LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

What grade would you give this draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What grade would you give this draft?

B.

An A grade would've been trading more lower picks for another second or something of that nature.
C
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I give it a b overall. No flash but we did get better. Controlling the line of scrimmage will produce more wins. And we accomplished that
Solid B. We finally fixed be trenches. This is where the games are won and lost. Hopefully next year's draft we can start going heavy on skilled positions. I doubt though that this draft class can make a immediate impact. I still see us finishing with 6 wins or less. My guess they will start making a major impact next year and on.
B
...in respect to knowing Baalke knows more than all of us.

Overall building of the lines is the best case for a team with so many needs. Its amazing though after drafting 23 total pllayers in '14 and '15, that we wouldnt have much starpower in the lockerroom.

This weekend, i think the 49ers have gotten some legitimate leadership to build around and that cant really be measured today.

I wanted a high end type receiver prospect like Carroo, or even lesser Pharoh Cooper but hopefully the board falling the way it did tells us that Smelter, Ellington, Rogers, and Anderson could be developed. Oh well but dont see the type of guy that is feared by the other team that i covet.

Many top rbs to pair with Hyde but we didnt address it with the talent that was right in front of us, but hey maybe these big uglies up front will open holes for Dujuan Harris the same way they do or Hyde. Yuck

I love building the comp in the cb room and talked about it before Baalke did. Its a great thing. Redmond looks like a baller who isnt satified either. Looks like hes a hungry young man. Talented.

Im starting to believe in Kelly that he has some scheme-ability, but the trenches improvement will help if Kelly has trouble with the big bad NFC West.

B
B

I am not too happy with the overkill in the secondary, however it might be a stamp in their generic makeup. How they think their defense will be able to handle the offenses of the NFL

No LB in the draft or in Free Agency, I think they are happy with the Hybrids or converted LB (Tart, Carradine, Hodges)

No RB besides Taylor in the draft is kind of worrisome which make me think they got a few on mind

Overall a B grade
  • thl408
B

I'm puzzled by the actual pick of Redmond because of the injury, but mostly because he's only had 20 starts. That 3 CBs were taken tells me they don't like what they have in DJ/Acker/Reaser. In the case of Acker/Reaser, I didn't see anything that made me think they are locks to play CB in JoN's scheme. DJ, I like as a man coverage CB. Ward is another CB "lost" because he may move to safety. In evaluating the CBs on the roster, it's obvious Chip//JoN/Baalke weren't satisfied.

Buckner/Garnett fill needs and are considered good prospects so no qualms there. I'm fine with giving up a 4th and a 6th to secure Garnett. Day 1 was an A+ for me.

The rest of the lower round picks being mainly DE and OTs shows getting back to basics and shoring up the trenches. Never a problem with that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They already have this thread in the draft forum.
  • eman
  • Veteran
....but ... at a time when he needs to hit atleast 4 starters and 2 impact players.. and we have tons of mediocricity at several positions and need some stiff competition (i can think of potential upgrades/future considerations could be had at Center, RG, TE, OLB, MLB).. Baalke goes out and gets 3 CB's and 2 backup OT's?????? I dont ever see teams teams drafting this many players from one position... then if you think that just 2 years ago, we invested heavily in the position with Jimmie Ward, Keith Reaser, Kenneth Acker and Dontae Johnson..

so fans.. hear me... in 2 years, we have had Ward, Reaser, Acker, Johnson, Redmond, Robinson and Prince.. that is 7 CB's picked!!! If a GM and scout duty is to evaluate talent, they should not draft more than few for the position. But when you are drafting 7 players to hopefully fill 2 spots, then it tells me you are not relying on your talent evaluations, but hoping that atleast 2/7 will turn out ok and you save your behind, while we neglect to upgrade other positions. If the argument is that well, there was no other holes to fill, then trade those picks for following years draft, so we can have boatloads of 4th/5th rounders which we could use to trade up and grab impact players...

I am really irritated and disappointed! really!. no way should a GM be given a pass when he pulls such crap...

baalke's first failed NFL experiment is draft as many ACL injuries and see if he hits on one and looks like a genious

his next failed experiment > draft as many players in one position that hopefull one of them will make you look brilliant.
B. Got day 1 starters who could be pro bowlers in a few years in both lines(Buckner and Garnett), a solid RB(Taylor), potential #2 receiver(Burbridge) and an immature potential #1 corner(Robinson). However I hate the Redmond pick because we got a nickel CB(we already have Ward), he's coming off an ACL and I don't think he is talented enough to be a full time starter. I also don't like Iwoah.

b-. no lb el stupido three more corners not what this team needs right now they need pass rush. didnt get much besides deforest. acl corner pretty lame concept. if baalke leaves next year im not crying. again didnt draft bigs we need bigs
I gave it an A. Honestly, we really don't know what we got in some of these offensive guys. I think chip is an excellent offensive mind. That can probably squeeze more than what most of us expect.

We had a horrible defense with little talent. We need some ballers and I'm glad we are adding to it. Hopefully,we get a star or 2 with some good role player.
grade C as of today

Too many head scratcher picks right after solid picks. Also, how many CB's does this team need? Ignored needs at ILB and WR. Hope this is the last time Baalke gets to run a draft.
Just like any media outlet everyone needs to wait N see before you can really grade any team. Play some pro ball before you start saying this team got this N this team got that.
Share 49ersWebzone