LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

Parys Haralson Hired as Player Engagement Director

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Walsh offered the players a real service in Dr. Edwards. He has studied this stuff and doesn't need to look into his own playing career for solutions. Edwards has a proven set of skills; like getting the small school kid from Mississippi to make a smooth transition to the bay area so that he could become the greatest player ever while also becoming a great member of the community.

Harry Edwards was never more than a consultant. He wasnt on the staff and he wasnt typically in the building. The 49ers have the same relationship with him now as they did in Walsh's era. He consults, to the players and coaches of the 49ers, Warriors, Raiders and other teams.

Edwards certainly didnt stop Charles Haley from acting nuts, nor Aldon or Ray McDonald. As a guy who isnt inside the building, there is only so much that he can do.

What the 49ers have done is created a position for a guy who will be in-house, who will be a fulltime employee to work with the players on an ongoing basis and keep an eye on the guys who need the most help, whether the team is at home or on the road, he will be accessible to players.

Its a smart move to add that position but as usual people will only find reason to complain.

How do you know all of this, do you work for the team?

Dr. Edwards was Bills go to guy on player transitions. Also, if it wasn't for Dr. Edwards and Lott Haley would have probably killed someone. I think this is a subpar service since the mental health and addiction aspect of the transition is a huge issue for players these days.
His main job will be to keep players away from aldon and keep kap away from their girlfriends.

Dr. Edwards was Bills go to guy on player transitions. Also, if it wasn't for Dr. Edwards and Lott Haley would have probably killed someone. I think this is a subpar service since the mental health and addiction aspect of the transition is a huge issue for players these days.

His role since 1985 has been the same with the 49ers. As a consultant, never a full-time employee or an in-house guy. He's the guy that you would call up on the phone specifically for advice on a particular situation, such as Chip Kelly did in regards to the LeGarrette Blount and Riley Cooper incidents.

Edwards is the guy that you would send a player having issues to talk to, he was never a guy that was around all the time. He never just consulted with the 49ers either, he consulted with the Warriors, the Raiders, MLB, the Lakers, the NFL...etc. He's been a consultant to the Warriors almost as long as he's doing it with the 49ers.

Hiring Haralson doesn't replace Edwards, it doesn't change anything about what Edwards does. Edwards is still a 49ers consultant, just as he has been since 1985.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Haralson-returns-to-49ers-in-player-engagement-7444820.php

In the past two years, the 49ers have increased their full-time player-engagement staff from one to three, tripled the budget and also had part-timers such as Harry Edwards, a sociologist, and pastor Earl Smith assume more active roles.

What it adds is someone that is familiar with the way the league operates, a former player who understands the pitfalls and land mines that are out there and can be around constantly to keep an eye on the guys who need the most help, to help them avoid making some of the same mistakes that many other players make. Its a common sense thing and a position that every team should have.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2016 at 2:50 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Walsh offered the players a real service in Dr. Edwards. He has studied this stuff and doesn't need to look into his own playing career for solutions. Edwards has a proven set of skills; like getting the small school kid from Mississippi to make a smooth transition to the bay area so that he could become the greatest player ever while also becoming a great member of the community.

Harry Edwards was never more than a consultant. He wasnt on the staff and he wasnt typically in the building. The 49ers have the same relationship with him now as they did in Walsh's era. He consults, to the players and coaches of the 49ers, Warriors, Raiders and other teams.

Edwards certainly didnt stop Charles Haley from acting nuts, nor Aldon or Ray McDonald. As a guy who isnt inside the building, there is only so much that he can do.

What the 49ers have done is created a position for a guy who will be in-house, who will be a fulltime employee to work with the players on an ongoing basis and keep an eye on the guys who need the most help, whether the team is at home or on the road, he will be accessible to players.

Its a smart move to add that position but as usual people will only find reason to complain.

brah phoenix knows everything.
  • thl408
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by thl408:
He can thank RayMac and Aldon for the 49ers creating this position.

So aldon took his job from him but created one for him also

mind blown
Originally posted by susweel:
brah phoenix knows everything.

In the past two years, the 49ers have increased their full-time player-engagement staff from one to three, tripled the budget and also had part-timers such as Harry Edwards, a sociologist, and pastor Earl Smith assume more active roles.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Haralson-returns-to-49ers-in-player-engagement-7444820.php
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Player's do not get engaged here, we prefer sexual assault.

you really should be banned in my opinion for this s**t

In my opinion, it's hilarious. Dark humor is still humor. It's poking fun at the obvious problems this team has had with absurd player conduct as of late. It doesn't condone, it actually is more of a condemnation.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Matchuu84:
Player's do not get engaged here, we prefer sexual assault.

you really should be banned in my opinion for this s**t

In my opinion, it's hilarious. Dark humor is still humor. It's poking fun at the obvious problems this team has had with absurd player conduct as of late. It doesn't condone, it actually is more of a condemnation.

yeah i lol'd
Originally posted by Jcool:

Yes, I am what you would call an unpaid observations. Responsible for absolutely nothing, pretty much the same as Baalke and Co. only they get paid.
[ Edited by glorydayz on May 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM ]

cool. If he needs a marketing person, let me know.
Question: Which players do you think he should locate and focus his attention?
Congratulations to Parys on the new gig. Love to see one of our own come back into the fold. And good for Jed or Baalke or or whoever decided to do this. It is a great decision, and many more kids coming out of college early will benefit from have someone in the building, as will vets that are leaving, or injured players losing a career. It is a good idea, and while overdue, it is better late than never. Dr. Edwards still being retained leaves a great resource for Parys to utilize in the new position.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
His main job will be to keep players away from aldon and keep kap away from their girlfriends.

and keep bruce miller away from the bars so he does not leak information to the outside world
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pick4Six:
Why would he want to come to this toxic dump? no one else wants to

Damn you're another one huh?

newbies are so fun
Share 49ersWebzone