LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Our re-shaped outside linebackers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's interesting that the 49ers website lists Ronald Blair at 6-4 270. He's really just over 6-2, and unless he's dropped more weight, he's heavier than 270. If he really is that light now, that makes things really interesting. He'd be rushing the edge more.

I just want him to be successful either way. But with Armstead and Buckner as bookends, if Blair is too good to keep off the field, maybe they do eventually think about using him as a hybrid rusher.

Then again, I'd like to have the kind of speed and power he's got as depth at DE. So let's hope Harold/Carradine work out and another player replaces Brooks long term.

Same, I thought he was 6'2" 284. He said he dropped weight down to 270 to prove he could play outside too and be versatile (open up more options for himself) but his natural position is the DL so, 290 is about right. Trent already said they'd move him up and down the LOS in nickel and dime.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's interesting that the 49ers website lists Ronald Blair at 6-4 270. He's really just over 6-2, and unless he's dropped more weight, he's heavier than 270. If he really is that light now, that makes things really interesting. He'd be rushing the edge more.

I just want him to be successful either way. But with Armstead and Buckner as bookends, if Blair is too good to keep off the field, maybe they do eventually think about using him as a hybrid rusher.

Then again, I'd like to have the kind of speed and power he's got as depth at DE. So let's hope Harold/Carradine work out and another player replaces Brooks long term.

Same, I thought he was 6'2" 284. He said he dropped weight down to 270 to prove he could play outside too and be versatile (open up more options for himself) but his natural position is the DL so, 290 is about right. Trent already said they'd move him up and down the LOS in nickel and dime.

I want our team to bring relentless pressure across the entire front seven. Right now, ILB and OLB are the two biggest question marks outside of Bowman and Lynch. I hope Hodges can develop into a star at that spot, but we'll need an upgrade if he can't. Wilhoite has kind of plateaued. Harold/Carradine and the rest all haven't proven anything.

If those guys pan out at OLB and Hodges steps up. LOOK OUT. That front seven would be nearly unstoppable.

I want our team to bring relentless pressure across the entire front seven. Right now, ILB and OLB are the two biggest question marks outside of Bowman and Lynch. I hope Hodges can develop into a star at that spot, but we'll need an upgrade if he can't. Wilhoite has kind of plateaued. Harold/Carradine and the rest all haven't proven anything.

If those guys pan out at OLB and Hodges steps up. LOOK OUT. That front seven would be nearly unstoppable.

100% agree...and keep your eye on Tartt (robber) and Ward (@ SS). If the front 7 can rotate and bring pressure, you don't even need to worry about Hodges...Tartt will be on the field 60-70% of the time and I have a feeling he and Ward (playing down hill) could have monster years in the middle of the field.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Yeeeeessssss

Tank is going to tear s**t up this year. . . I hope

I have been saying this every year!

SMH
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by ChipKelly:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Yeeeeessssss

Tank is going to tear s**t up this year. . . I hope

I have heard this so many times.. I hope... REALLY HOPE this year is the year.

Agree

If not he may be gone

He's probably gone either way. UFA at the end of this year. He might be a little pissed that they wasted 2 years trying to convert him to a 3-4 DE.

Money and success have a way of changing attitudes.

Money and success can come from teams other than the 49ers. If he is successful and tears it up, I believe there will be a number of 4-3 teams willing to sign him.

100% agree...and keep your eye on Tartt (robber) and Ward (@ SS). If the front 7 can rotate and bring pressure, you don't even need to worry about Hodges...Tartt will be on the field 60-70% of the time and I have a feeling he and Ward (playing down hill) could have monster years in the middle of the field.

Watching some of Cleveland over the past 2 years, it is clear the defensive line will be allowed to attack again. The question will be do we allow the corners to do what they all seemingly do best....go man on man with 2 deep safeties
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Watching some of Cleveland over the past 2 years, it is clear the defensive line will be allowed to attack again. The question will be do we allow the corners to do what they all seemingly do best....go man on man with 2 deep safeties

That's my biggest question as well...how is O'Neil going to play the outside and with which personnel? That vision of Cromartie and Johnson beating the crap out of the Falcon's WR's was how I've always envisioned our CB's to play but that was the last we saw of that personnel and strategy. It sounds like he runs a mix of man, press, zone, underneath pattern matching, etc. It's going to be interesting to watch unfold. Thoughts?
Share 49ersWebzone