There are 198 users in the forums

49ers Depth Chart Tracker 2016-17

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by KaprGabIsFineJustWin:
I like this idea. If someone can platoon QBs successfully is it not Chip Kelly?

I go back to the DeBerg / Montana QB controversy (yes young man there was one) and I cannot recall a worse starting O Lineman than Devey. Looney would have been better but I don't think he is starting material.

Martin, Devey and Pears were awful. Baalke got too cute thinking M. Martin and B. Thomas would be able to be plugged in for Iupati and Boone. The plan was a disaster. But the Garrett pick tells me he gets it. Then two 5th round tackles to compete against Pears. All good.

Seems like players are more focused under Kelly / new staff and with much more enthusiasm as well... as if they believe they can win games instead of hoping they can win games (under Tomsula).

That and there is legit competition now too.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I go back to the DeBerg / Montana QB controversy (yes young man there was one) and I cannot recall a worse starting O Lineman than Devey. Looney would have been better but I don't think he is starting material.

Martin, Devey and Pears were awful. Baalke got too cute thinking M. Martin and B. Thomas would be able to be plugged in for Iupati and Boone. The plan was a disaster. But the Garrett pick tells me he gets it. Then two 5th round tackles to compete against Pears. All good.

Seems like players are more focused under Kelly / new staff and with much more enthusiasm as well... as if they believe they can win games instead of hoping they can win games (under Tomsula).
NO ONE is going to platoon quarterbacks. any coach who does that should be fired on the spot. of all of the dumb ideas. platooning and rotating quarterbacks is at the top of the list in my opinion
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As much as it seems like Gabbert is a near-lock, the more Kaepernick has a chance to practice, the more chance he has to potentially close the gap between him and Gabbert. Kelly seems determined to give them each a 100% fair chance to win the gig in the pre-season/TC. Those are about 2 months away. That's a lot of time for CK to readjust.

I like the competition right now, because I think it forces the players to elevate their efforts in every way. CK has to study even more. Train fundamentals and technique more. Gabbert has to continue working his footwork to improve accuracy.

I hope we're in for a great fight because I want to go into the season feeling good about QB again.

Agree. This would be nice for sure
Originally posted by cciowa:

NO ONE is going to platoon quarterbacks. any coach who does that should be fired on the spot. of all of the dumb ideas. platooning and rotating quarterbacks is at the top of the list in my opinion

Agree, platooining is an awful idea. Betcwecsee both of them play this year though.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran

we dont know how good thomas is or isnt, he didnt play and far as we know he was poorly evaluated by the previous coaching staff just as brown was.
Originally posted by FaTaL:

we dont know how good thomas is or isnt, he didnt play and far as we know he was poorly evaluated by the previous coaching staff just as brown was.

Any and all evaluations or player assessments made by, or under, Dumsula are suspect and need further review the new staff.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fierce competition between AA, Buckner and some walk on for 3rd string DL.

Interesting. Official depth chart out and they have DeFo backing up AA at LDE and Blair 3rd backing up DeFo.

Tartt behind Bathea: that should change soon.

Eli Harold at starting OLB.
ILB Rayray/Hodges. Wilhoite is essentially #3. He should have been cut as we could have used more speed and intensity from someone on special teams.

Cromartie is FS backup.

Some big changes and position moves from last year.
  • thl408

Surprises to me are Purcell at NT. Thought the DEs would be AA/DeFo with Dial at NT. Also, Harold getting the nod over Tank. I'm sure there will be a rotation, but I thought Tank outplayed Harold.
Chris Davis is the starting KR, with Kerley #2. Interesting.

Kerley is the only listed PR.

I'd expect Dorsey to supplant Purcell once he's fully healthy.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM ]

Originally posted by thl408:
Also, Harold getting the nod over Tank. I'm sure there will be a rotation, but I thought Tank outplayed Harold.

They must feel Harold plays the run better, while Tank is better in passing downs. Therefore Harold as the starter in 1st/2nd base downs that are more likely to be 50/50 run/pass.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Interesting. Official depth chart out and they have DeFo backing up AA at LDE and Blair 3rd backing up DeFo.

Tartt behind Bathea: that should change soon.

Eli Harold at starting OLB.
ILB Rayray/Hodges. Wilhoite is essentially #3. He should have been cut as we could have used more speed and intensity from someone on special teams.

Cromartie is FS backup.

Some big changes and position moves from last year.

I want to see DeFo and AA together on the field.
I think all the DL players will see a lot of time. Starting lineup is really just 1st & 10 lineup. I don't think Dorsey is fully healthy, so they're starting Purcell.
And why would they release an 'unofficial' depth chart? Will there be an 'official' depth chart?
  • thl408
Originally posted by captveg:
They must feel Harold plays the run better, while Tank is better in passing downs. Therefore Harold as the starter in 1st/2nd base downs that are more likely to be 50/50 run/pass.

That's a strong possibility. Also, Eli might be smoother dropping into coverage. I'm not sure about that, but I do see Tank looking clunky dropping back. Tank might be part of the nickel package, saving his energy for pass rushing.
Share 49ersWebzone