There are 206 users in the forums

We have the front 7 to be a top 5 run D this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not at all lol. Chip kelly will have them on the field ALOT. We hired a bum DC who specializes in Pass D, his run defenses have been atrocious.

And so many of these guys are unproven. Lets hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Originally posted by SoCold:
Hopefully he plays well. I do not trust our Cleveland DC. Not yet.

Nor should you!

He has to prove it here with our personnel.
I think it's too young to be considered a top defense. It seems to have the makings of one though. A lot of unproven edge rushers.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
When is the last time Dorsey played?

I remember him taking snaps in LSU. Haven't seen him since

He was having a career year with us when he was a NT....I'd rather keep him there than DE to be honest.

i don't think he's played in like 2 years

Right pretty much last time he was healthy lol 2013 he was playing real well.

Which also happens to be the last time he played in between RayMac and Justin. The same two guys that made Issac Sopoaga, and a rookie Dial look really good at NT. I like Dorsey, he's just best served as a rotational player on a good team.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
When is the last time Dorsey played?

I remember him taking snaps in LSU. Haven't seen him since

He was having a career year with us when he was a NT....I'd rather keep him there than DE to be honest.

i don't think he's played in like 2 years

Right pretty much last time he was healthy lol 2013 he was playing real well.

Which also happens to be the last time he played in between RayMac and Justin. The same two guys that made Issac Sopoaga, and a rookie Dial look really good at NT. I like Dorsey, he's just best served as a rotational player on a good team.

This is true
This thread

That run d was historically good. We won't be anywhere near that. Gonna be just like last year. Soft overall with a ton of inconsistency. Great one week, give up 200 the next.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
No way. Nope.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
In most cases with this team, I don't believe the projection is possible simply because the talent is not there. In a vacuum I could forsee a scenario in which we had a top 5 run D, considering we finished tied for 10th last season in defensive ypc, and we've invested a lot in the defensive front 7. However, this season we have 11 games against top 10 rushing offenses from last season. There are 3 great young backs in the division, and are facing what I would argue are the 3 best rushing teams that exist in Buffalo, Carolina, and Dallas.

It's just not going to happen with the schedule. I see run D as the strength of this team, but the caliber of competition this year in that dept is just too good.
[ Edited by McClusky on Jun 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

You should use new gifs, this one is getting pretty boring.

My biggest concern is JoN ... Not sure yet if it was personnel or scheme that was bad in Cleveland, and if it was talent, if it was just so poor he couldn't scheme to adjust to what he had, or if he just didn't.

But even so, I am more than happy to have him over Mangini anyway. That was so awful I had to wash my eyes with battery acid after the Cleveland game.
Originally posted by mojave45:
My biggest concern is JoN ... Not sure yet if it was personnel or scheme that was bad in Cleveland, and if it was talent, if it was just so poor he couldn't scheme to adjust to what he had, or if he just didn't.

But even so, I am more than happy to have him over Mangini anyway. That was so awful I had to wash my eyes with battery acid after the Cleveland game.

So with you. The problem with Mangini's scheme is that he needs a certain set of skills on defense to realize his "genius", otherwise you have what we had last season, and why Mangini was out of football for a while before he came our way. He has a glaring inability to mold his scheme around the talent given to him. I have no idea what Jim O'Neil will do, other than running more of a man-based defense, and that's still speculation based off camp reports. Now, being a football guy, I suspect that's because he may feel that the front 7 will be able to anchor the D, that our pass-rushers will be able to get to the QB consistently while being able to stop the run. After all, you don't run a lot of man unless you have some reasonable confidence in your front 7. Otherwise you'er a zone-heavy team. But I'm speculating, it's all we have at this point.

But like you, I'm very happy Mangini isn't running our D anymore.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by mojave45:

So with you. The problem with Mangini's scheme is that he needs a certain set of skills on defense to realize his "genius", otherwise you have what we had last season, and why Mangini was out of football for a while before he came our way. He has a glaring inability to mold his scheme around the talent given to him. I have no idea what Jim O'Neil will do, other than running more of a man-based defense, and that's still speculation based off camp reports. Now, being a football guy, I suspect that's because he may feel that the front 7 will be able to anchor the D, that our pass-rushers will be able to get to the QB consistently while being able to stop the run. After all, you don't run a lot of man unless you have some reasonable confidence in your front 7. Otherwise you'er a zone-heavy team. But I'm speculating, it's all we have at this point.

But like you, I'm very happy Mangini isn't running our D anymore.

I couldn't be happier. That battery acid hurt.
Lol. Our front 7 was awful last year and all of a sudden we add Hodges and it's we're top 5 against the run again?

At best, our defensive line is a wash because Buckner isn't going to be Justin Smith as a rookie. Our linebackers aren't even close to our linebackers back when we had Aldon, Willis, Bowman, and Brooks in his prime. We're weaker at every single linebacker position and the Willis-Hodge drop-off is massive. Bowman wasn't the same player last year that he was back then.

I just hope Buckner and Armstead look pretty good so we have a few pieces to build around on defense. We have very little to build around on offense, but luckily, we'll be in a good position in the draft in 2017 and have a ton of cap space to fix our problems there.
It looks like it could be good. Though I think you underestimate the downgrade from Willis and Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone