LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Our re-shaped outside linebackers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've been eager to get a glimpse on the progress of Eli Harold and Tank Carradine. And it's interesting that they are trying to get to the same size in different ways. Finally, the niners posted some good photos of the two of them in action, and early results look good!!

Yeeeeessssss

Tank is going to tear s**t up this year. . . I hope
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I worry about Tank.. I mean, as good and athletic as he was at FSU, I just doubt that he can play the OLB.. he's a natural 4-3 end (IMO) and I think that he being out of position in the NFL (3-4 end/olb) is really hurting him..

well, aside from he being clueless with the defensive scheme..

His situation now actually reminded me of how Nolan tried to turn (DE) Andre Carter into an OLB when he took over the team. .. and since he was not natural at the position, of course he failed, which lead to his release..

Baalke must realise by now that he made a mistake drafting Tank and if he thinks that he can line up opposite Lynch or Brooks, and start to drop back and cover those RBs, man, the guy is gonna get expose and will be on every teams ESPN highlights.
Someone need to remind Tank that he is not suppose to wear shoulder pads in those drills.

I think he is going to have a good year rushing from the edge.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I worry about Tank.. I mean, as good and athletic as he was at FSU, I just doubt that he can play the OLB.. he's a natural 4-3 end (IMO) and I think that he being out of position in the NFL (3-4 end/olb) is really hurting him..

His situation now actually reminded me of how Nolan tried to turn (DE) Andre Carter into an OLB when he took over the team. .. and since he was not natural at the position, of course he failed, which lead to his release..

Baalke must realise by now that he made a mistake drafting Tank and if he thinks that he can line up opposite Lynch or Brooks, and start to drop back and cover those RBs, man, the guy is gonna get expose and will be on every teams ESPN highlights.

He's not playing OLB. Baalke said he is going to be playing on the edge in their 4 man fronts.
Hopefully Tank lives up to expectations, I wanted him in the draft.
Either way, he'll be rushing off the edge from the WILL. That's his strength.

They both look great!

I'm as curious to see our edge rushers as much as the WR's now that we have an OL, running game and coaching staff.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Someone need to remind Tank that he is not suppose to wear shoulder pads in those drills.

I think he is going to have a good year rushing from the edge.

He has big shoulders lol
I was pretty stoked when we drafted Tank. Hoping he can rebound with a position change
I hope it works for both of them.

Originally posted by JohnMatrix:

He's not playing OLB. Baalke said he is going to be playing on the edge in their 4 man fronts.

He's going to be a hybrid player. There are several reports out there that state he's been doing drills with the OLBs and that is his new position group. He may play with his hand in the dirt in nickel situations, but they are certainly looking to get him prepped to be depth for our OLB group. We need all the competition we can get there.

Lynch, Harold, Carradine, Brooks. After that, there's nobody. Lemonier? Marcus Rush? The UDFAs? We'll see if anyone emerges.
I think they offer a nice platoon out there, with Eli playing early downs where he can show off his agility in coverage, then having Tank come in on passing downs to rush off the edge. Will keep them each fresh, and play to their strengths.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Lynch, Harold, Carradine, Brooks. After that, there's nobody. Lemonier? Marcus Rush? The UDFAs? We'll see if anyone emerges.

How many OLBs would we typically carry on game day? That group seems like it offers decent depth. I was suprised we didn't at least pick up 1 OLB for depth but I can roll with these guys for a year. Let's see what we have with Harold/Carradine before trying to find another starter at the position.
Originally posted by JohnMatrix:

yep! a statistic showed that "3-4 defenses" have 4 man fronts almost 70% of the time.
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

How many OLBs would we typically carry on game day? That group seems like it offers decent depth. I was suprised we didn't at least pick up 1 OLB for depth but I can roll with these guys for a year. Let's see what we have with Harold/Carradine before trying to find another starter at the position.

i agree. 4 solid OLB works. Lemonier was okay in run defense so he could also be added to the rotation. I remember when we had just Aldon, Brooks, and Haralson
Share 49ersWebzone