LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 384 users in the forums

Barton or Staley

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Now that we've all shared how we feel about Will & Bow becoming HOF.. Do you guys ever see Harris Barton and/or Staley becoming a HOF linemen??

When all said and done, who do you all think is actually better between the two OTs??
Wow... Hadn't thought about Barton in a while.
  • thl408
Barton because he never screamed like a girl when someone rolled his ankle.

Naw but seriously whatever PFF ratings say.
Barton was a RT and Joe Staley is a LT and significantly more athletic (probably better technically too). Staley should pass him in both games played and games started this year. He's also made it to 5 pro bowls compared to 1 at the stronger position (Barton was an all-pro twice though). There's no comparison.

Steve Wallace who played LT at the time is a more equal comparison but I'd still take Staley. Barton has no shot at the hall of fame in my opinion.
Has it already been 5 years since Barton retired
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Bubba Parris
[ Edited by susweel on Jun 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM ]
  • Homer
  • Veteran
I don't think Joe will get in just because of the lack of all pro's. He deserves it, it's just really hard for OL to get recognized the same way skill position players too. People need stats.

It would be awesome if him, Willis, and Frank all get in. 3 HOFers in 3 drafts for Nolan .
I remember when people here called Staley a POS and overrated
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
HARRIS BARTON - we need to consider him an OL who played both sides of OT... he was drafted in 1987 when Montana was still the QB.. he played RT for us when Montana was there, but remember...

... remember that Steve Young took over the team and that made Barton the BLIND SIDE PROTECTOR.. so in my PERSONAL OPINION, he should be considered one of those OL who played both LT and RT..

.. there were even times that he played both Center and OG..
Originally posted by 9moon:
HARRIS BARTON - we need to consider him an OL who played both sides of OT... he was drafted in 1987 when Montana was still the QB.. he played RT for us when Montana was there, but remember...

... remember that Steve Young took over the team and that made Barton the BLIND SIDE PROTECTOR.. so in my PERSONAL OPINION, he should be considered one of those OL who played both LT and RT..

.. there were even times that he played both Center and OG..

I remember Barton playing LT for a long time, then switched back to RT to protect Young's blind side.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:54 PM ]

Originally posted by thl408:
Barton because he never screamed like a girl when someone rolled his ankle.

Naw but seriously whatever PFF ratings say.

I want you to tell Joe that. Lol
Barton because he protected the GOAT
Staley who did he help protect.. Alex? Kap? oh and this....
[ Edited by 16to87 on Jun 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM ]
I think Staley is the better player of the two, but Barton was one of the pieces that brought a super bowl team together. Tough call.
[ Edited by iLLEST209ER on Jun 3, 2016 at 7:48 PM ]
Barton made more All-pros then pro bowls?
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
nobody remembers harris barton but niner fans. barton played in a era of the beginning of the big boys(cowboys redskins) and thats why nobody remembers him. a good solid player, nothing more
Share 49ersWebzone