There are 110 users in the forums

Seattle GM gets caught lying about Frank Clark and Domestic Violence

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by maltz88:
The title to this thread is a little. Misleading.

I of course realize you're spinning it how you like as a 49er fan, but JS hasn't been caught in a lie that I've read.

He actually stated immediatly after day 2 of the draft, when Clark was selected, that they did NOT talk to her.

I have to say, I actually commend them for not talking to her or her family. Who the hell is a football team to stick their nose into someone's personal life? I would imagine if she was beaten she wouldn't want any part of dredging this stuff up. A football team certainly doesn't have any jurisdiction or authority to talk to her, and I would hope any team would respect their privacy.

That being said, while they haven't been caught lying, they have somehow convinced themselves that he didn't beat her and are sticking to it. Seems to me like they've intentionally set themselves up with plausible deniability.

Either that or Clark wove one hell of a tale that they bought hook line and sinker, or more likely that they wanted to believe.

With his history he seems like he's a pile off the field but I'm not damning Seattle more than I would any other team. If they hadn't selected him, someone would have.

All football teams have their noses up these athletes butts. They hire their own investigators just for that reason. They pay you millions but they will vet you before they do. That's just the way it is. I don't know exactly what he lied about or if he did but this is Pete's MO. He recruits or drafts these knuckleheads so long as they are athletic and explosive he finds a way to get them to produce. He wins doing just that. He does whatever it takes. He always has from California to Washington. I never liked him but I respect that he is a winner.

I of course realize you're spinning it how you like as a 49er fan, but JS hasn't been caught in a lie that I've read.

He actually stated immediatly after day 2 of the draft, when Clark was selected, that they did NOT talk to her.

I have to say, I actually commend them for not talking to her or her family. Who the hell is a football team to stick their nose into someone's personal life? I would imagine if she was beaten she wouldn't want any part of dredging this stuff up. A football team certainly doesn't have any jurisdiction or authority to talk to her, and I would hope any team would respect their privacy.

That being said, while they haven't been caught lying, they have somehow convinced themselves that he didn't beat her and are sticking to it. Seems to me like they've intentionally set themselves up with plausible deniability.

Either that or Clark wove one hell of a tale that they bought hook line and sinker, or more likely that they wanted to believe.

With his history he seems like he's a pile off the field but I'm not damning Seattle more than I would any other team. If they hadn't selected him, someone would have.

He stated that they conducted a thorough investigation, but they did not interview the victim, her brothers, the two eyewitnesses who called 911, hotel security, or the responding officer. That is a lie.

He has stated numerous times that there is no place on their roster for a man who strikes a woman, and EVERYone in this case knows he hit her. Clark, the DA, Hurt, etc. No one will directly say he didn't do it. That means he hit her. They hospital report on her injuries indicated they could have only been caused by a man twice her size, and he was the only one of those ON THAT FLOOR OF THE HOTEL. Drink your Kool Aid, super fan, but if you dig into this AT ALL, you'll know he did it, and that they can't help but know he did it by now. Even if they intentionally conducted a piss poor investigation to avoid finding out tht he hit her, they HAVE TO know by now, thanks to the Seattle Times, that he definitely hit her. A lot. Next move is on your team's leadership. Hint: I bet they don't cut him.
Win with class

Sorry but this one just does not work. I would damn any team including the 49ers for picking him up, and as it was Seattle I am damning them. To say if they hadn't selected them someone else would is an appalling way of avoiding responsibility. The other teams hadn't taken him prior to Seattle snatching him, and had Seattle not done it, it is possible that he would have been rejected by the entire NFL as he deserves. We aren't going to find out because, it would appear, Seattle carefully avoided asking questions of people which would adversely affect their desire to draft him.

May I remind you, this piece of filth beat his girlfriend into a state of virtual unconsciousness in front of her two young brothers. And now he will put on a Seahawks jersey. Does that make you proud? Michigan threw him off the team.

Wow...
By the way, this one stays strictly on subject.
Originally posted by daragon:

Wow...

Yeah, the rationalizing here is pretty hard to believe. I know several Seahawk fans who hated Carroll's guts when he coached the Trojans, and they were happy to refer to him as Pete the Cheat. When he was named the Seahawks coach, they were disappointed. Once he won the SB, they had excuses in place for his transgressions in USC and the times he got penalized for illegal OTAs in Seattle. They are predictably silent on this issue, too. They trumpet the plausible deniability line, with no regard to any additional reports. It's disappointing when people you want to respect will sell their principles over a sports team.
The only really surprising part of this to me is their initial proclamation about having no room for anybody on the roster who lays their hands on a woman, when their much celebrated offensive line coach is an admitted abuser of women himself.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The only really surprising part of this to me is their initial proclamation about having no room for anybody on the roster who lays their hands on a woman, when their much celebrated offensive line coach is an admitted abuser of women himself.

Well, technically, he's not on the roster, soooooo...

#homerblinders
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
man, what dummies. Almost as dumb as drafting a 3rd round talent with the 17th pick in the 1st round.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
man, what dummies. Almost as dumb as drafting a 3rd round talent with the 17th pick in the 1st round.

Oh, Chaz...

At least you ventured into a thread without "Ass" in the title. I'll tip my hat to you for that.
Fits their THUG mentality. THEY ARE ALL SMUG SOB's!
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
He stated that they conducted a thorough investigation, but they did not interview the victim, her brothers, the two eyewitnesses who called 911, hotel security, or the responding officer. That is a lie.

He has stated numerous times that there is no place on their roster for a man who strikes a woman, and EVERYone in this case knows he hit her. Clark, the DA, Hurt, etc. No one will directly say he didn't do it. That means he hit her. They hospital report on her injuries indicated they could have only been caused by a man twice her size, and he was the only one of those ON THAT FLOOR OF THE HOTEL. Drink your Kool Aid, super fan, but if you dig into this AT ALL, you'll know he did it, and that they can't help but know he did it by now. Even if they intentionally conducted a piss poor investigation to avoid finding out tht he hit her, they HAVE TO know by now, thanks to the Seattle Times, that he definitely hit her. A lot. Next move is on your team's leadership. Hint: I bet they don't cut him.
Damn wrath you f**king killed it on this post.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
All football teams have their noses up these athletes butts. They hire their own investigators just for that reason. They pay you millions but they will vet you before they do. That's just the way it is. I don't know exactly what he lied about or if he did but this is Pete's MO. He recruits or drafts these knuckleheads so long as they are athletic and explosive he finds a way to get them to produce. He wins doing just that. He does whatever it takes. He always has from California to Washington. I never liked him but I respect that he is a winner.

This.

I think every GM and coach in the league are car salesmen and spin doctors. PC and JS are certainly no different, and are probably more so than a lot of them.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Maybe you have a different definition of a lie? Unless you're trying to argue the definition of thorough?

I believe the police, and the DA, who are actually qualified to interview victims did interview the witnesses and victim, which the team was able to review. Would it make sense to re-interview witnesses and victims if they've already been asked the questions you were set to ask?

I'm not trying to defend the pick. Just simply saying I haven't read anything that could be called a lie from what the team had said.

The whole pick is a head scratcher to me.

First, as Lisa said, it seems the team is really sticking their neck out on this one. Almost unnecessarily. Not sure why they'd do this to take a player that doesn't fill a need, and seems like an ok talent. But does not seem like a good dude. He was not convicted of domestic violence, but reading between the lines, it sure seems like something off kilter happened. Even if you want to put blinders on and say, he wasn't convicted, and the DA and police aren't willing to say he did hit her. He at the very least is a thief. Not the personality I'd be excited to bring into my locker room.

Second, the thing that seems really odd to me with this pick, is I had literally never heard of Frank Clark until they turned their pick in. Granted I hadn't followed this draft class as closely this year as I do most years. But his name was not out there as taboo that I had seen. In going back through draft publications, he was listed as anywhere from 2nd round to 5th, all said he's had "off field issues," but none that I saw listed him as undraftable. Seems odd to me that everyone was projecting him to be drafted, but once he was drafted, Seattle is getting vilified for it.

Again, I don't like the pick at all. Everything about it is just......weird. Judging by the reaction from the media, and fan base, there should have been something said about this guy before the draft that made him untouchable. Why is it such a big deal after the draft? Nothing changed. Maybe it's because they took him in the 2nd round?
Share 49ersWebzone