LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Welcome OT John Theus - Fifth Round Pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
I'm not very excited about this guy. Swing tackle at best? Don't get me wrong, depth is important. Hope he makes the cut, though.

I would guess he and Cooper will get snaps at RT in OTA's, minicamps, training camp and preseason. Thus a chance at earning the starting RT spot, but will have to beat out Brown.

One of the critiques on him is his lack of strength for the position. Before I even heard that, it was what I was thinking by just looking at him.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
I see his first year on the P.S. and Cooper making the 53

Right now I have both making it but yes, Cooper would probably be the one activated for games.

I can see them keeping Pears only b/c of the lack of exp from Trenton and these other rooks.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Big conference o-linemen with lots of starts, but who are drafted on the third day, are pretty worthless as nfl starting material down the road. They dont have the goods--athletically.
Pick your sleepers on the third day; dudes with real--but untapped--potential.

Winning formula: tackles--first 3 rounds. Guard/center--first 4 rounds.
Mostly throwaways after that. There just are not many big athletes in the world, year to year.
Use your later picks on db, wr and rb. You can find good starters from that crop if you have a good eye for talent.
Originally posted by xcfan:
Big conference o-linemen with lots of starts, but who are drafted on the third day, are pretty worthless as nfl starting material down the road. They dont have the goods--athletically.

Mostly throwaways after that. There just are not many big athletes in the world, year to year.
Use your later picks on db, wr and rb. You can find good starters from that crop if you have a good eye for talent.

I don't think you can be quite so dogmatic. Treeton Brown for example. And did we need any more rb's, cb's or wr's? Many, many good O linemen have been drafted late. Top of my head Eric Heitman and Jesse Sapulo send their regards but there are loads more.

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules for the draft. Which is why no one hits home runs every year.
Originally posted by English:

I don't think you can be quite so dogmatic. Treeton Brown for example. And did we need any more rb's, cb's or wr's? Many, many good O linemen have been drafted late. Top of my head Eric Heitman and Jesse Sapulo send their regards but there are loads more.

I don't think there are any hard-and-fast rules for the draft. Which is why no one hits home runs every year.

This.
MANY top 10 tackles never cut it as an NFL player. It's very difficult to tell who can handle nfl speed and schemes.
hopefully he turns out to be the next Keith Fahnhorst

Agreed. Especially with players leaving after two years in college and not understanding pro style offenses (plus not being strong enough). Their are learning curves for all positions but OL IMO can be steep.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Agreed. Especially with players leaving after two years in college and not understanding pro style offenses (plus not being strong enough). Their are learning curves for all positions but OL IMO can be steep.

This theory is actually pretty well grounded in reality for OT's actually. Of PFF's top 40 OT's last season, only 1 OT was from power a 5 conference who entered the NFL as 4th-UDFA (David Bakhtiari). I'd say this is more true at OT than at guard or center, as I can think of a bunch of mid-late rounders who are pretty good players at those positions.

Nothing is absolute, but targeting guys for their traits late is probably the way to go. Trenton Brown didn't exactly have a ton of starts under his belt because of the transfer and the conditioning issues, but he might be more of an exception due to unique circumstances than a good example of a counter to that claim.
[ Edited by McClusky on May 31, 2016 at 7:43 AM ]

Right now I have both making it but yes, Cooper would probably be the one activated for games.

I can see them keeping Pears only b/c of the lack of exp from Trenton and these other rooks.

Going back and reading this again, I actually do have Pears making the team as a backup RT unless Theus beats him out or Jesus delivers a healthy and motivated and mental stable and mature Anthony Davis to our door. They've moved Cooper inside to G and only Theus and Colin Kelly & Norman Price are playing outside right now behind Staley and Brown.

This

Add Derrick Dees to the list.

Going back and reading this again, I actually do have Pears making the team as a backup RT unless Theus beats him out or Jesus delivers a healthy and motivated and mental stable and mature Anthony Davis to our door. They've moved Cooper inside to G and only Theus and Colin Kelly & Norman Price are playing outside right now behind Staley and Brown.

Damn, I must have missed this. Was this reported recently?

IIRC, it was noted in one of MM's articles regarding who's lining up where. That doesn't mean he's exclusive to that position but for now, it seems like they are working him in there.

IIRC, it was noted in one of MM's articles regarding who's lining up where. That doesn't mean he's exclusive to that position but for now, it seems like they are working him in there.

We will for sure have crazy competition at G on this team.

Kinda wish we had more competition at C too.
We will for sure have crazy competition at G on this team.

Kinda wish we had more competition at C too.

For sure...that is one starter position I'm concerned about along with RT is Brown can't beat out Pears for some odd reason. We just have no depth there unless Martin takes a big leap forward. I do feel better with Kilgore in the ZBS on stretch runs but I don't think he has the power to hold the POC on inside zone runs but we'll see.

BTW, this is form MB yesterday:

First team: LT Joe Staley, LG Zane Beadles, C Daniel Kilgore, RG Brandon Thomas, RT Erik Pears

Second team: LT Colin Kelly, LG Ian Silberman, C Marcus Martin, RG Andrew Tiller, RT Trent Brown

Third team: LT Norman Price*, LG Blake Muir*, C Alex Balducci*, RG Fahn Cooper*, RT John Theus*

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article80893787.html#storylink=cpy
I may be a minority... But I believe with a year of learning the Zone Blocking scheme Kelly likes to run, Theus may turn out well. He has the physicality to really show up, I just think he needs patience. Plus.. anyone is better than the train wreck we saw last year. If anything, it was a good idea to bolster our line!
Share 49ersWebzone