There are 227 users in the forums

Roster Status - Are we really that depleted of talent?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Beerman:
We're on the way back.

Simply put.
  • frenz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CenCal9er:
I keep seeing all the B.Miller gettin traded/cut type stuff... with that being said, could he actually be a legit tail back & not a full back? Obviously he doesn't have the speed, but the dude can ball. Just a thought...

He's taking reps at TE in practice apparently.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ok,, "Staley is a very good to above average LT" ...we all would agree to that. But Joe is also an ALL PRO LT, and that is where Guapo and I would disagree with you. Big difference between "very good and above average" and being an all pro for multiple yrs. Huge difference.

Also, eastcoast, I think you will find a lot more folks that think Bow is stiil an excellent LB than those who think he is not in top 10. That is where the "quibble" is.

On another subject, it is worth repeating that rather than are we depleted, or are we not that good, the pink elephant in the room is Harbaw and tomsul's absolute refusal to play all but their vets. Part of the job of being HC is to find out exactly what you have on the bench and to coach them up and make them better. Tomsul ...ah, not worth discussing...just a total loss of one yr....but Harbaw, had 4 yrs to develop guys, yet an awful lot of them never got off the bench. We went thru 2 drafts for sure, but probably a 3rd, where intelligent drafting was impossible, in that Harbaw would just not play guys on the bench and find out what they had...or didn't have. It wasn't criminal, but it sure as heck was gross negligence. Playing nothing but vets and one or two top draft picks every yr is certainly getting your best guys on the field. But not playing guys who might even be better...well that's a college coach for you. Harbaw certainly organized all the talent that had accumulated over the 9 yrs of picking in top 7-10. But did he develop those guys sitting on the bench...or even give them a shot? No. And that leads ultimately to an overall decline in talent on the team, when you end up drafting wtih no idea what you have already sitting on the pine. That is the mark of a short timer, not a NFL coach who plans to be around a long time.

In the end he got fired...ok, mutually agreed to separation....but he should have been fired a yr earlier. True it would have been hard to pull that off, so we did ok with the "firing/separation" after the 2014 season. But it could have/ should have....been a yr earlier. NO way the fan base nor owner would have signed off on that tho.

Thanks for clarifying pascod, I wish eastcoast would "learn to read" instead of trying to claim that above average could mean an all pro top 5 easily at his position which would be "great" or "elite" in anyone's book.

And you are right about bowman. Still a top 5 ilb and people tend to forget lbs like Wagner graded Polly for many years and bowman has been elite basically his whole career. Last year he dropped from a top 2 ilb to probably top 5 but still way better than Wagner and Johnson.
Originally posted by NikeSBHead:
lol Bowman came off and ACL last year and still flexed on the league. That guy would really take 33 year old Derrick Johnson over a now even healthier and younger Bowman?

Excuse my friend, he's a little slow.....the town is 2 miles THAT WAY!
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
I don't think we're more than a season away from being a force to reckon with in the division. That said, you don't really know what you have until the pads crack live.

I would agree if we were in the NFC LEast. But as a team in the West, I dont know that I can agree with this.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Very inexperienced team with brand new and very young coaches. This can only be solved with time.

This...it's remarkable that in a rebuild year last year, how little experience players got. Take a look at who had the most snaps and then go down the list. You'll find yourself saying, "These numbers should be inverted!" And probably feeling like, "What a waste of a year! "

Offensive Personnel: (2015 Snap Count)
QB: Blaine Gabbert (509); Colin Kaepernick (502), Jeff Driskel (0), Thad Lewis (0) & Dylan Thompson (0)
There's nothing like splitting time at QB.

RB1: Carlos Hyde (292); Mike Davis (126) & Kendall Gaskins (91)
RB2: DuJuan Harris (61); Shaun Draughn (253), Kelvin Taylor (0) & Jarryd Hayne (63)
When your #1 RB only plays a few games and still ends up leading in snaps, that's a bad year...rash of injuries.

MTE: Bruce Miller (143); Busta Anderson (0) & Devon Cajuste (0)
TE: Garrett Celek (399) & Vance McDonald (468); Blake Bell (352) & Jamie Childers (0)
Your most used TE only had 468 snaps all year. That's less than half (46%) of the offensive snaps. And I'm not sure they would have been used that much if not for switching QB's and to the WCO half way through the year.

X WR: Torrey Smith (772); Jerome Simpson (85) & Bryce Treggs (0)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington (143); Aaron Burbridge (0), DeAndrew White (30) & DiAndre Campbell (0)
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter (0); Quinton Patton (424), Dres Anderson (0) & Eric Rogers (0)
Your #1 FA only plays 772 snaps and without Boldin, the next closest is Patton at 424? Why even have WR's then. LOL

LOT: Joe Staley (1,011); Fahn Cooper (0)
LG: Zane Beadles (1,058); Andrew Tiller (614), Blake Muir & Jordan Devey (388)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267); Ian Silberman (0)
RG: Joshua Garnett (0); Erik Pears (1,011), Brandon Thomas (0) & Marcus Martin (819)
ROT: Trenton Brown (186); John Theus (0) & Colin Kelly (0)
Nothing speaks to dysfunction like Pears and Devey racking up a collective 1,400 snaps! Fans should see the big 0 next to Thomas and want to puke, along with only 186 for Brown and 614 for Tiller. Kilgore, coming back from injury only had 267 himself. Ouch.

Defensive Personnel:
RDE: DeForest Bucker (0); Ronald Blair (0), Alex Balducci (0) & Tony Jerod Eddie (290)
NT: Quinton Dial (640); Mike Purcell (288), Darren Lake (0) & Garrison Smith (0) (Ian Williams - 659)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375); Kaleb Ramsey (0) & Demetrius Cherry (0) (Glenn Dorsey - 45)
Like with Tiller and Brown, it's hard to fathom that with the Dorsey injury, our #1 draft pick only got 375 snaps. That's 34% of the total snaps. Your other more experienced RDE only had twice that! And when your NT is leading in snaps at 60% of the snaps, something is badly off. Good ol' TJE.

ELEPHANT: Tank Carradine (223)
WILL: Eli Harold (337); Marcus Rush (0), Ray-Ray Armstrong (0) & Kevin Anderson (0)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (793); Ahmad Brooks (741), Corey Lemonier (271), Jason Fanaika & Lenny Jones (0)
Yeah. Your rotational pass rusher gets 337 chances to grow/develop.

TED: Gerald Hodges (366); Michael Wilhoite (616)
MIKE: Navarro Bowman (1,098); Shayne Skov (8) & Nick Bellore (7)
ROBBER: Jaquiski Tartt (719)
Ahhhh, here we go. We've got a player coming back from major knee reconstruction. Let's give him EVERY snap.

RCB: Dontae Johnson (366); Rashard Robinson (0) & Marcus Cromartie (122)
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser (79); Will Redmond (0), Prince Charles Iworah (0) & Kyle Sebetic (0)
LCB: Tramaine Brock (1,064); Kenneth Acker (807) & Chris Davis (17)
FS: Eric Reid (1,113); L.J. McCray (0) & Jered Bell (0)
SS: Jimmie Ward (730); Antoine Bethea (440)
Same concept with the OL. Better players getting less snaps. Injuries forced a lot of shifts here so that also affects the development.

nvm
[ Edited by susweel on May 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM ]
We really lack the impact players. A team filled with only solid players and young promisses doesnt get much better than average. Our divisioin is strong, average is not enough.

If most of the young players step up and show some real development, then we are back to the game. But its a big IF.
Share 49ersWebzone