There are 276 users in the forums

Inside Linebacker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
we need hodges to step up big time this year, last year he had a excuse because he was transitioning to a 3-4 mid season. having whilhote in coverage was not a positive last year
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sounds about right. Bowman + Hodges + Tartt (robber) with serviceable backups in Wilhoite + Skov.

Who did you have in mind over who the FO picked?

IDK If I'm being honest. I just thought after watching us go from a great run defense to one of the worst in the league it would be a bigger priority. I'm not a fan of our front office. They seem to think the first round talent is only one that has a chance to do something this year and everything else is a wild game of Keno. Well I'm hoping the D-line is really the issue but to me it wasn't the biggest problem. I agree Hodges made some improvement but there was so many missed assignments I'm not sure he has the instinct for the position. I don't know why anyone thinks giving the most rushing touchdowns to us being a great run stopping defense happens with one defensive line addition.

Sure, scheme was a bigger issue to me last year. Mangini's scheme puts a TON of pressure on the ILB's. Bowman says the new defense is more linebacker friendly. You can probably read into that one. I'm very curious how Bowman + Hodges + Tartt look now with a full offseason together and new linebacker friendly scheme both in base and nickel and dime sets.
To be sure, Baalke will be scouring the waiver wires.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree our ILB group is thin. Not enough quality talent there. This wasn't a good draft for ILBs. Will just have to deal with it until next year.

In the meantime we just need Hodges, Wilhoite, or Skov to be able to handle duties in base defense. I think when we go Nickel and Dime we'll sub-in Tartt in a hybrid LB/S role. Bethea or Ward starts at safety with Reid.

what? How can you judge this draft for ilb? Last year was supposed to be a sucky year too but there were 4-5 rookie performers that would have been a lot better than wihoite/hodges/whoever.

Youknow, you have to take a chance sometimes. Please don't give fo a pass on this.

Why draft 4 more db's? come on just plain weird.

Please list them.
Originally posted by 4ML:
I kind of agree. Didn't understand round 3 or round 4 picks on CBs who have started very few games in college. Just didn't make sense for our team. When talkin' about Buckner - Baalke talked about number of snaps and games played by him over his career at Oregon as a huge plus...and then goes on to draft guys who have hardly played more than a handful of games. Makes little sense.

Still don't think there is a clear draft strategy. I liked the first round picks and I liked couple of late round picks...but don't understand the strategy.

yeh this++. Baalke is a dumpster diver. That how he shows the world how good he is.

Nobody can figure out the CB overload when we are desperately trying to build a smashmouth d.

The mentality about ilb needs to be that there are 4-5 starters in every class and we have to go find them. happened last year. Will happen this year.

Plentry of guys available instead of redmond. we just didn't prioritize.

The tartt experiment will last about as long as the first time he gets trucked by a pro guard.

It's so funny how the guy that said we had too many non-impact players on our team last year wants us to draft a body just because it fills a need instead of drafting players who have a higher cieling and a greater chance to be impact players.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by 4ML:
I kind of agree. Didn't understand round 3 or round 4 picks on CBs who have started very few games in college. Just didn't make sense for our team. When talkin' about Buckner - Baalke talked about number of snaps and games played by him over his career at Oregon as a huge plus...and then goes on to draft guys who have hardly played more than a handful of games. Makes little sense.

Still don't think there is a clear draft strategy. I liked the first round picks and I liked couple of late round picks...but don't understand the strategy.

yeh this++. Baalke is a dumpster diver. That how he shows the world how good he is.

Nobody can figure out the CB overload when we are desperately trying to build a smashmouth d.

The mentality about ilb needs to be that there are 4-5 starters in every class and we have to go find them. happened last year. Will happen this year.

Plentry of guys available instead of redmond. we just didn't prioritize.

The tartt experiment will last about as long as the first time he gets trucked by a pro guard.

It's so funny how the guy that said we had too many non-impact players on our team last year wants us to draft a body just because it fills a need instead of drafting players who have a higher cieling and a greater chance to be impact players.

There is so much fail in that post I wouldn't even know where to start...so I won't.
I'm going to be "that guy" living in the past for a min, but Joshua Perry would have looked really good at the rookie mini camp.
Share 49ersWebzone