LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

We have the front 7 to be a top 5 run D this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Have followed the zone for close to a decade and for some reason only read. I just officially joined and hope I can share my opinion and Niner pride!
Cannot wait for 2016! Optimistic
We're slowly building a good roster again with some cornerstone pieces, that may or may not show this year, but I'm optimistic we're on the right track.
I think Bowman will be a lot closer to what he was before injury. Not sold on Brooks suddenly regaining the discipline he lost completely last year. Lynch is out of shape right now, I'm not sure his heart is in it. He has the ability to be very good and played the run well at times last year.

I think our DL is pretty solid, but will make youthful mistakes, get caught over pursuing etc. Should be good overall there, but there will be mistakes.

I think a middling run defense is more likely. We could be top 5 if our young guys play like vets to their talent level - possible, just look at Watt his rookie year. But more likely it will be flashes and mistakes. Health a big question mark at NT right now. If Ian Williams comes back and plays we're very strong there and that can be pretty huge.

If everything goes perfectly we could have a great run defense. But that's not likely. We'd need Brooks to regain previous form (possible, but unlikely IMO). Bowman will come back near the level he was, but it won't be enough. We also need one of our guys to step up beside him. Don't really see that happening, best we can hope is league average there IMO. Lynch needs to get in shape and play to his ability too.

We do have more than a few potential big time impact players up front though which could mask some weaknesses too.

Top 5 possible but not likely. Top 10 I think we're 50/50. Top 20 Almost certain. Bottom 20 - possible but highly unlikely. Would take some catastrophic s**t IMO.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
I think Bowman will be a lot closer to what he was before injury. Not sold on Brooks suddenly regaining the discipline he lost completely last year. Lynch is out of shape right now, I'm not sure his heart is in it. He has the ability to be very good and played the run well at times last year.

I think our DL is pretty solid, but will make youthful mistakes, get caught over pursuing etc. Should be good overall there, but there will be mistakes.

I think a middling run defense is more likely. We could be top 5 if our young guys play like vets to their talent level - possible, just look at Watt his rookie year. But more likely it will be flashes and mistakes. Health a big question mark at NT right now. If Ian Williams comes back and plays we're very strong there and that can be pretty huge.

If everything goes perfectly we could have a great run defense. But that's not likely. We'd need Brooks to regain previous form (possible, but unlikely IMO). Bowman will come back near the level he was, but it won't be enough. We also need one of our guys to step up beside him. Don't really see that happening, best we can hope is league average there IMO. Lynch needs to get in shape and play to his ability too.

We do have more than a few potential big time impact players up front though which could mask some weaknesses too.

Top 5 possible but not likely. Top 10 I think we're 50/50. Top 20 Almost certain. Bottom 20 - possible but highly unlikely. Would take some catastrophic s**t IMO.

That sounds about right to me. After last year, a fairly young group of 49er players making it to middling level play this year would be nice to see - and give hope for the future.
Originally posted by Araiza21:
Have followed the zone for close to a decade and for some reason only read. I just officially joined and hope I can share my opinion and Niner pride!

Welcome. Kind of a dead time in the forum for the next few to several weeks until Training Camp, but it should pick up really nicely after that. There will undoubtedly be a few endless "debates" between pro and anti Kap posters in the meantime to "enjoy", though.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Originally posted by Araiza21:

Welcome. Kind of a dead time in the forum for the next few to several weeks until Training Camp, but it should pick up really nicely after that. There will undoubtedly be a few endless "debates" between pro and anti Kap posters in the meantime to "enjoy", though.

Sprinkled in with the pro and anti Baalke and Harbaugh tirades.

Glad to have you aboard. Just grin and bear it for the few weeks. It will get better.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Ian Williams hurt again

And both DEs are unproven.

I was about to say we are hopeful armstead plays better this year and it would be unfair to expect buckner to be a top run defender as a rookie. Also, lynch isn't solid against the run and we have no idea who will play next to bowman. On top of all of this, bow wasn't exactly playing like his old self last year. There is a reason we got gashed last year against the run, adding buckner helps but doesn't solve the defense.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
Ian Williams hurt again

I was about to say we are hopeful armstead plays better this year and it would be unfair to expect buckner to be a top run defender as a rookie. Also, lynch isn't solid against the run and we have no idea who will play next to bowman. On top of all of this, bow wasn't exactly playing like his old self last year. There is a reason we got gashed last year against the run, adding buckner helps but doesn't solve the defense.

Second year players usually improve (AA), Bowman played well for just coming back and has had an entire offseason. The reports are he is much improved in his confidence the injury is completely healed this year. Buckner is a rookie, but a damn good one, so his play may be both uneven and awesome at times. Still an improvement I think, and getting better every fame as we go on. The other comments are accurate I think. We will see.
Originally posted by mojave45:
Ian Williams hurt again

Second year players usually improve (AA), Bowman played well for just coming back and has had an entire offseason. The reports are he is much improved in his confidence the injury is completely healed this year. Buckner is a rookie, but a damn good one, so his play may be both uneven and awesome at times. Still an improvement I think, and getting better every fame as we go on. The other comments are accurate I think. We will see.

The talking heads always say it takes a year to come back from bow's injury. I hope he's close to his old self again. That would be awesome.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Jun 19, 2016 at 12:18 PM ]
I can't even project that. I will just say that our run D should be better, with running backs gashing us for huge yardage less frequently. That alone would do wonders for our defense.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I can't even project that. I will just say that our run D should be better, with running backs gashing us for huge yardage less frequently. That alone would do wonders for our defense.

I'm onboard with this. Less gashings would be nice.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'm onboard with this. Less gashings would be nice.

Less gashing = better = progress. Progress is was t I am looking for this year. We can't fix everything immediately. If we can show progress against the run and against the pass, even modest progress, I will be much happier. Once a team starts leaning forward instead of falling backwards then fixing the team gets easier. A little better here and there on defense and the same on offense and suddenly I am not a fan of a team that looks like dumpster fire. If Defo plays acceptably, Arik improves and Bowman plays better than last year, that alone is a better D.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Will be lucky to be a top 15 defense.

If this young group can play on the road similar to how they played at home and nicer around 10-15th in points, that would be a sure sign the youth is maturing.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Will be lucky to be a top 15 defense.

A top 15 defense... Would be a dramatic improvement, and a sign we are turning this thing around.
  • MEAN
Armestead with a year under his belt is gonna be great, the dude showed some raw power last season.
Share 49ersWebzone