LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Aussie 49ers fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
I'm sad to see him go. Aussies, we still have one of your own to root for here in the Bay Area. Andrew Bogut!!!

Blake Muir.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
I mean in terms of how big of a star was he in Australia, like Brady in the States, or Beckham in the UK.

Did he have a lot of sponsers in Australia like Brady and Beckham?

No, not that big. Until his name hit the media over here, I, like many Aussies, had never heard of him or his name meant nothing.
Neither League nor Union are big across the country, only in NSW (the most populous state) and QLD (one of the lesser populated) are there significant (and near religious) followings.
Unlike the States, multiple codes vie for viewers on tv, and have grown big enough for the media to prioritise on a state by state basis games and analysis shows.
The big three are Soccer (played in the summer here and is growing - media wise), Rugby League (mostly NSW, QLD, but smaller in Victoria), and Australian Rules Football (WA, Vic, SA, Tas, NT, expanding into NSW & QLD, and is a completely different game altogether. [At a national level, teams are based in WA, Vic, SA, NSW & QLD])
So nationally, Hayne isn't that huge a "star".
  • JoNeo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
LOL. This sentence had me in tears.

I'm glad you guys are sticking around. The humor and lightheartedness you guys brought was a breath of fresh air compared to the gloom that some of our American "fans" consistently pressed.

Better days will come and your loyalty will be rewarded! It's the Niner way!

Who could walk away from watching the team climb the ladder,starting with this season
And who would want to walk from the hospitality of the kinder people here
Cheers
  • Drift
  • Veteran
I think prior to his going to the NFL, Hayne's profile could have been compared reasonably to those players who are acknowledged as being best at their position in the NFL.

Not really like a QB though.

Going to the NFL bumped his profile considerably.
[ Edited by Drift on May 16, 2016 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Happy to have you guys stay!

This.

• Dingo
  • Veteran
Imagine finding a new US state the size of Ohio where all the did was punt.

I don't know much about Blake Muir or his chances but the niners would do well to strengthen their bond with the Australian public by maintaining a player presence. RB and PR/KR are going to be the best bet from Haynes code Rugby League. There will be more from this source over the coming years.

However, the League/Rugby world doesn't cover the southern and western states, like a Mason Dixon line (in fact its called the Barassi line). For a budding young Aussie the roster spot with the best fit is of course punter. South of the Barassi line live millions of Australian Rules (AFL) fans. There are 'inroad' teams in Sydney and Brisbane so aussie rules is played everywhere now. South of that line very little rugby of any code is played most would have never heard of Hayne a year ago.

The niners need an Aussie punter. When I watch Tom Hackett I see swarms of young AFL fans in parks and in streets, kicking the ball 'end to end' from one pack of players to the another and back again, they all look like Tom Hackett. Couple of steps, bam, catch at the other end, couple of steps bam. Just joking and mucking around after school, for hours on end.

There are potentially dozens of Ben Grahams, Sav Roccas and Darren Bennetts. Oh yeah, they can all catch and tackle too.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Yeah not THAT famous. Cricket players are the real superstars in Australia as it's the only sport the entire country plays. We play four codes of football at a pretty high level and the support is pretty diluted around the country.

Hockey player famous might be the best analogy, household name in certain parts of the country, barely heard of in others.
[ Edited by Jasta on May 16, 2016 at 4:40 PM ]
Hope it doesn't discourage other rugby players trying out. They just need to do it at an earlier age.
I lost respect for Hayne. Before quitting NFL, he talked a lot about chasing his dreams no matter what obstacles lies ahead of him. Now, he pussied out of NRL all for the sake of "following another dream". If Olympics was something he really wanted to do (more than NFL), then why didn't he aim for it at the beginning when he left NRL. Why did he go for NFL? What's even more hilarious is his spot in the Olympics team is not guaranteed.

I bet Baalked informed Hayne that he wasn't going to/had a very low chance to make the roster, so Hayne quit NFL before it became publicly known that he was cut. What a shame. He had talent to excel in this sport (as shown in last year's pre-season), but he chose to p***y away from the game instead of challenging it, which is ironic to what the JH Apparel brand is all about.

Well at least Hayne got me into NFL, so I can thank him for that. I'll still follow the Niners as I did when Hayne wasn't playing (cut). Hope to see beasts like Hyde, Lynch and Armstrong excel next year. And hopefully Kaepernick too.
Carlos Hyde is my new Overlord,this dude will not quit on me.

• frenz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
Hope it doesn't discourage other rugby players trying out. They just need to do it at an earlier age.

Seems to me like it will the colleges sending out scouts to recruit from the schoolboys team, etc. That'd create a nice pipeline to the NFL.
I'll keep involved.

I was one of the Aussies attracted in at the beginning by the Hayne story but then put off by the loons like Goatie and Co who turned it into a fight, claiming he was a messiah, or something.

I've always liked NFL. From now on, the 49ers will be my fave team

Go niners.
Originally posted by shanky:
I'll keep involved.

I was one of the Aussies attracted in at the beginning by the Hayne story but then put off by the loons like Goatie and Co who turned it into a fight, claiming he was a messiah, or something.

I've always liked NFL. From now on, the 49ers will be my fave team

Go niners.

Yeah i'm with you Shanky. My first NFL experience was back in the 90's on my ancient PC (486SX FTW) with Mike Ditka.
Been loosely following it since then, but had never chosen a team other than liking Brady's ability to command a game & throw the ball.

Niners all the way now, and the best part is, it can't any worse than last year. Right? Please?

Go Niners.
Good call howardyou

San Fran is also a good choice for Aussies, given we're just across the Pacific

I hope the team starts throwing the ball abit more...seemed stacked with players who can catch the ball and not rely so much on hyde running the ball even though he is a beast but he runs so violently hence the injuries... from what i read this as been a running team ??? And chip favors passing????.... ohh plz fix this s**t when you need 10 yards and you throw it 2 yards thats pisses me off
[ Edited by aussiepeter on May 17, 2016 at 5:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone