LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Inside Linebacker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
It still hurt when we passed on Scooby Wright in round 7!

He's not that good. What's the fixation?
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:

I always figured, had his first name been Fred no one would know of him!
Will be a target next year
Originally posted by English:

I would've drafted Velma. Cerebral player; can diagnose the play at the line. Wasn't drafted due to medical issues with her eyesight.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Will be a target next year

Agreed...have to assess Hodges this year now that he'll have a full off season next to Bowman and will be more used to the 3-4. He'll most likely end up being the 2-down TED.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

We already have a Scooby Wright on the team. Shane Skov.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
i understand best player available as a theory. But we really were soft on the inside last year. Sure healthy d-line will help that, but do we have anyone with potential at the ILB to step up this year. Please don't come at me with Wilhoite he isn't going to be doing any leaps and bounds. Does anyone have any hope for anyone on next years roster to improve that position. I certainly don't.

Last time I checked we have a guy named Bowman who led the league in tackles.
Zone got spoiled with Willis/Bowman. No team in the league has 2 all pro ILB
pretty sure if jaylon and jack were fully healthy they wouldve been at the top of the board. They probably felt there wasnt a good linebacker compatible with bowman so they roll the dice with what we have and look at next years bunch.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
i understand best player available as a theory. But we really were soft on the inside last year. Sure healthy d-line will help that, but do we have anyone with potential at the ILB to step up this year. Please don't come at me with Wilhoite he isn't going to be doing any leaps and bounds. Does anyone have any hope for anyone on next years roster to improve that position. I certainly don't.

Last time I checked we have a guy named Bowman who led the league in tackles.
Zone got spoiled with Willis/Bowman. No team in the league has 2 all pro ILB

We were spoiled and I honestly want to get back to that. Our defense from 2011 to 2014 was a wonder to behold. I wonder how much work Jaquiski Tartt will get at ILB. Particularly if we are up against pass heavy teams.
Could it be that with a solid dline we can mask a lot of our LB weaknesses?

Originally posted by socalniner:
Could it be that with a solid dline we can mask a lot of our LB weaknesses?

Its okay, after the Browns cut him in the preseason maybe the 49ers can pick him up to go on the practice squad.

NorCal guy with a cartoon character name. Great college player...and that is about it. Dude bombed terribly at the Combine and has a plethora of injury issues.

Basically a Michael Sam type where people are like "but he was really good in college, that must mean he'll be really good in the NFL."
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree our ILB group is thin. Not enough quality talent there. This wasn't a good draft for ILBs. Will just have to deal with it until next year.

In the meantime we just need Hodges, Wilhoite, or Skov to be able to handle duties in base defense. I think when we go Nickel and Dime we'll sub-in Tartt in a hybrid LB/S role. Bethea or Ward starts at safety with Reid.

what? How can you judge this draft for ilb? Last year was supposed to be a sucky year too but there were 4-5 rookie performers that would have been a lot better than wihoite/hodges/whoever.

Youknow, you have to take a chance sometimes. Please don't give fo a pass on this.

Why draft 4 more db's? come on just plain weird.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed...have to assess Hodges this year now that he'll have a full off season next to Bowman and will be more used to the 3-4. He'll most likely end up being the 2-down TED.

One thing I'm looking at is where is Bowman this year? Last year he was a really good player, that's undebatable I think, but he still didn't feel like the pre injured Bowman. Now 2 years removed, if he can get back to that level, the inside of the field automatically gets better just because of a healthier Bowman.

I remember when Willis has missed some games, before Bowman got hurt, you almost didn't even see the defense miss a beat and that was with Wilhoite starting next to him. The Cardinals game of 2013 come to mind as I write this.

If Bowman can get back to that level, then a whole new world of possibilities enter this defense's potential, young or not.
Share 49ersWebzone