LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Hybrid front 4 on Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think if we play 5 DBs maybe they should try Buckner on the edge. What experiment would u might like to see, or thoughts
Originally posted by okieniner:
I think if we play 5 DBs maybe they should try Buckner on the edge. What experiment would u might like to see, or thoughts

You can't play 5 DBs as a base defense. Teams would run all over us. If one of those DBs was essentially a LB like Buchanon in Arizona, that could possibly work (it'd be Tartt, of course), but even then, you need to be stronger up front.

That's not to say the team can't play a lot of nickel. Maybe even most downs. But on first down (unless there are 3 WRs lined up), you gotta go w/ a 3-4-4.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

You can't play 5 DBs as a base defense. Teams would run all over us. If one of those DBs was essentially a LB like Buchanon in Arizona, that could possibly work (it'd be Tartt, of course), but even then, you need to be stronger up front.

That's not to say the team can't play a lot of nickel. Maybe even most downs. But on first down (unless there are 3 WRs lined up), you gotta go w/ a 3-4-4.

I was thinking more like a 4:3:4 but yes ur right, and agree on Tartt
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

What would you think if in the 3:4:4 every once in a while Buckner was slipped into OLB
What would you think if in the 3:4:4 every once in a while Buckner was slipped into OLB

Against a run play would you want Buckner as DE or OLB? I'd rather see him at DE. On a pass play, the OLB may have to do some pass coverage and I'm not sure how good Buckner would be at that. The defensive coordinator could always call a blitz or stunt to pressure the QB every time Buckner lined up as an OLB and it's possible he may have some success at that although I think he may be a little slow for coming from the outside. But if the defensive coordinator called a stunt or blitz every time Buckner lined up at OLB, the opposing offensive coordinator could easily pick that up and dial up a play to neutralize it - IOW, it could easily be a "tell". But, trying Buckner at OLB on rare occasions just to see how it goes probably wouldn't be a bad thing. I just am skeptical of it being all that successful, but I will say it would be cool if he turned out to be good at it.
Lets leave him at the position we drafted him for.
Originally posted by English:
Lets leave him at the position we drafted him for.

Agree

I think we lucked out converting Miller to a FB from a D guy.

Lert Buck get used to his real position and then excel at it.

If he can than we got what we paid for.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
move armstrong and buckners to the OL
We aren't featuring any kind of 4-man front, hybrid or otherwise, as our base D. Not happening
Why do you need 5 DB's for a hybrid front 4?
Wouldn't that be just a mixture of DE / NT / DT / OLB

Originally posted by dsmith_49erz:
Why do you need 5 DB's for a hybrid front 4?
Wouldn't that be just a mixture of DE / NT / DT / OLB
its the okie doke hybrid
Share 49ersWebzone