LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

49ers 2016 win total over/under 5.5

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers 2016 win total over/under 5.5

C'mon, eastcoast that was 2 yrs ago. Last yr we were unmentionably bad. And the talent this yr is miles better than devey/Martin/pears. I won't argue about two yrs back...that WAS a rock solid OL. But this yr is part of the rebuild, and you would have to agree it is light yrs ahead of last yr.
I don't agree it's light years ahead of last year. We're still one injury away from potentially starting Martin/Pears. I don't think the odds of Kilgore (and everyone else) on our offensive line staying healthy all year. If you somehow were able to tell me the offensive line would be healthy all year, then yes, it's better than last year. It's not light years better though. Even if we have perfect health, we're likely to get worse at LT and LG.

I like our defense, but our offense is still one of the least talented in the league. The 5.5 win line makes sense to me. The Rams game at home week 1 is one of the most winnable games on our schedule - if we lose that, I could see things snowballing where we finish with fewer than 5 wins. Chip Kelly is known for losing locker rooms.

As of right now, we are the underdogs in every game we play this season. Footballlocks has the line at 5 wins down from 5.5
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-point-spreads-2016-games-week-by-week-favorite-underdog-odds-of-winning-042216
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Jay, our OL looks to me a lot better than "better". I think our OL WILL be way, way better, pending what is going to be done at OC....is Kilgore back to how he played 2 yrs ago, or better yet, is he healthy? If he is healthy and regains his talent level of 2 yrs ago, then our OL is going to be so good it is scary.

Tiller is for real.

Trent Brown is for REAL.

Garnett is for real, but may take 3-4 games to get him up to NFL speed.

Staley is ...well, all pro.

Beadles is....well, supposedly, the guy Chip and Trent wanted for ZBS, which he has played extensively.

Thomas is....well, we either see this yr or adios

Silberman....ditto.

Colin Kelly....no idea

Balducci....has played O before , but a while back....probably a work in progress this yr.

Note, however, you see no reference to Martin, devey, or Pears. I expect them all to end up like devey....gone.

Top this all off with Cooper and Theus, both can play RT or LT. That gives us 6 bona fide starters, and Colin K, Thomas, Silberman are , unknown quantities as backups. Cooper, Theus could play if they had to. If Kilgore is healthy we have then 6 starters for 5 slots, tho OC still needs attending to. So compared to last yr, Kilgore hurt or play fell off, and then , the terrible triumvirate of Martin, pears, and devey(now gone.)....with only Staley left as a usable, reliable OL. Now we have 6 guys who can start....FTR, I believe we either FA an OC or make a trade for/ or pick up an OC who still has a yr left in the tank. By rights, the OL should be 80% improved, going from one decent OL to now 5...unhh...make that 6.

Last yr we had ZERO coaching, and OL was no exception, no game plan, no change of tactics at halftime, and so on. You all know the litany. Now, add to that a massive 350 lb agile TE on the R, and two very good choices on the L. Immediately, this is a red hot running team. With Chip, we have a genuine innovator at OC/HC, and last time we had one of those was ....let's see...during the 80s. We also saw what happened when Harbaw showed up and organized for the first time in 9 yrs all the talent we had acquired during those yrs of top 7 picks.

RBs, a real problem last yr, now has Hyde , Davis, duJuan, Draughn, and now Taylor. Not bad, and way better than what we finished the yr with.

On D, we scored the #1 DL/DE in the draft, AA is now pretty well broken in, Ian /Dial/ Purcell are sturdy NTs, tho Ian is still not healed. Bow, Hodges, Lynch at LB is same as last yr, and finally, DBs ...a good crew, just got 3 talented guys from college...we'll see how they do.

Coaching is going from HC en absentia vs negative coaching... to a guy who is a real innovator and the one ?, DC. Still Chip will be very involved with D would be my bet. Now if we were a 2 W team who lucked into 3 other Ws, then we are doubly better than that this yr. Luck always is part of the equation, and even tho we were gifted 3 Ws, that is the way this game goes. So we were a 5 W team, not a 2 W. This always evens up, even if it takes several yrs. How this team can be considered a 5.5 W team....to me is astonishing. Granted , chip ball may take a while to get down. But once learned, proponents say it is easy from there. So still I say rock bottom we win at least 6. But I also wrote a piece where I could see a way to get to 10 Ws, altho I am not proposing that. I just see a way it could happen and posted it some pages back. With really great coaching, albeit D is still unknown, a massively talent infused D....it is very hard for me to see us winning just 6 games.

I dig your optimism / motivation here... we really need the rookies to be, at the very least, average though. The competion only pushes guys to get better, we do have a lot of unknowns who can actually turn the corner this year and progress every game into solid players (hopefully). We all know the guys in the trenches help all other positions look a lot better.

We do look decent on paper I feel the optimism, but truthfully, at this point, it's mostly just potential and hope. But in my opinion, we will be better than last year, especially as the year progresses... most of the guys are back, better coaching and new additions point us in the right direction. I just hope ChiBaalka doesn't screw this up.
Share 49ersWebzone