• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Which WR scrub will shine brightest

Arena dude gonna command it
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, before throwing in the towel, i would really like to see ALL these guys play. As mentioned above, this is a team without established stars, or all pros. That said, we are close to the youngest team, wiht an awful lot of talent, and those who don't acknowledge that are going to terribly disappointed , when the team plays well. Basically this is a young team and they tradiitionally make mistakes....and we undoubtedly will see some. But what I am most interested in is seeing exactly what DO we have siting on the bench...at WR...in DBackfield....are our RBs as good as they appeared last yr, esp DuJuan and Draughn, rescued from Walmart and a used car lot....how do our 3 front 7 perform together? A casual glance makes one think of the 3 Trees...but will they be as tough and aggressive as some of us think? Will Purcell break out this yr? Last yr in limited play the guy had some eye opening flashes....is that just a tease, or is he the real deal.

Can our DBs cover playing man? Are the 3 draftees really a thief and malcontent, a guy who hasn't played in so long , he has forgotten how to cover? A guy who is so short but strong and fast, yet he won't be big enough to cover a JImmy Graham...or Gronk? What kind of O does Chip call? We all know it's going to be fast, and how does that really work? Smoke signals? Hand signs? How about flash cards? And when wil the play be called ....while the mic is stil turned on and will Gab/kap be able to still be listening to Chip, or will the mics be turned off? With no OC, unless Kilgore is healthy and back to caliber of play from two yrs ago, will he be able to call the blocking assignments and sets? Will somehow the much heralded Martin actually show that he is useful...or just a bust?

Will the D , not to mention the O, get gassed...and if so, when? 3rd Qtr, or midway thru the 4th, or will their Chip practices prove that you can run at a fast pace all game?

Will Chip's vaunted running game really work with the RBs we currently have? Will the Zone blocking of Chip look anything iIke the zone blocking we have used in the past? Will our 3 TEs be used exclusively for blocking, or will they be part of the passing game too? Do we actually have a #1 WR or even a #2 for that matter.? Will we have a surfeit of talent at WR and end up with TWO #1s and TWO #2s? Does the CFL really produce a NFL high caliber WR catching machine?

Does Hodges have a breakout yr? Or is his best already past? Do our LBs truly benefit from the expected high quality of front 3 line play? Can we bring pressure? And if so, can our 8 or 9 DBs cover man? Were our existing 6 DBs actually hot shot talented , or are they just middle of the roaders? Will the incr DL pressure actually make QBs have to throw before they want to? Will O'Neil just be another mangini or will he be the O'niel that can devise a cover scheme with no shut down corner?

Will we sign an experienced OC off the cut down lists, or are we converting Garnett, or Beadles or Tiller to OC? Is our last DB drafted, too short for some but capable of 25 reps with 225 lbs, really a 4.38 guy? Will Chip get embroiled in another player controversy...or will giving up the GM hat take care of that? I.e., how will he relate to players? Can Chip resurrect Kap's career...or will he bring Gab along as the new remodeled top 10 QB? Will we be in top 10 in O, or will we break 14 pts/game...or 21?

Ah, I agree with you guys. There just isn't much to be interested in this yr....that is,...unless you are a real 49er fan....thru thick and thin, good times and bad.

And finally, is this REALLY a 5.5 , or now a 5.0 Ws team? Could we possibly be as bad as last yr as some have suggested, bereft of talent and going nowhere, with a dog for a HC and a bum for a GM? Or are these guys like some of us feel, the real deals? Is the glass half empty...or half full? Perhaps both? What is the effect of drafting the best DL/DE and also the best OG? Does that make that big a difference?
Fans have a massive amount to see re: how it all plays out this yr, which should, IMO, make this the most interesting yr of the 49ers since the advent of BW.

Position battles? Yeah, we got 'em...pick any position on the field...we got 'em everywhere.
Dude, excellent post. lots to look forward to seeing next season.
My thoughts on the position battles:
Wrs we have a lot of young wrs with upside are are going to have some tough cuts to get down to 53.
T. Smith, D.Smelter
B. Ellington, D. White
Q. Patton, A. Burbridge
Tough to cut Simpson as well as he's playing but age, upside and salary makes the decision. I chose Treggs and burbrige because I didn't think either of them would make it to the practice squad. Cajuste practice squad

CBs
Ward, Robinson
Brock, Reaser
NB Davis, Redmond, D. Johnson
Acker has some value because he started 13 games and is young I expect him to be one of our trades for a conditional 7th rounder or for a OLB that can compete with Lemonier. Davis and Cromartie then become options for practice squad.

S
With Ward, Reaser and Johnson getting time at safety we go with 3 safety's since we are keeping 7 cbs.
Reid, Bethea, Tartt

Oline
Staley, T. Brown
Beadles, Garnett
Kilgore, Beadels
Davis, Tiller
T.Brown, Davis
Haven't heard of anything good about Kelly, Theus, Cooper, M. Martin, B. Thomas or Tillerman, Garnett and Davis will eventually move up to start.

ILB
Bowman, Bellore
Hodges, Armstong

Neither ILB have stood out but Whilhoite has started for 2 seasons and probadly has the most trade value. We deal him for a pick.

OLB
Harold, Carradine, Lynch
Brooks, Rush

DLine
Buckner, Dorsey
Dial, Purcell, G. Smith
Armstead, Blair will be first guy off the bench. Jerod Eddie cut or traded. Haven't heard anything about the other young Dlinemen

Rb

Hyde, Draughn, Taylor M. Davis think we will be looking for a RB after the roster cut downs.

QB
Driskell has easily beat out Lewis and has forced his way onto the 53. He's played well enough that the loser between Gabbertt and Kapernick won't be on the roster next season.

TE
McDonald, Celek, Miller, Bell
Anderson and cajuste practice squad options.
[ Edited by SFBuckeye on Aug 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM ]
My thoughts after the 1st preseason game! D. White should make the team over Burbridge or Treggs he seems like the first receiver off the bench.
CB Chris Davis wins starting NB. We carry 7cbs and one less safety. I don't see Reaser getting cut as well as he's playing. Most likely I see Baalke trying to trade one of our young CBs instead of cutting them.
RB Mike Davis looked great last week he should be a lock to make the roster over Harris.
ILB Bellore looked like a stud against the run! He's going to force us to keep 5 ILBs if we can't find a trade partner for Whilhoite.
Oline with Davis playing guard it gives us some flexibility! Garnett becomes the backup at LG with Tiller backing up Davis at RG. Brown backs up Staley at LT with Davis backing up RT. Martin backs up center. I still figure one of our rookies will make the team and one goes to the practice squad!
Fair assessment agree with most of it. I still think we need to make a move for some sort of WR like Justin Hunter.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Fair assessment agree with most of it. I still think we need to make a move for some sort of WR like Justin Hunter.

Agreed. Go trade a pick or player for the guy you want before there are released
Originally posted by tohara3:

Agreed. Go trade a pick or player for the guy you want before there are released

We got a log jam at OG and CB throw them one of those guys
You guys cray cray if you think tiller is benched before beadles. I liked AD as a RT but I haven't seen him play RG yet and Tiller is mauling people.
AD is perfect trade bait. If he doesn't beat brown, other teams will be interested in a former all pro tackle.
[ Edited by PacTiger on Aug 20, 2016 at 6:38 AM ]

Just a question since the guy kind of came from nowhere. Why cut C. Davis? He's been holding down the starting slot CB position and looked good last week. Has his performance at some point this camp led to the thought he should be cut or is it just because he's somewhat unknown? Looks like he's playsed pretty good to me
Update: saw your week 2 update buckeye and looks like you're on board with Davis.
[ Edited by walker807 on Aug 20, 2016 at 6:42 AM ]
I my opinion at WR it will be easier to stash Smelter on the practice squad since he has been hurt and there is not much tape on him. So I would switch D. White for Smelter. I like C Davis as a cb also, he is playing very well and if continues should be on the 53 team. Looking forward to seeing the game tonight and hoping the QB starts playing better........It is a rebuilding year so there will be a lot of pain but the games should be watchable and getting our younger players good experience in 2016 will bode well for 2017......Go 9'ers
I think we have some good players for trade bait even if we end up with conditional 7th round picks it's better than cutting them. I think AD with his new work ethic is to valuable to trade unless we get a high pick for him. He gives us flexibility for when we get an injury. He's more valuable to us than other teams. He can play anywhere but center. We're going to have a solid oline this year our rookies might not make the team. I wouldn't give Davis up for anything but a solid starter at another position. I see Smelter getting stashed on the injury list where we can bring him back like week 7, Someone would take him off our practice squad too much potential. It would of been nice if we could of given up a backup oline for green-beckhem to take a flyer on him.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
I think we have some good players for trade bait even if we end up with conditional 7th round picks it's better than cutting them. I think AD with his new work ethic is to valuable to trade unless we get a high pick for him. He gives us flexibility for when we get an injury. He's more valuable to us than other teams. He can play anywhere but center. We're going to have a solid oline this year our rookies might not make the team. I wouldn't give Davis up for anything but a solid starter at another position. I see Smelter getting stashed on the injury list where we can bring him back like week 7, Someone would take him off our practice squad too much potential. It would of been nice if we could of given up a backup oline for green-beckhem to take a flyer on him.

Bump for a nice thread that's still going strong in real life. Smelter isn't an IR candidate Baalke said, I think they wanna ensure he's healthy week1 and are trying to see what they have in the real bubble WRs.

NY, just my opinion, but whether we keep Burbridge , Smelter, White ,Simpson, to go with Torrey, or whoever your choices are at WR, I think those are the guys we play with. I don't think we get a top flite WR until we have our Franchise QB. Our current QBs aren't known for their accuracy, nor are they particularly good passers. Getting a great WR with no QB to throw to him doesn't make sense to me . So let's use the guys we got now, hope boht QBs learn to throw to them with a fair chance of a reception, and hold off on any more WRs until we have our FRanchise QB. Once we do that, fine, THEN get the WR you want. Now...I just think that is a wasted move. And certainly one or more of those guys can come up with some catches. A lot depends on the QB knowing the exact route, step for step, second for second. Let these guys have the role this yr. Next yr, we get a tough WR.
Share 49ersWebzone