LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

So who is going to be our starting Quar...jk... Tight End?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I still think it is Vance for some reason.... maybe because of his blocking?

Celek started being an offensive threat when plays were called for him more.

I still believe in Vance...but Celek deserves the starting job if it were just based off last season. And maybe he is a better fit in Kelly's system.

Is there even a competition? No one seems to be talking (media/fans) about it.

Will both be on the field at the same time alot?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I still think it is Vance for some reason.... maybe because of his blocking?

Celek started being an offensive threat when plays were called for him more.

I still believe in Vance...but Celek deserves the starting job if it were just based off last season. And maybe he is a better fit in Kelly's system.

Is there even a competition? No one seems to be talking (media/fans) about it.

Will both be on the field at the same time alot?

I haven't seen much of Chips offense but I am hearing he actually uses his WRs much more than what we've been used to. Perhaps this is why we haven't heard much about the TE position. Then I saw Maiocco report today about how my guy Delanie Walker had 94 rec for 1098 yards or something like that last season and then I realized how we never developed our QBs TEs nor WRs here the last few years. We sure as hell threw to an already developed Crabtree Boldin and sometimes VD. The only receiver we seemed to develop was Bruce Miller at FB. It really shows itself when Delanie is here catching 19 balls then he's out in TEN catching 95 a season
They are both pretty mediocre. With Vance's speed and blocking, I would love to see him develop decent hands and become a good TE. Busta Anderson is someone else I would love to see blossom, he was a decent receiver in college. Celek is a good backup IMO.
I'm a much bigger fan of Vance's than most, and I hope they extend his contract right now. I think he'll be the starter. However, depth is going to be really important in a Chip-Kelly offense not just because players get tired but because more total plays = more injuries. So I think 2 TEs will be very important to the team, if not 3.
Drafting a TE next year should be a priority
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Drafting a TE next year should be a priority

baalke gonna draft 5 more CBs instead.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
This guy:

• thl408
A receiving TE is important in Chip's offense and since he doesn't use a fullback, he goes double TEs. I'm rooting for Vance as starter. If he can get his concentration/hands to an average level, he has everything else to be better than Celek. Celek's hands seem very and he has that over Vance. Miller converting to a "move TE" probably means he will most likely not be playing inline. This could be a good camp battle.
Vance and Celek will be #1 and #2, everyone else will be fighting for scraps.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Vance and Celek will be #1 and #2, everyone else will be fighting for scraps.

+1 Cajuste not ready yet IMO.

I think the OP forgot about Blake "the bulldozer" Bell. He will emerge by the end of the season as the TE of the future. McDonald will be gone in FA as Celek and Bell are the TE;s for the niners
Vance
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Meh. I like Celek but he's not really a starter imo. Ive given up on Vance. Looking forward to Busta now.
I'm gonna roll with Vance, we saw the potential last year when he got some targets...we all know the hands are suspect but I think with more reps and confidence he can over come it. I think we are young at the TE spot so somone like Bell could make a real jump in his 2nd yr as well.

Also I'm not in the bandwagon to move Cajuste to TE either, I like his size and athletic ability as a miss match at WR maybe a H-back.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the OP forgot about Blake "the bulldozer" Bell. He will emerge by the end of the season as the TE of the future. McDonald will be gone in FA as Celek and Bell are the TE;s for the niners

As good a guess as any... I like.
Share 49ersWebzone