LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

The 49ers 2016 UDFA signings thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Apparently Balducci is playing center, wonder if his transition to OL will be successful

Interesting. From NT to C. We need all the competition we can get at C. I'm not expecting him to come in and win a backup spot year one, but you never know. Just want us to have a legitimate option behind Kilgore, assuming Kilgore returns to his 2014 level he was at before injury.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Apparently Balducci is playing center, wonder if his transition to OL will be successful

Interesting. From NT to C. We need all the competition we can get at C. I'm not expecting him to come in and win a backup spot year one, but you never know. Just want us to have a legitimate option behind Kilgore, assuming Kilgore returns to his 2014 level he was at before injury.

Amen to this!
If he can win the starting job at OC, then he could spell Ian or Purcell or Dial at NT...really get our money's worth out of him.

I seriously doubt he makes the final 53 nor a spot on the PS.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
If he can win the starting job at OC, then he could spell Ian or Purcell or Dial at NT...really get our money's worth out of him.

Kilgore is the starting center, deal with it and move on. Not sure why you have such an axe to grind with the guy who looked like one of the best OL the 49ers had in 2014.

Balducci likely doesn't even make the roster, an undrafted guy transitioning from defense to offense has practice squad all over it. He certainly wouldn't be playing both offense and defense, this isn't Necessary Roughness, the 49ers aren't the Texas State Fighting Armadillos and Scott Bakula isn't showing up to save the day. If you're transitioning a guy to OL, he's going to be playing OL, you're not going to have him bounce back and forth to further confuse the heck out of them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 18, 2016 at 7:29 AM ]
Phoenix...tongue in cheek, plus I haven't even seen Balducci play. About Kilgore tho, yes he has been injured, and yes he is world's better than Martin. But did you think kIlgore played well when he got in during 2015? Hopefully that was due to either injury or not being fully re-habbed, but it seemed like his caliber of play fell off. With Staley, Garnett, OC, Beadles/ Brown, OC looks to be the weakest link. One thing for sure. When healthy and he is able to play, I would take Kilgore over Martin 1000 times out of 1000. Certainly we need way better backup at OC, and if Kilgore has not fully re-habbed, then we need another starter. If Balducci can do that, great....but it would be hard to imagine it happening this yr.

As for Balducci, I have no idea if he can even remotely play OC. I have posted before that if Kilgore is not heathy, then either Tiller, Garnett or Beadles is going to have to try snapping. Other than that, maybe a cut from an established team who let's go a starter with another yr in the tank. I had really wanted Mack, but that was foolish on a team 100:1 as a bet going to SB. Next yr, a top flite OC would be essential. And as for 2014, Kilgore played well. Last yr, I assume it was the injury. But still, without him we ended up with Martin, and he was awful.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Amen to this!

We're typically pretty good at getting players who are well-suited to play another position. And getting them acclimated. Bruce Miller was the only one to start games in year one. Balducci is probably a guy to pay more attention to in 2017. This year, the guy I'm interested in seeing play is Ian Silberman. It seems like a long shot, but maybe he can outperform Marcus Martin. Either that, or Martin gets it together, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 18, 2016 at 8:11 AM ]
Phoenix...tongue in cheek, plus I haven't even seen Balducci play. About Kilgore tho, yes he has been injured, and yes he is world's better than Martin. But did you think kIlgore played well when he got in during 2015? Hopefully that was due to either injury or not being fully re-habbed, but it seemed like his caliber of play fell off. With Staley, Garnett, OC, Beadles/ Brown, OC looks to be the weakest link. One thing for sure. When healthy and he is able to play, I would take Kilgore over Martin 1000 times out of 1000. Certainly we need way better backup at OC, and if Kilgore has not fully re-habbed, then we need another starter. If Balducci can do that, great....but it would be hard to imagine it happening this yr.

As for Balducci, I have no idea if he can even remotely play OC. I have posted before that if Kilgore is not heathy, then either Tiller, Garnett or Beadles is going to have to try snapping. Other than that, maybe a cut from an established team who let's go a starter with another yr in the tank. I had really wanted Mack, but that was foolish on a team 100:1 as a bet going to SB. Next yr, a top flite OC would be essential. And as for 2014, Kilgore played well. Last yr, I assume it was the injury. But still, without him we ended up with Martin, and he was awful.

Not sure why you'd even count 2015 lol? Kilgore missed most of the year, had to learn a new system, and have new players on the OL (plus a new QB). When he was healthy and had some one what of continuity between coaching and players he was more than fine.
Alright, since both Phoenix and NY85 have gigged me about it, I went back and researched it.

Oct 19th, 2014. Kilgore who had taken over for Goodwin at OC broke his L fibula . Surgical fix was a plate + 13 screws. Healed but poorly and progress was insufficient.

June 14, 2015. 2nd surgery to take out old plate and screws, and replace with new ones. Also did bone graft from hip which was placed in fibular break where "gunk" had accumulated and was debrided prior to bone graft.

At surgery, more gunk or debris was noted in ankle, ( assume loose fibrocartiage) and that was removed surgically.

Summary: Oct '14 surgery of broken fibula with screws and plates needed revision for failure to heal in June '15. In addition to changing out plate and screws then doing bone graft into break, they did surgical clean out of debris (fibrocartiage) in adjacent L ankle.

Phoenix was right...I was too harsh with Kilgore. He had an initial surgery for break, failed to heal properly, had it redone 8 mos later, and required bone graft also. Additionally he had a surgical clean out of L ankle at time of fibula 2nd surgery. He didn't play again until Dec of 2015, which was with only a few games remaining.

I forgot two things:
First, KIlgore had a nasty break, and it didn't heal wiht plate and screws. Then the redo 8 mos later required redoing surgery and replacing hardware, PLUS the surgical clean out of probably fibrocartiage in L ankle adjacent to break. This was just a case of a surgery that didn't heal well and needed to be redone, and aided wtth bone grafts which take therir time to heal. Unfortunately for us, Martin took over during that time, and the fall off in OC play was unfortunately notable.

Hopefully with luck, Kilgore (has done squats with 500 lbs) is ready for 2016...if he remains healthy, we won't need another starting OC. We, however, do not have a sub of equal or even semi equal talent. Therefore we need to get either get one or have Tiller, Beadles, or Garnett sub for him if he gets injured. Martin is definitely NOT the substitute answer.

In the future I will remember that Kilgore had two surgeries, and both were significant. I hope he is able to play this yr...as our 2nd choice is well... poor.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM ]
Alright, since both Phoenix and NY85 have gigged me about it, I went back and researched it.

Oct 19th, 2014. Kilgore who had taken over for Goodwin at OC broke his L fibula . Surgical fix was a plate + 13 screws. Healed but poorly and progress was insufficient.

June 14, 2015. 2nd surgery to take out old plate and screws, and replace with new ones. Also did bone graft from hip which was placed in fibular break where "gunk" had accumulated and was debrided prior to bone graft.

At surgery, more gunk or debris was noted in ankle, ( assume loose fibrocartiage) and that was removed surgically.

Summary: Oct '14 surgery of broken ankle with screws and plates needed revision for failure to heal in June '15. In addition to changing out plate and screws then doing bone graft into break, they did surgical clean out of debris (fibrocartiage) in adjacent L ankle.

Phoenix was right...I was too harsh with Kilgore. He had an initial surgery for break, failed to heal properly, had it redone 8 mos later, and required bone graft also. Additionally he had a surgical clean out of L ankle at time of fibula 2nd surgery. He didn't play again until Dec of 2015, which was with only a few games remaining.

I forgot two things:
First, KIlgore had a nasty break, and it didn't heal wiht plate and screws. Then the redo 8 mos later required redoing surgery and replacing hardware, PLUS the surgical clean out of probably fibrocartiage in L ankle adjacent to break. This was just a case of a surgery that didn't heal well and needed to be redone, and aided wtth bone grafts which take therir time to heal. Unfortunately for us, Martin took over during that time, and the fall off in OC play was unfortunately notable.

Hopefully with luck, Kilgore (has done squats with 500 lbs) is ready for 2016...if he remains healthy, we won't need another starting OC. We, however, do not have a sub of equal or even semi equal talent. Therefore we need to get either get one or have Tiller, Beadles, or Garnett sub for him if he gets injured. Martin is definitely NOT the substitute answer.

In the future I will remember that Kilgore had two surgeries, and both were significant. I hope he is able to play this yr...as our 2nd choice is well... poor.

Yeah hopefully he's back to 100%...I wish they would have just not even played him at all last year.

M Martin has disappointed since coming into the league, I think really the only positive with him is that he was the youngest player drafted that year and is only 22 right now . He clearly wasn't strong enough to be thrown into games that early ( but sometimes you have to get thrown into the deep end). I still think he's gonna get stronger and better, but he's got to take a backup role for the time being.

We're typically pretty good at getting players who are well-suited to play another position. And getting them acclimated. Bruce Miller was the only one to start games in year one. Balducci is probably a guy to pay more attention to in 2017. This year, the guy I'm interested in seeing play is Ian Silberman. It seems like a long shot, but maybe he can outperform Marcus Martin. Either that, or Martin gets it together, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

He's part of a long list of players I'm excited to see this off season...how much they've physically and mentally developed. Who'll make that "leap" etc.
I hop Cajuste makes the team. He can be that big bodied WR we've never had.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

He's my UDFA training camp crush lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah mine too, which is not a good sign
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yeah mine too, which is not a good sign

He'll probably never have a regular season snap as a niner smh.
Share 49ersWebzone