LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

How do you feel when some say that the 1994 49ers bought the superbowl....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And now we have a billion dollars worth of cap savings.
There right but I don't care
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
I feel those that want to whine about 49er excellence can get down on their knees and help out some Niner fans.

They were a perfect mix of grown talent with free agents added to put them over the top. It was a perfect job.

They "bought" Deion for about $1 million for the season if I remember correctly which was a massive discount so he could get a ring. Dallas had to back up the Brinks truck the next year.

Norton was a huge part of the D for years after so he was a great value free agent pick, Plummer was too.

While I can understand the argument that it was "bought", that is what you're supposed to do in a business. They took a big gamble and it paid off, I'm fine with it.
Just wish they had left some room for Watters.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
You're god damn right!

Should have shown Ricky Watters the money and bought another one.

Stupid.
We bought all our Super bowls, why do you think there is a salary cap? We had starters 3 deep at most positions, and Eddy just cut the checks!
How much is the next one?
Originally posted by mojave45:
... We were just the first one that successfully put a team together that was successful under the rules at the time. Eddie D spread money like water to pamper the players for sure, but he wasn't any wealthier than the others, just smarter. And with a better coach.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Money well spent

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Baalke should take notes?
Jed could be added to thee above statement as well ...

Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
See, that right there is the difference. Uncle Eddie buys a SuperBowl. Nephew Jeddie won't even buy his wife dinner.

Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
It's a business. You must invest to have the right tools to win. Nothing to be ashamed of.
It does not matter what you pay. You still have to make those players work as a team.

There are plenty of examples of NFL teams buying great talent and then failing.
Very short sighted snipes typical of commentators with "glass half empty" thinking.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We bought all our Super bowls, why do you think there is a salary cap? We had starters 3 deep at most positions, and Eddy just cut the checks!

... And Jerry Jones, saw that 'The Formula' worked, and that it was good. Therefore, he copied said formula which lead to
The Boys winning the Super Bowl as well !!! Don't hear those that berate The Niners, saying much about the same situation ...
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:38 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fortunately, you won't have to hear that anymore since we wont be winning any SBs and Jed won't be spending any money on free agents.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
fortunately, you won't have to hear that anymore since we wont be winning any SBs and Jed won't be spending any money on free agents.

pretty sure Brent Jones got a free house and car for resigning a lesser deal with the 49ers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCold:
You're god damn right!

Should have shown Ricky Watters the money and bought another one.

Stupid.

they did buy a super bowl. they had to buy young a defense due to the fact ours was getting old and slow and we did not draft well in that area. and so cold is right about watters. it was a disgrace that young was our best running back until terry kirby arrived
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

we never bought the first four. we drafted well. we had great people in place. we made trades and made clever use of free agency. due to the lack of drafting good defensive people we had to break the bank for people like norton deon. dent whose leg norton busted. and then at the end of the day we had to convince timmy harris to come out of retirement. i am not being critical of the team but that super bowl team was my least favorite of the super bowl teams cuz i believe it was bought and paid for which is fine. remember back then we had the mindset to do what it took to win a super bowl and we will deal with salary cap hell later. which we did. the nature of the game has changed and while you still try to build a winning team, you do not put your financial house in jepordy
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
eddie would not have spent the type of money on the type of free agents who were "free' this past year in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i love eddie but he was also blood thristy if the team did not win. ask bill walsh., ask ronnie lott. i had no issue with the cutting of craig cuz he had clearly lost it over night
Share 49ersWebzone