head coach.

But San Francisco faces a lot more core offensive questions. Unlike in Philadelphia, where he inherited a roster with plenty of versatile weapons, Kelly must dig deeper right away to find his best playmakers.

Charged with a rebuilding team instead of a reloading team to begin his second NFL coaching stint, Kelly faces challenges everywhere. Before the Niners go to training camp July 30, we break down their roster, starting with where that starting QB competition stands.

— Quarterbacks: Gabbert should be considered the favorite to start Week 1. He came in with some knowledge of Kelly's concepts and applied them well early in the offseason. He also took advantage of Kaepernick having to recover from his shoulder, thumb and knee surgeries. It's not enough for Kaepernick to be healthy — he must show a lot in 11-on-11 work and preseason games to displace Gabbert. Kelly likes Gabbert to the point he needs to see a lot of that old Kaepernick wow factor to reverse course.

Behind them, Jeff Driskel, the athletic, sixth-round rookie hand-picked for Kelly's style of offense, has been impressive, validating his status as a worthy developmental project. That's key, because the status of both Kaepernick and Gabbert (a free agent in 2017) aren't certain beyond the short term. For now, Thaddeus Lewis is tabbed as the No 3., but it would be smarter to keep Driskel on the active roster, instead.

— Running backs: Carlos Hyde has come back strong from his foot injury so far, and Kelly has big plans for his best offensive asset; plans that will further test whether Hyde can hold up as a durable feature back in the NFL. Hyde is packed with the power Kelly likes on early downs. The question is whether Kelly can help him become a viable threat in the passing game, which hasn't been a part of Hyde's game. That's what makes Shaun Draughn the ideal backup, because he can complement Hyde well in the third-down "Sproles Role." Kelly should lean a lot on Hyde, a little on Draughn and not much else in this backfield. The No. 3 is a battle between rookie sixth-rounder Kelvin Taylor (Fred's son) and 27-year-old journeyman DuJuan Harris. Second-year man Mike Davis looks like the odd one out.

— Wide receivers:The only thing the 49ers know about this group is that speedy Torrey Smith will be the frequently-targeted No. 1. The best bet among the rest is Bruce Ellington, set up to be the busy slot man Kelly features in his offenses. Quinton Patton is the default second outside guy going into camp, but there's nothing special size- or speed-wise about his game. Eric Rogers was signed after dominating the Canadian Football League last season and does have that kind of size (6-3, 210 pounds) and speed. He deserves a shot to win at least the No. 4 spot in camp. The 49ers should give him that chance in a bottom-roster logjam that includes three second-year players (DeAndrew White, Dres Anderson, DeAndre Smelter), two rookies (Aaron Burbidge, Devon Cajuste) and one somewhat known name (Jerome Simpson). The 49ers should end up keeping six wideouts, and upside will be key with the second three.

— Tight ends: The 49ers are thrilled about Vance McDonald taking his game as an athletic pass-catcher to the next level. After Vernon Davis was traded last November, McDonald was a big-time target for Gabbert and will pick up where he left off. It's appropriate that the 49ers re-signed Garrett Celek, because he'll need to be what his older brother Brent was for Kelly: the trusty, in-line run blocker of this group. Blake Bell, once regarded in the same light as McDonald under the previous coaching regime, is likely to be bulldozed off the roster. Converted fullback Bruce Miller offers Kelly more versatility behind McDonald and Celek. This is Kelly's strongest offensive unit.

— Offensive line: The 49ers not too long ago had the league's best offensive line, but Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone left to leave left tackle Joel Staley as the only stud standing. Turning 32 in August, Staley is still a Pro Bowl anchor, and he needs to be with the other four positions in flux. Rookie first-round pick Josh Garnett should win either of the starting guard jobs. Left guard may be his best position, but the Niners have a better veteran fallback there in Zane Beadles. Between Beadles and Garnett, Daniel Kilgore should be safe at center ahead of second-year man Marcus Martin.

The tough decision comes at right tackle. Erik Pears, now 34, wasn't very good last season but is getting a chance to redeem himself as the first-teamer over Trent Brown going into camp. Brown, only 23, showed massive upside with his 6-8, 325-pound frame in 2015, but his still-developing skill set doesn't yet mesh with what Kelly wants outside. Rookie fifth-rounders Fahn Cooper and John Theus are likely to be swing backups at first, even with standout camps.

— Defensive line: This line also has been hit with wholesale changes since the 49ers made their Super Bowl run four seasons ago. They inched closer to getting back by using the No. 7 overall pick on ideal 3-4 end DeForest Buckner, a better player than Arik Armstead, the Oregon end the Niners took in the first round last year. Buckner should step in, stop the run and provide some needed pass-rush pop on their three-man front. At the other edge spot, Armstead should expect to play a lot more with incumbent Glenn Dorsey trying to come back from a bad knee injury. Same goes for nose tackle Quinton Dial, as the starter there, Ian Williams, won't be healthy for camp after an offseason ankle injury. After Buckner, the 49ers' best strength on the line is in numbers, as they have eight bodies to keep in the rotation.

— Linebackers: Through all the change, the 49ers are fortunate to still have savvy and stable outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks and inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman. Aaron Lynch, when he returns from a four-game suspension, has established himself as good playmaking compment opposite Brooks. As for who lines up next to Bowman, it will be hard for the 49ers to go with Michael Wilhoite after a bad 2015 season. That job should go to Gerald Hodges, who made his case as a steadier option off the bench last season. Ray-Ray Armstrong isn't built to play as a defensive regular and should remain the top backup. He's capable of filling in at all four positions.

— Secondary: Tramaine Brock returns as their best outside cover man and remains a little underrated as a No. 1. At the other cornerback, the 49ers are hoping 2014 first-rounder Jimmie Ward can make a huge leap. He was very good in the slot role, and there is promise for more strong nickel play with former Auburn star Chris Davis replacing Ward. They can be an above-average trio if they get a little more pass-rush help. Rookies Will Redmond and Rashard Robinson project as the best depth behind them.

Free safety Eric Reid, with some Malcolm Jenkins- and Tashaun Gipson-like qualties, should rebound well in defenisve coordinator Jim O'Neil's scheme. Antoine Bethea should hold his ground as the strong safety, but he turns 32 before camp, and a shoulder injury cut short his 2015 season. It opens the door for second-year safety Jaquiski Tartt to take over that role sometime during the season. He brings both youth and impact vs. the pass.

— Bottom line: The 49ers are embracing Kelly's up-tempo style all around, but they aren't positioned to fire the ball around and light up the scoreboard. They need to be a run-heavy team that picks its spots in the passing game. The offensive personnel dictates it, and so do the shorcomings on their defensive front.

Overall, the 49ers' talent suggests they willl remain a distant fourth in the NFC West.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/san-francisco-49ers-2016-preview-depth-chart-quarterback-kelly-kaepernick/4ic7yy6f8zsr126wd0hlh1tw0
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 17, 2016 at 8:51 AM ]
The enthusiasm is commendable but the reality of the situation is this. The Niners have major question marks on their offense at QB, WR and OL. My hope was that their defense would carry them a bit until the offense found their stride and had a passing attack to take the pressure off of their best player in Carlos Hyde. Now, Lynch will be out for a key stretch at the start of the season with two division games in the first four. The rest of the schedule is daunting as well. I am hoping for a 6-7 win season in which Chip Kelly energizes the offense and the defense steals a couple of extra wins. Anything above that would be fantastic, but not expected.
I'd be happy with this...
8-8
Blakey Muirs will lead us to the Arby's Bowl
Why are people so down on Acker, Johnson and Riser? Are unproven rookies really expected to be that much better than them? I understand jimmy ward getting a shot at corner but I'd rather keep him as the main nickel guy.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Jul 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Why are people so down on Acker, Johnson and Riser? Are unproven rookies really expected to be that much better than them? I understand jimmy ward getting a shot at corner but I'd rather keep him as the main nickel guy.

He's not Ackerate. Johnson is a Johnson. Riser ain't rising.

No, JK

TBH, Johnson should get more playing time, and Riser hardly ever got playing time so hopefully he gets a lot of plays in preseason. Acker made more good plays than bad, but jury still out on him...

— Defensive line: This line also has been hit with wholesale changes since the 49ers made their Super Bowl run four seasons ago. They inched closer to getting back by using the No. 7 overall pick on ideal 3-4 end DeForest Buckner, a better player than Arik Armstead, the Oregon end the Niners took in the first round last year. Buckner should step in, stop the run and provide some needed pass-rush pop on their three-man front. At the other edge spot, Armstead should expect to play a lot more with incumbent Glenn Dorsey trying to come back from a bad knee injury. Same goes for nose tackle Quinton Dial, as the starter there, Ian Williams, won't be healthy for camp after an offseason ankle injury. After Buckner, the 49ers' best strength on the line is in numbers, as they have eight bodies to keep in the rotation.

This is where my optimism is based off of, how I think the DLine will perform. It would be one thing if the defense was obviously terrible at everything last year, but they just seemed pretty inconsistent, especially with the difference between their home and away performances. An improved DLine should increase the consistency of the defense overall, moreso than individually improving at either linebacker or secondary. Buckner is the obvious improvement, but I really liked the Blair pick and think his performance in the rotation will be key. The Rams game is really going to make or break my hopes for the DLine. It's all going to depend on how well they handle Gurley.
[ Edited by Dicekiller on Jul 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone