LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 313 users in the forums

49ers Depth Chart Tracker 2016-17

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My breakdown of the current group:

D-Line
My expectation is that Dorsey will start on the PUP list because they'll want to be sure he's healthy enough to avoid any re-injury. I see us rolling with Williams and Purcell in the meantime. I like the 4-man DE rotation with Armstead, Buckner, Dial, and Blair -- that's an incredibly balanced and ferocious group.

Linebackers
At ILB, we know what we have in Wilhoite, but Hodges we only saw flashes in limited time. He's the guy to watch, and I think he may win that job next to Bowman. At OLB, we didn't add much of anything. We're clearly banking on development and/or one of the UDFAs making an unexpected impact. Carradine is the wild card -- if he wants to be more than a role player, he's going to have to prove himself in the pre-season at OLB. It sure would be nice to have him realize some of the potential he had as a pass-rushing prospect when he was coming out. If not, we have to hope the previously raw Eli Harold has made a phenomenal leap. The aging Ahmad Brooks is without question just a rotational player now at this point in his career.

Secondary
In the secondary, how much do we like Tartt? Do we trade Bethea and roll with Reid/Tartt/Ward/McCray? I thought about it, and it could be wise NOT to trade him. He can play both safety spots, and we all know about Reid's injury history. At CB, it's anyone's guess who wins those jobs.

Wide Receiver
WR is a mess, no proven players outside of Torrey Smith. Out of 11 players competing for those last 4 or 5 WR spots, the team figures there's gotta be at least one or two that shine and can stick around for awhile. More players, more chance for hitting for success, right? I hope. I'm pulling for a 6-WR group of Smith-Smelter-Patton-Rogers-Ellington-Treggs/Dres Anderson

O-Line
Along the OL, I think Browns' experience will win him the RT job. I wish we had better depth at center, but it is what it is. Most expect Beadles and Garnett to be day one starters, but we'll see what Tiller has to say about that. Really like the kid. And who knows what kind of development our other prospects Thomas/Silberman might show.

Tight End
At TE, If Vance McDropAll doesn't improve his catching, Blake Bell could leapfrog him quickly. Bruce Miller is the wild-card in this group. He would be a very valuable asset as a utility player for us. He may not have Vance's size, but he's just as fast, and a better receiver who also provides STs value.

Running Back
At RB, my hope for how it'll shake out is Hyde-Harris-Hayne-Taylor. I feel bad because I really like Draughn, but he's a guy they know they'll probably be able to keep on speed-dial. Draughn gets the 3rd RB spot though if Hayne still isn't improve enough. I think Davis didn't show enough last year to worry much about cutting him and hoping to place him on the PS if eligible. We love banking on potential, and Hayne and Taylor have a lot of it. Harris is a fantastic complementary runner with return ability as well. His powerful compact frame with speed and agility in the open field make him a great fit for Kelly's scheme.

Special Teams
On special teams, I hope Pinion can develop some consistency in the punting game. As far as kickers, I actually really like Corey Acosta. Barring an awful pre-season by Dawson, Acosta won't win the job, but perhaps he's still around next year if PD retires. Would be tough to lose a good, young prospective kicker, because kicker-needy teams in the pre-season always have their peepers out looking for someone like Acosta.
Great post OTC! Can't disagree with anything...which is odd! LOL! One of the major take aways for me is that the DL an OL should be greatly improved this year, particularly the DL. So when talking about rebuilding the general concensus is to build the lines first and then go for elite skill players. They have now done first step and now they can add to Hyde and T Smith next year. Hope they can find a QB this year, but I'm not hopeful.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Great post OTC! Can't disagree with anything...which is odd! LOL! One of the major take aways for me is that the DL an OL should be greatly improved this year, particularly the DL. So when talking about rebuilding the general concensus is to build the lines first and then go for elite skill players. They have now done first step and now they can add to Hyde and T Smith next year. Hope they can find a QB this year, but I'm not hopeful.

Thank you, friend. After we all settle down, exactly, we start to realize the lines need to be a priority. I like what we're doing to shore up the middle. I like Beadles in the ZBS, but I also really like Tiller. Adding Garnett provides extremely talented competition so we can feel more comfortable that the winner will be the one who best helps us win game.

It's easy for any of us to complain because like anyone else, I want to see playmakers added. I think last year's group was so bad, it's hard for many of us to look back and find much positive, but as hard as it is, there was SOME positives to take from last season. Some players showed they are going to be valuable for us going forward.

I actually think we may have something in this RB group. I am a big fan of DuJuan Harris. A healthy Hyde + Harris is a lethal combo. The shifty Taylor added to the mix is even better. We know what we have in Draughn. Mike Davis and Hayne need to prove themselves, but their development could turn a formerly weakened position into a one of strength.

Position by position, this is how I see us:

QB: Questionable - Average. Has potential to be above average if the system fits CK/Gabbert.

RB: Strength - Above average. A healthy Hyde is probably a top 10 NFL RB. We now have depth at the position.

WR: Questionable - Average. Has the potential to be above average, lots of players competing. Someone's gotta shine, right?

TE: Solid - Average. Has potential to be above average if Celek's healthy, Bell develops, and McDonald stops the drops. Lots of "ifs".

OL: Solid - Average. We potentially added two starters at OG. But is a healthy Kilgore going to be better at C? OT Brown is unproven.

DL: Strength - Above average. This group has the potential to be elite with a healthy Ian Williams in the middle.

OLB: Questionable - Average. Lynch is a star, but he can't do it himself. Group's success hinges on other players development.

ILB: Solid - Above average. Bowman is a star. Hodges/Wilhoite are question marks.

CB: Solid - Average. A lot of untapped potential here and we just added more competition. We'll see who steps up.

S: Strength - Above average. Reid and Bethea are both Pro Bowl talents. Tartt & Ward are a promising youngsters.

ST: Strength - Above average. Dawson is one the best in the league and Pinion, though inconsistent, was fine as a rook.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Thank you, friend. After we all settle down, exactly, we start to realize the lines need to be a priority. I like what we're doing to shore up the middle. I like Beadles in the ZBS, but I also really like Tiller. Adding Garnett provides extremely talented competition so we can feel more comfortable that the winner will be the one who best helps us win game.

It's easy for any of us to complain because like anyone else, I want to see playmakers added. I think last year's group was so bad, it's hard for many of us to look back and find much positive, but as hard as it is, there was SOME positives to take from last season. Some players showed they are going to be valuable for us going forward.

I actually think we may have something in this RB group. I am a big fan of DuJuan Harris. A healthy Hyde + Harris is a lethal combo. The shifty Taylor added to the mix is even better. We know what we have in Draughn. Mike Davis and Hayne need to prove themselves, but their development could turn a formerly weakened position into a one of strength.

QB: Questionable - Average. Has potential to be above average if the system fits CK/Gabbert.

RB: Strength - Above average. A healthy Hyde is probably a top 10 NFL RB. We now have depth at the position.

WR: Questionable - Average. Has the potential to be above average, lots of players competing. Someone's gotta shine, right?

TE: Solid - Average. Has potential to be above average if Celek's healthy, Bell develops, and McDonald stops the drops. Lots of "ifs".

OL: Solid - Average. We potentially added two starters at OG. But is a healthy Kilgore going to be better at C? OT Brown is unproven.

DL: Strength - Above average. This group has the potential to be elite with a healthy Ian Williams in the middle.

OLB: Questionable - Average. Lynch is a star, but he can't do it himself. Group's success hinges on other players development.

ILB: Solid - Above average. Bowman is a star. Hodges/Wilhoite are question marks.

CB: Solid - Average. A lot of untapped potential here and we just added more competition. We'll see who steps up.

S: Strength - Above average. Reid and Bethea are both Pro Bowl talents. Tartt & Ward are a promising youngsters.

ST: Strength - Above average. Dawson is one the best in the league and Pinion, though inconsistent, was fine as a rook.

Agree with these evaluations, with some trepidation based on not knowing how the coaches will help them. But having a strong DL with a solid DB makes an iffy OLB situation less scary. Same with the WRs--having strong RBs and a solid OL.

So the big questions are--coaching and QB. A couple of mocks for 2017 have the niners taking a QB...Walter predicting the niners drafting #1. A bit early for that kind of thing but it does express my concerns.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree with these evaluations, with some trepidation based on not knowing how the coaches will help them. But having a strong DL with a solid DB makes an iffy OLB situation less scary. Same with the WRs--having strong RBs and a solid OL.

So the big questions are--coaching and QB. A couple of mocks for 2017 have the niners taking a QB...Walter predicting the niners drafting #1. A bit early for that kind of thing but it does express my concerns.

The hope here is that a ferocious DL will make the job easier for our pass-rushers to get through.
Great DLs will make average secondaries seem All-World. Seems that Baalke was stacking DL and DB to give us the best depth chart at those positions via camp battles and competition. I surmise he will fill in the ILB/OLB gaps next offseason.
Updated to include recent cuts.

Offensive Personnel: (2015 Snap Count) --- 43
QB: Blaine Gabbert (509); Colin Kaepernick (502), Jeff Driskel (0) & Thad Lewis (0)
Points: Kaepernick could end up being #1 or cut and I'm not joking. This is the year we keep 3 QB's on the 53 IMHO. But make no bones about it, Gabbert, Driskel and Lewis are going to give CK a run for his money.

RB1: Carlos Hyde (292); Mike Davis (126) & Shaun Draughn (253)
RB2: DuJuan Harris (61); Kelvin Taylor (0) & Jarryd Hayne (63)
Points: I love the depth here. I can not wait to watch Hyde+Davis and Harris+Draughn+Taylor behind a competent OL and scheme. Every one of these guys, even Hayne, could flash quite a bit now and show case their true skill sets. I'm really excited about this depth and versatility (it was the one blessing from our injuries last year).

MTE: Vance McDonald (468); Bruce Miller (143) & Busta Anderson (0)
TE: Garrett Celek (399) & Blake Bell (352); & Jamie Childers (0)
Points: McDonald is going to love being the move-TE (blocking and catching out of the backfield). The only question is, how is Kelly going to utilize both Celek and Bell and don't forget about Busta & Miller? I think they could make nice MTE's as well. This is going to make for some insane competition and depth and maybe some surprises on cut-day.

X WR: Torrey Smith (772); Jerome Simpson (85) & Bryce Treggs (0)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington (143); Aaron Burbridge (0), DeAndrew White (30) & DiAndre Campbell (0)
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter (0); Quinton Patton (424), Dres Anderson (0), Eric Rogers (0) & Devon Cajuste (0)
Points: While very raw and inexperienced, the one thing that stands out is how well their skill sets match the three WR positions from speed and deep threat ability to shifty, quick, allusive, versatile and willing to make the tough catches in traffic and big-bodied RZ threats and possession-type WR's. Outside of Smith, it's anyone's game.

LOT: Joe Staley (1,011); Fahn Cooper (0) & Norman Price (0)
LG: Zane Beadles (1,058); Andrew Tiller (614) & Blake Muir (0)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267); Ian Silberman (0)
RG: Joshua Garnett (0); Erik Pears (1,011), Brandon Thomas (0) & Marcus Martin (819)
ROT: Trenton Brown (186); John Theus (0) & Colin Kelly (0)
Points: What more needs to be said other than, "Anthony Davis who? And Devey is already cut. Pears is next." There should be some great competition though between Beadles/Tiller and Garnett/Thomas. We should end up with at least one, if not two quality swing T's who can also play G.

Defensive Personnel: --- 44
RDE: DeForest Bucker (0); Ronald Blair (0), Alex Balducci (0) & Tony Jerod Eddie (290)
NT: Quinton Dial (640); Mike Purcell (288), Darren Lake (0) & Garrison Smith (0) (Ian Williams - 659)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375); Kaleb Ramsey (0) & Demetrius Cherry (0) (Glenn Dorsey - 45)
Points: Two guys Baalke specifically noted about making big leaps thus far is Ramsey and Purcell. And then he went and added Buckner and Blair and more via the UDFA pool. The upside and depth here could be off the charts and have a tremendous ripple effect on everyone else (i.e. Bowman is very happy).

ELEPHANT: Tank Carradine (223)
WILL: Eli Harold (337); Marcus Rush (0), Ray-Ray Armstrong (0) & Kevin Anderson (0)
TED: Gerald Hodges (366); Michael Wilhoite (616)
MIKE: Navarro Bowman (1,098); Shayne Skov (8) & Nick Bellore (7)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (793); Ahmad Brooks (741), Corey Lemonier (271), Jason Fanaika & Lenny Jones (0)
ROBBER: Jaquiski Tartt (719)
Points: Now here are some battles. Can Rush (year of development/added strength/size), Anderson, Fanaika or Jones push Brooks off the roster? And how much has Harold and Carradine leaped this year? Who's in base and who's in on nickel/dime? I anticipate Hodges will be the 2-down TED with Tartt as the nickel/dime defender. But how much has Skov grown now?

RCB: Dontae Johnson (366); Rashard Robinson (0) & Marcus Cromartie (122)
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser (79); Will Redmond (0), Prince Charles Iworah (0) & Kyle Sebetic (0)
LCB: Tramaine Brock (1,064); Kenneth Acker (807) & Chris Davis (17)
FS: Eric Reid (1,113); L.J. McCray (0) & Jered Bell (0)
SS: Jimmie Ward (730); Antoine Bethea (440)
Points: Like with the WR group, raw and inexperienced but very nice fits for the specific positions based on skill sets. Robinson could throw a monkey wrench into this whole group. If he shines early, we may see two long starting CB's outside in Johnson and Robinson. If not, he may need a year to develop behind Johnson. On the other side, you've got 2 nice zone coverage CB's in Brock and Acker and then we'll see a heated battle inside at the slot with Reaser vs. Redmond. He too, may need a year of development. I'm loving the idea of moving Ward back to SS to pair with Reid and Bethea and McCray (ST ace) should be back 100% at some point.

Special Teams: --- 4
LS: Kyle Nelson (140)
PK: Phil Dawson (55); John Lunsford (0)
P: Bradley Pinion (197)
Points: Will another "big leg" beat out an older veteran? Why not…it's a rebuild and youth movement.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2016 at 12:09 PM ]
Also updated to include Southern Miss OT Norman Price. Might kick into guard, we'll leave him at OT for the moment. 6-4 1/2 304, 5.10 at pro day with 31 reps on the bench, so there's obviously some strength and athleticism.
Also updated to include Southern Miss OT Norman Price. Might kick into guard, we'll leave him at OT for the moment. 6-4 1/2 304, 5.10 at pro day with 31 reps on the bench, so there's obviously some strength and athleticism.

Just when I thought we had our 90...91. LOL

Originally posted by NCommand:

QB: Blaine Gabbert (509); Colin Kaepernick (502), Jeff Driskel (0) & Thad Lewis (0)
Points: Kaepernick could end up being #1 or cut and I'm not joking. This is the year we keep 3 QB's on the 53 IMHO. But make no bones about it, Gabbert, Driskel and Lewis are going to give CK a run for his money.

Points: I love the depth here. I can not wait to watch Hyde+Davis and Harris+Draughn+Taylor behind a competent OL and scheme. Every one of these guys, even Hayne, could flash quite a bit now and show case their true skill sets. I'm really excited about this depth and versatility (it was the one blessing from our injuries last year).

MTE: Vance McDonald (468); Bruce Miller (143) & Busta Anderson (0)
TE: Garrett Celek (399) & Blake Bell (352); & Jamie Childers (0)
Points: McDonald is going to love being the move-TE (blocking and catching out of the backfield). The only question is, how is Kelly going to utilize both Celek and Bell and don't forget about Busta & Miller? I think they could make nice MTE's as well. This is going to make for some insane competition and depth and maybe some surprises on cut-day.

X WR: Torrey Smith (772); Jerome Simpson (85) & Bryce Treggs (0)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington (143); Aaron Burbridge (0), DeAndrew White (30) & DiAndre Campbell (0)
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter (0); Quinton Patton (424), Dres Anderson (0), Eric Rogers (0) & Devon Cajuste (0)
Points: While very raw and inexperienced, the one thing that stands out is how well their skill sets match the three WR positions from speed and deep threat ability to shifty, quick, allusive, versatile and willing to make the tough catches in traffic and big-bodied RZ threats and possession-type WR's. Outside of Smith, it's anyone's game.

LOT: Joe Staley (1,011); Fahn Cooper (0) & Norman Price (0)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267); Ian Silberman (0)
RG: Joshua Garnett (0); Erik Pears (1,011), Brandon Thomas (0) & Marcus Martin (819)
ROT: Trenton Brown (186); John Theus (0) & Colin Kelly (0)
Points: What more needs to be said other than, "Anthony Davis who? And Devey is already cut. Pears is next." There should be some great competition though between Beadles/Tiller and Garnett/Thomas. We should end up with at least one, if not two quality swing T's who can also play G.

RDE: DeForest Bucker (0); Ronald Blair (0), Alex Balducci (0) & Tony Jerod Eddie (290)
NT: Quinton Dial (640); Mike Purcell (288), Darren Lake (0) & Garrison Smith (0) (Ian Williams - 659)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375); Kaleb Ramsey (0) & Demetrius Cherry (0) (Glenn Dorsey - 45)
Points: Two guys Baalke specifically noted about making big leaps thus far is Ramsey and Purcell. And then he went and added Buckner and Blair and more via the UDFA pool. The upside and depth here could be off the charts and have a tremendous ripple effect on everyone else (i.e. Bowman is very happy).

WILL: Eli Harold (337); Marcus Rush (0), Ray-Ray Armstrong (0) & Kevin Anderson (0)
MIKE: Navarro Bowman (1,098); Shayne Skov (8) & Nick Bellore (7)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (793); Ahmad Brooks (741), Corey Lemonier (271), Jason Fanaika & Lenny Jones (0)
Points: Now here are some battles. Can Rush (year of development/added strength/size), Anderson, Fanaika or Jones push Brooks off the roster? And how much has Harold and Carradine leaped this year? Who's in base and who's in on nickel/dime? I anticipate Hodges will be the 2-down TED with Tartt as the nickel/dime defender. But how much has Skov grown now?

SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser (79); Will Redmond (0), Prince Charles Iworah (0) & Kyle Sebetic (0)
LCB: Tramaine Brock (1,064); Kenneth Acker (807) & Chris Davis (17)
FS: Eric Reid (1,113); L.J. McCray (0) & Jered Bell (0)
Points: Like with the WR group, raw and inexperienced but very nice fits for the specific positions based on skill sets. Robinson could throw a monkey wrench into this whole group. If he shines early, we may see two long starting CB's outside in Johnson and Robinson. If not, he may need a year to develop behind Johnson. On the other side, you've got 2 nice zone coverage CB's in Brock and Acker and then we'll see a heated battle inside at the slot with Reaser vs. Redmond. He too, may need a year of development. I'm loving the idea of moving Ward back to SS to pair with Reid and Bethea and McCray (ST ace) should be back 100% at some point.

Special Teams: --- 4
PK: Phil Dawson (55); John Lunsford (0)
Points: Will another "big leg" beat out an older veteran? Why not…it's a rebuild and youth movement.

Nice breakdown, disagree on a few things:

- There's no way we cut Kap for Lewis. We are already paying Kap 12 mill no matter what and Lewis is on a one year deal. Kap would have to be REALLY bad and I don't see it happening, but who knows..

-I see Cajuste as a MTE/Slot guy who could push Miller or someone else off the roster. At this point it is really hard seeing Miller making the team in my mind.

-At this stage I see Bowman being the 2 down LB and Hodges in the Nickel with Tartt.

Other than that looks good! A lot of position groups with good competition, the roster should be in much better shape this year.
Devey cut !

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 6, 2016 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by KajunNiner:
Originally posted by MFWIC:
You forget ST.... Who going in for PR and KR ?

Probably Ellington

KR with the rule changes make this a nonsense position. You can put in Joan from accounting there. PR can't go back to Ellington surely. No spark there from him after three years.
The hope here is that a ferocious DL will make the job easier for our pass-rushers to get through.

This is why I hoped for a Buckner pick. He seemed th most ready DL who could come in and command a double team, opening up lanes for the OLBs and others.
stealing Ncommand's work here.... but this is who I'd want on our roster... not sure if it adds to 53..but you get the idea.

QB: Blaine Gabbert (509); Colin Kaepernick (502), Jeff Driskel (0)

I want Hayne to make it no matter what. His combination of Size, Speed, and vision is something I want to see more on the field....backing up Hyde. Big 1-2 punch. So either Mike Davis (who I liked initially) or Harris out. Maybe Taylor on the practice squad. Shaun played his ass off last year. I'm curious if they give him the benefit of the doubt.

MTE: Vance McDonald (468); Bruce Miller (143)
TE: Garrett Celek (399)

I don't really believe in Bell....would like to see Devon Cajuste to replaced him..if possible. Miller is a football player. Can catch, and has deceptive speed. I'm not sure if he could block Dlinemen at the edges. (Delaine Walker found a way at his height, curious about Miller)

X WR: Torrey Smith (772); DeAndrew White (30)
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington (143); Aaron Burbridge (0),
Z WR: DeAndre Smelter (0), Eric Rogers

Think it might be time to move on from Patton. Besides, he STILL loses his cool and drives us back with penalties. Would love to see what White can do in Kelly's offense. I felt we were wasting his talents forcing him to KR last year. Leave that to Hayne. Also, if Cajuice can't make it at TE...then I hope we keep him at WR...with him battling it out with Rogers.

LOT: Joe Staley (1,011); Fahn Cooper (0)
C: Daniel Kilgore (267);
RG: Joshua Garnett (0); Brandon Thomas (0)
ROT: Trenton Brown (186); John Theus (0)

GET MARTIN AND PEARS OUT! that is all. Thankx.

RDE: DeForest Bucker (0); Ronald Blair (0)
NT: Quinton Dial (640); Mike Purcell (288) (Ian Williams - 659)
LDE: Arik Armstead (375); Kaleb Ramsey (0) (Glenn Dorsey - 45)

WILL: Eli Harold (337);
MIKE: Navarro Bowman (1,098);
SAM: Aaron Lynch (793); Ahmad Brooks (741), Corey Lemonier (271)

SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser (79); Will Redmond (0)
LCB: Tramaine Brock (1,064); Kenneth Acker (807)
FS: Eric Reid (1,113); L.J. McCray

Maybe move McCray to ILB if possible?...to keep his special team contributions.

Special Teams: --- 3
PK: Phil Dawson (55)

Dammit, I'm counting 59 Players.
Share 49ersWebzone