LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 321 users in the forums

Inside Linebacker

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i understand best player available as a theory. But we really were soft on the inside last year. Sure healthy d-line will help that, but do we have anyone with potential at the ILB to step up this year. Please don't come at me with Wilhoite he isn't going to be doing any leaps and bounds. Does anyone have any hope for anyone on next years roster to improve that position. I certainly don't.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Baalke and Kelly must really like what they have at ILB with Hodges, Skov....... Wlhoite. I think they could possibly add another in free agency. But I think it's really Hodges job to lose. IMO.

If need be, there's always Curtis Lofton and Donald Butler they could sign. And even DeMeco Ryans.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Apr 30, 2016 at 11:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Baalke and Kelly must really like what they have at ILB with Hodges, Skov....... Wlhoite. I think they could possibly add another in free agency. But I think it's really Hodges job to lose. IMO.

If need be, there's always Curtis Lofton and Donald Butler they could sign. And even DeMeco Ryans.

I kind of was on the hype train for skov, but he looked slow and small at times in preseason. I wondering if that changes. When he has a head of steam I really like him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I kind of was on the hype train for skov, but he looked slow and small at times in preseason. I wondering if that changes. When he has a head of steam I really like him.

I think he seemed out of place in Mangini's defense, he seemed hesitant most of the time.
Agree our ILB group is thin. Not enough quality talent there. This wasn't a good draft for ILBs. Will just have to deal with it until next year.

In the meantime we just need Hodges, Wilhoite, or Skov to be able to handle duties in base defense. I think when we go Nickel and Dime we'll sub-in Tartt in a hybrid LB/S role. Bethea or Ward starts at safety with Reid.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
We just have to hope Gerald Hodges improves.
Drafted 3 corners, one with a torn ACL and another one who didn't play in 2015. Yet, it was a great idea to neglect ILB..... Hell, we could've traded that 3rd round pick to a team that was ready to unload a MLB.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Drafted 3 corners, one with a torn ACL and another one who didn't play in 2015. Yet, it was a great idea to neglect ILB..... Hell, we could've traded that 3rd round pick to a team that was ready to unload a MLB.

Who did you have in mind? And if they were thinking of offloading one I guess when roster cutdown time comes, he will be available.
Originally posted by English:
Who did you have in mind? And if they were thinking of offloading one I guess when roster cutdown time comes, he will be available.

If I recall correctly we got spikes that way right? Maybe we will get lucky.
no love for michle wilhoit??or my primo(cousin) shane skov.

Guys, like Bowman said, this defense is "linebacker-friendly" which is the Anti-Mangini scheme. This most likely means, Bowman and Hodges will play mostly straight up and more down hill. We're going to be in dime and nickel a lot (if you can't tell from the pickups). In addition, Tartt will be coming in to play the robber which means either Bowman or Hodges will be sub'd out. He's REALLY our 3rd ILB. Then we have depth in Skov and Wilhoite.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I was surprised the team did not pick a inside linebacker but as many has said. it was a turrible year for that spot. I hope hodges rises to the top and takes the job as i am not a fan of michael w that much. I have no worries now with the two corners you mentioned. they say the one will be ready for camp and the second one was investigated by the team and is fine. your last statement is speculation and conjecture since you do not know anyone looking to unload a middle linebacker. thought maybe we may grab a outside linebacker but we got two great ones plus eli will be good in my opinion and we got a couple of undrafted guys.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
no love for michle wilhoit??or my primo(cousin) shane skov.

not really! but he and hodges will compete and it will be a good battle
Unfortunately, we can't improve everything within a single draft. Given the number of needs we had pre-draft, one could only adapt one of these strategies:
a) fill almost every need with average talent
or
b) prioritize 2-3 positions in order to be sure that the need is filled as good as possible

We went with option b), i.e. drafted several o-linemen, picked Buckner for erasing any need at d-line and drafted several CBs late (have not seen a dire need here though).
Imho, option b) should be always the first choice anyway especially if one has to improve the trenches.
[ Edited by communist on May 1, 2016 at 6:39 AM ]
It still hurt when we passed on Scooby Wright in round 7!
Share 49ersWebzone