LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Julio Jones over Aldon Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
Originally posted by Since07:
He would have been the deep threat we needed during that run. Remember vsing the Giants in the NFCC? We had no WRs all hurt I think Kyle Williams was starting.. At least we knocked the Falcons out in the NFCC the next year

I doubt the run would have happened at all if we didn't have Aldon.

Dan Skuta
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Full of shtiBaugh
yup
We were better off with Aldon because defense and a balanced attack wins games not a bunch of passes. People act like we didn't have 12+ wins a year for 3 of 4 years with Harbaugh.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Jun 9, 2016 at 10:46 AM ]
And Julio's career wouldn't have been what it currently is lol
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And Julio's career wouldn't have been what it currently is lol

Exactly.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
How many Super Bowls has he gotten to?
Originally posted by Niners99:
People continue to act like the careers of WR's like ODB and Julio Jones would've been the same in SF. We can't develop or utilize a WR to save our lives.

We have drafted 2 good WR's since Terrell Owens in 1996. Two. In 20 years.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve busted here, and so would Julio Jones. No use in playing the "woulda coulda shoulda" game.

Disagree on two counts.

One, I think this team would absolutely be better off if it had talent like Rodgers, OBJ or Julio. Sure, they ended up in ideal scenarios, but they would still have been good players without that. Drafting good players is the number one part of turning a team around.

Two, the 'shoulda coulda woulda' argument is just an excuse for not learning from past mistakes. I think Baalke makes the same argument you did. And as a consequence he repeats his mistakes and we continue to have similarly $h!t drafts.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Good thing for Julio the niners didnt draft him he'd have either gotten arrested multiple times or retired by now.
Full of shtiBaugh
This ... because we're doing just fine without him
Originally posted by Since07:
He would have been the deep threat we needed during that run. Remember vsing the Giants in the NFCC? We had no WRs all hurt I think Kyle Williams was starting.. At least we knocked the Falcons out in the NFCC the next year

Here is your problem though, we might not have gotten to the playoffs or the title game. Why? Because who would have provided the pressure? Plus the scheme and the fact we had an average at best QB would not compensate for the D regressing w/o Aldon. You cannot look at just one or two games. You have to look at the whole season.

If we anything, trading back and getting JJ Watts, and using the extra pick coupled with another pick to pick up a rush OLB later would have been better for the overall trajectory of things. Cowboy with JJ instead of McD.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by Niners99:
People continue to act like the careers of WR's like ODB and Julio Jones would've been the same in SF. We can't develop or utilize a WR to save our lives.

We have drafted 2 good WR's since Terrell Owens in 1996. Two. In 20 years.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve busted here, and so would Julio Jones. No use in playing the "woulda coulda shoulda" game.

Disagree on two counts.

One, I think this team would absolutely be better off if it had talent like Rodgers, OBJ or Julio. Sure, they ended up in ideal scenarios, but they would still have been good players without that. Drafting good players is the number one part of turning a team around.

Two, the 'shoulda coulda woulda' argument is just an excuse for not learning from past mistakes. I think Baalke makes the same argument you did. And as a consequence he repeats his mistakes and we continue to have similarly $h!t drafts.

No they wouldn't Rodgers sat behind a hall of famer, case in point Plunkett did pretty good, but in the end shell shocked and it took several teams later before he realized his potential. If mishandled, guys fail. Drafting players that fit your scheme is important, they can be good, but if they don't fit its a loser deal. Rodgers was not Baalkes, in fact he may have taken Rodgers over Alex. Baalke needs to make better drafts, but he is not as bad or good as people say, middle of the road, still you still need good coaches. The Singletary to JH transition is a good example. Plus our WR coach was bad, period. What did he do? He even jumped on the table for USC's RJ who didn't even make the team.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Full of shtiBaugh
This ... because we're doing just fine without him

I dont see any reason to not believe him.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by fropwns:

Crabs is 6'-1" Julio is 6'-3" would have won the SB.

bummer
Originally posted by SoCold:

bummer

I could believe that
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:

bummer

IF we even get to the SB. Lest we not forget Aldon had 19.5 sacks, 3 FF's and an INT in 2012.
Share 49ersWebzone