LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

MASSIVE cap space.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by BimmerKing:
Ive confirmed with my source lol people on the internet kill me

AB has forgotten more about the cap than you and I will ever know.

agree. if AB says so. it is so in this regards.. by the way i am amused by some posters who are questioning AB on this as i think they are just being obtuse. we are expected, for example, they have these "sources" who say bruce miller is unhappy and we are just supposed to believe them but on the other hand they simply dismiss AB because they do not like what he says. the knowledge of AB and the salary cap is well known here and should not be pooh poohed by those whose knowledge of the cap and finances can be fit into a thimble

If someone tells me that money disappears into nothing, I do not believe that to be so.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
lol this is good

Might help to know what the cap is before you claim to be a capologist or however you spell it.

the cap is the total shared take of the NFL from the league year divided by the 32 teams
(gross revenue for all teams from ticket sales, tv deals and merch)

in 2006 it was expanded to include team revenue like naming rights and local ad money.
So basically some teams have more in house money than others.
If you want to look at it that way.

But for the sake of the cap the total amount is divided by all teams.

Jed can technically pocket more from his naming rights from Levi's, it's said to be the 3rd largest deal in the NFL.

So yes a % of the leftover cap comes from the Owners.

lol
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
also I'm pretty sure teams need to spend like 95% of their cap or they pay a penalty.

The 49ers rolled over $12.2m from the 2015 cap.
The Lions rolled over $862k.

Think the avg roll over from playoff teams last year was $1-3m
Originally posted by SoCold:
also I'm pretty sure teams need to spend like 95% of their cap or they pay a penalty.

no penalties if you are under the cap, unless you spent less then 89% of your total combined cap for 3 consecutive years
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jun 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM ]

Here is a little bit about the floor and the 95% guarantee:

The key going forward is the floor more than the cap. The final eight years of the CBA are broken into four-year periods (2013-'16, 2017-'20) during which teams are required to spend up to 89 percent of the cap, with a guaranteed league-wide spend of 95 percent. If the individual clubs or league fail to hit those thresholds, the league/clubs pay the difference to the players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331237/article/salary-cap-rise-to-133-million-shows-how-new-cba-is-working
I don't know if this information is correct - it's from a guy who runs a Jacksonville Jaguars blog site:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/2/26/8113215/nfl-salary-cap-89-percent-spending-jaguars

What happens if you don't hit the 89 percent mark?

The penalty for not reaching the 89 percent spend requirement over the four year cumulative period really isn't that bad. A team will have to give the money they're short by to their own players (via NFLPA-determined distribution). This means there really isn't much of a penalty, other than your own players get somewhat of a bonus, for a lack of a better word. You do not incur fines, you do not lose draft picks. You just have to spend the required money in some manner.

The real bad thing would be the public perception that would follow, as it appears like you're not trying to win because you're not spending money, but we all know it's not that black and white with most teams. Teams need to spend money, but that doesn't mean they need to pay mid-level free agents like top-level free agents, because then you wreck the market.

This means that it doesn't really behoove a team to throw around massive deals and signing bonuses to get to the mark. It's still likely going to have teams handing out big signing bonuses rather than allowing the NFLPA to divvy up the unspent cash, but it's not really something fans should be stressing out over.

Basically, don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal.

Originally posted by susweel:
So you know more about the salary cap stuff than Matt maiocco who does this for a living ?

MM studies the NFL salary cap for a living?

MM reports on the 49ers. He has some relationships and media access, both of which allow him access to more breaking news items than a fan would encounter. He is not a former coach or player. He is not a lawyer or accountant. Any webzoner who played college football or coached at the high school level or above should be expected to know more about football than MM. Any coach/former coach who watches hours of college game tape should have a better sense of a draft prospect's talent than MM. Any accountant or lawyer who spent time studying the NFL salary cap should be expected to know more about the cap than MM. Anyone who played high school football may know more about football than MM. Anyone who has spent hours studying the cap may know more about the cap than him.

His area of expertise/training/experience is in reporting/writing, not football, and certainly not the salary cap.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The penalty is nothing. That's not the point. The point is that it's designed to spend as much as you can to make your team better.

The only advantage would be in hoping you can land a FA the following year with the aid of your roll over funds. Being our FO doesn't like to overpay for players there really is no advantage.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
So you know more about the salary cap stuff than Matt maiocco who does this for a living ?

MM reports on the 49ers. He has some relationships and media access, both of which allow him access to more breaking news items than a fan would encounter. He is not a former coach or player. He is not a lawyer or accountant. Any webzoner who played college football or coached at the high school level or above should be expected to know more about football than MM. Any coach/former coach who watches hours of college game tape should have a better sense of a draft prospect's talent than MM. Any accountant or lawyer who spent time studying the NFL salary cap should be expected to know more about the cap than MM. Anyone who played high school football may know more about football than MM. Anyone who has spent hours studying the cap may know more about the cap than him.

His area of expertise/training/experience is in reporting/writing, not football, and certainly not the salary cap.

Did he get anything wrong in his article?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

agree. if AB says so. it is so in this regards.. by the way i am amused by some posters who are questioning AB on this as i think they are just being obtuse. we are expected, for example, they have these "sources" who say bruce miller is unhappy and we are just supposed to believe them but on the other hand they simply dismiss AB because they do not like what he says. the knowledge of AB and the salary cap is well known here and should not be pooh poohed by those whose knowledge of the cap and finances can be fit into a thimble

If someone tells me that money disappears into nothing, I do not believe that to be so.

He never said the money disappears; he said the cap space disappears, and he reiterated on numerous occasions tat money and cap space aren't the same thing. I'm inclined to trust his study and expertise over my own, as I haven't studied the cap nearly as much as he has. To each their own, of course, but he never said that money magically disappeared.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

So you think he just writes stuff in his blog without properly researching his information for accuracy ? I have yet to see anyone post a link that says otherwise of what MM is saying. AB seems like a nice kid but I'll take MM's word over an amateurs anyday.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

He never said the money disappears; he said the cap space disappears, and he reiterated on numerous occasions tat money and cap space aren't the same thing. I'm inclined to trust his study and expertise over my own, as I haven't studied the cap nearly as much as he has. To each their own, of course, but he never said that money magically disappeared.

"Disappears" is the exact word he used over and over again.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The 49ers spent more than 89 percent of their salary cap allotment over the past four years to avoid penalties. Beginning in 2017, another four-year cycle begins in which teams are required to spend 89 percent or more of the combined salary cap during that period.

Teams are allowed to carry over cap space from one year to the next. The 49ers have until mid-February to decide how much of their salary-cap surplus from this year to carry over to 2017.

The 49ers need a few of their third- and fourth-year players to show they're worthy of second contracts to begin to make a dent in their cap surplus.

The 49ers have carried over their entire unused cap space each season since the new CBA was agreed upon in 2011. That streak might end next year if there are not enough home-grown players worthy of big-money extensions.

After all, the 49ers do not spend money just to spend money. But if they do not carry over that cap space, the organization would be just pocketing the money set aside for player compensation. And that's not a good look.

How the organization decides to proceed in regard to their unused cap space is worth watching.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/mailbag-49ers-cap-space-curse-stockpiling-corners/

Boom

Woooooooooooo !!!!!

this is what MM said. show me something that says otherwise.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
The players get a set % of the term the NFL uses as All Revenue.

All teams revenue added together and divided by 32 then the set % = the salary cap for that year.

Nothing disappears if it's not used it's rolled over.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The players get a set % of the term the NFL uses as All Revenue.

All teams revenue added together and divided by 32 then the set % = the salary cap for that year.

Nothing disappears if it's not used it's rolled over.

rolling over is optional, but if the 89% is already met they dont have to spend the remaining cap room.
Share 49ersWebzone