There are 180 users in the forums

Julio Jones over Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
I think we can all agree on one thing... HOW DID BAALKE NOT DRAFT JJ WATT??????? AHHHHHH!

MadDog got dogged for this and that puppy was right

Woof
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I think we can all agree on one thing... HOW DID BAALKE NOT DRAFT JJ WATT??????? AHHHHHH!

MadDog got dogged for this and that puppy was right

Woof

Well at the time DE wasn't the bigger need I think we can all agree that the pass rush was. And I don't doubt that if Julio Jones, Aldon Smith and Von Miller were there at 7, Miller would've been the pick without hesitation.

Shoot I was screaming at the TV hoping the 49ers would draft Wilfork when he kept dropping, if anything that hurt more than passing up JJ Watt. At least the 49ers got a good pick in Aldon Smith, who did they get when they passed up Wilfork. smfh
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda.

Exactly. Anyone saying they would have drafted Watt is straight up lying. We had Smith and Raymac entrenched as starters at DE. We didn't have a pass rusher at ROLB and was a pretty obvious need at the time.
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Texans GM Rick Smith is on the record for noting he had a deal in place to move up by trading with us for PP had he dropped past AZ. So Watt was not the top choice in Houston.
Originally posted by Niners99:
People continue to act like the careers of WR's like ODB and Julio Jones would've been the same in SF. We can't develop or utilize a WR to save our lives.

We have drafted 2 good WR's since Terrell Owens in 1996. Two. In 20 years.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve busted here, and so would Julio Jones. No use in playing the "woulda coulda shoulda" game.

I don't believe any of this. I'm sorry.
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda.
yup.
Originally posted by Niners99:
People continue to act like the careers of WR's like ODB and Julio Jones would've been the same in SF. We can't develop or utilize a WR to save our lives.

We have drafted 2 good WR's since Terrell Owens in 1996. Two. In 20 years.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve busted here, and so would Julio Jones. No use in playing the "woulda coulda shoulda" game.

Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin were both able to be successful here under Harbaugh, neither of whom are anywhere near as good as Julio Jones. Crabtree is not and never was as good as Julio - not even close - and Boldin was already old and slow by the time he got here, yet both were able to put up 1,000+ yard seasons. In the case of Crabtree, he was putting up top 5 receiver numbers as soon as Kaepernick took over for Alex, that is no exaggeration. You cannot sit there and say there's no way Julio Jones would be successful here when two inferior receivers were.

And the whole "Rodgers would have busted here" nonsense is just that. He has the intangibles and qualities to be successful anywhere. People forget he ran for his life the first 2 seasons he started and he still performed very well. His receivers are largely a product of him. There is no way you or anyone else can say with any merit that Aaron Rodgers would definitely be a bust here. Just because Alex failed doesn't mean the same excuses people use for him would have hindered Rodgers the same way. He is the best QB in the NFL and you don't get to that level without having what it takes, no matter how ideal your situation may be.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by fropwns:
How many Super Bowls has he gotten to?

Crabs is 6'-1" Julio is 6'-3" would have won the SB.

bummer

IF we even get to the SB. Lest we not forget Aldon had 19.5 sacks, 3 FF's and an INT in 2012.

He did nothing in the playoffs (due to injury) and we still advanced to the Super Bowl. The stats are nice, but they don't mean we wouldn't have been successful with somebody else.

It's hard to hate on the Aldon pick. The talent was obviously there. You will never hear me complain about drafting a guy with 33.5 sacks in 2 years. Had he kept on an even level this wouldn't be an issue at all. We may be talking about Aldons 5 year $100 million extension.

Hindsight.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by fropwns:
How many Super Bowls has he gotten to?

Crabs is 6'-1" Julio is 6'-3" would have won the SB.

bummer

IF we even get to the SB. Lest we not forget Aldon had 19.5 sacks, 3 FF's and an INT in 2012.

He did nothing in the playoffs (due to injury) and we still advanced to the Super Bowl. The stats are nice, but they don't mean we wouldn't have been successful with somebody else.

Disagree.

19.5 sacks means opposing offenses have to gameplan to try and slow you in the playoffs.

Fact is we did make the SB with Aldon, making it without him and someone like Jones is all opinion.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Jun 12, 2016 at 8:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone