LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

Parys Haralson Hired as Player Engagement Director

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I misread this as Player Enlargement Director.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I though Dr. Harry Edwards was dealing with this stuff?

He has always been a consultant to the 49ers and other teams, never a full-time employee.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I though Dr. Harry Edwards was dealing with this stuff?

He has always been a consultant to the 49ers and other teams, never a full-time employee.

Yes, but he is well qualified to deal with this stuff, I remember hearing him speak somewhere. He spoke about helping with player transitions under Walsh.
Yes, but he is well qualified to deal with this stuff, I remember hearing him speak somewhere. He spoke about helping with player transitions under Walsh.

Thats fine...having a former player working in-house isnt going to change any of that but add yet another resource for players. They will have a guy who is always in the building and around the players.

Kelly has already relied upon Edwards in the past and I'm sure that will continue.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2016 at 1:43 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
He should immediately find Rashad Robinson and start with him before the receptionist's iPad disappear!!

Thats fine...having a former player working in-house isnt going to change any of that but add yet another resource for players. They will have a guy who is always in the building and around the players.

IDK, sounds like a Jim Tomsulaish move to me.

How is this a "Tomsulaish" move? They basically just created a whole new position and hired a former NFL player to advise rookies and guys coming to the end of their careers as well as providing overall improved player relations. One more set of eyes and one more voice to say "man I wouldnt do that s**t if I were you!"

How is that not an improvement from not having that position at all?

The Webzone....where people will b***h about literally anything.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM ]
  • thl408
He can thank RayMac and Aldon for the 49ers creating this position.
Originally posted by thl408:

Pretty much this.

How is this a "Tomsulaish" move? They basically just created a whole new position and hired a former NFL player to advise rookies and guys coming to the end of their careers as well as providing overall improved player relations. One more set of eyes and one more voice to say "man I wouldnt do that s**t if I were you!"

How is that not an improvement from not having that position at all?

The Webzone....where people will b***h about literally anything.

Walsh offered the players a real service in Dr. Edwards. He has studied this stuff and doesn't need to look into his own playing career for solutions. Edwards has a proven set of skills; like getting the small school kid from Mississippi to make a smooth transition to the bay area so that he could become the greatest player ever while also becoming a great member of the community.

Pretty much this.

So true
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Pretty much this.

typical Yorks 3 years too late.

So aldon took his job from him but created one for him also
Originally posted by 9moon:
He should immediately find Rashad Robinson and start with him before the receptionist's iPad disappear!!

No doubt. I remember reading that the team chaplain has had discussions with him already to check his character.
Walsh offered the players a real service in Dr. Edwards. He has studied this stuff and doesn't need to look into his own playing career for solutions. Edwards has a proven set of skills; like getting the small school kid from Mississippi to make a smooth transition to the bay area so that he could become the greatest player ever while also becoming a great member of the community.

Harry Edwards was never more than a consultant. He wasnt on the staff and he wasnt typically in the building. The 49ers have the same relationship with him now as they did in Walsh's era. He consults, to the players and coaches of the 49ers, Warriors, Raiders and other teams.

Edwards certainly didnt stop Charles Haley from acting nuts, nor Aldon or Ray McDonald. As a guy who isnt inside the building, there is only so much that he can do.

What the 49ers have done is created a position for a guy who will be in-house, who will be a fulltime employee to work with the players on an ongoing basis and keep an eye on the guys who need the most help, whether the team is at home or on the road, he will be accessible to players.

Its a smart move to add that position but as usual people will only find reason to complain.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 10, 2016 at 2:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone