There are 222 users in the forums

Ronald Blair-DE-Appalachian State-signs with Jets

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
His selection seems a lot like the Tank experiment a few years back. Great pick but round peg in a square whole. Is there a reason why he will succeed in a 3-4 scheme where Tank couldn't at DE?

He actually fits the mold. Tank was always an edge rusher.
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
I think that he will stay at DE with Tank at OLB and come in on sub packages. With Dorsey and Williams out til mid season he could get a lot of playing time. I was I,pressed with his highlights.

IDK, he's puzzling. Strong enough to set the edge at DE or OLB, good quickness, but poor flexibility should make him a better interior than edge rusher. Still, he deliberately dropped to 276 to drill at OLB for his pro day, and he's considerably shorter than the Baalke/Kelly ideal at DE. Either way, I'm excited we got him. Good football player.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Blair is a very good pick. 3rd round talent and rated that way by many. Really liking our DE group right now.

LE: Armstead/Blair/TJE
RE: Buckner/Dial

Getting Blair gives us the flexibility and insurance of having Dial able to play NT if Williams or Purcell are hurt or need a breather.

I actually think Blair was mostly on the right side.

RE: Buckner/Blair
LE: Armstead/Dial

Plus Purcell, Dorsey, and the terrible TJE

I thought Kaleb Ramsey stood out in the preseason, I wonder if he could beat TJE for a roster spot if we carry enough DE's.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by SFBuckeye:
I think that he will stay at DE with Tank at OLB and come in on sub packages. With Dorsey and Williams out til mid season he could get a lot of playing time. I was I,pressed with his highlights.

IDK, he's puzzling. Strong enough to set the edge at DE or OLB, good quickness, but poor flexibility should make him a better interior than edge rusher. Still, he deliberately dropped to 276 to drill at OLB for his pro day, and he's considerably shorter than the Baalke/Kelly ideal at DE. Either way, I'm excited we got him. Good football player.

49ers.com lists him at 6'4" 270 lbs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
like those small schools. should have drafted a university of northern iowa cornerback
His selection seems a lot like the Tank experiment a few years back. Great pick but round peg in a square whole. Is there a reason why he will succeed in a 3-4 scheme where Tank couldn't at DE?

He played in a 3-4 in college and is coming in at 285. He is already the size for a 3-4 DE.
Is there a reason why he will succeed in a 3-4 scheme where Tank couldn't at DE?

Uh....probably because he played in a 3-4 scheme in college.

Unlike Carradine, Blair is best suited as an interior rusher.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 1, 2016 at 1:52 PM ]

He is being brought in as a rotational player that can rush the passer from all four line spots in the 4-2-5 and 4-1-6.

Tank is going back to his natural position, which is a DE in the 4-2 and 4-1 packages. I don't think we'll see either of these guys in our 3-4 "base" formation.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

He played in a 3-4 in college and is coming in at 285. He is already the size for a 3-4 DE.

I'd like to hear others take but he seems a much better fit all up and down the DL in nickel and dime sets. In fact, didn't Baalke say the very same thing yesterday?

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article74978317.html
[ Edited by NCommand on May 1, 2016 at 2:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'd like to hear others take but he seems a much better fit all up and down the DL in nickel and dime sets. In fact, didn't Baalke say the very same thing yesterday?

I think they'll start him out in the DL rotation first. Don't think they'll have him play OLB. We'll probably let the transitional Carradine, UDFAs and other incumbents compete there.

Not necessarily here, but generally, it is puzzling to me that the first thing certain coaches or GMs want to do , and especially on our team, is to switch a DE to an OLB or vice versa. If a guy doesn't fit the morphology size wise or muscle wise, then change him....is it just me or does that sound just a bit ridciulous? If a kid played great at OLB, then leave him there. Same for DE.

Ok, there are times when you NEED a DE or OLB, so you convert one to the other. But it seems we attempt to do this somewhat yrly and I don't get that.If a guy is an OC, why make him play QB? That is an exaggeration, but you get the point.

That aside , however, I love the pick. Just curious how small school DEs which have not had the big college opposition ,....how will he do? I guessing very good.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 1, 2016 at 2:37 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Not necessarily here, but generally, it is puzzling to me that the first thing certain coaches or GMs want to do , and especially on our team, is to switch a DE to an OLB or vice versa. If a guy doesn't fit the morphology size wise or muscle wise, then change him....is it just me or does that sound just a bit ridciulous? If a kid played great at OLB, then leave him there. Same for DE.

Ok, there are times when you NEED a DE or OLB, so you convert one to the other. But it seems we attempt to do this somewhat yrly and I don't get that.If a guy is an OC, why make him play QB? That is an exaggeration, but you get the point.

A lot of times has to do with the schemes ran in college vs the scheme ran in the NFL
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think they'll start him out in the DL rotation first. Don't think they'll have him play OLB. We'll probably let the transitional Carradine, UDFAs and other incumbents compete there.

Thanks. That was my take as well.
I feel like the plan is to use less base and more sub packages and four man fronts. Hence all CBs, the drafting of Blair, and the decision to forego taking an ILB.
I think what the niners are going to do is not what we think. Even though we run a base 3-4. It is not going to be the same because, the league on average passes 60% of the time according to one article (that of course is an average). So guys like Wilhoite will be out and Tart will be in and guys like Tank and Blair will be in as DE while AA and Buckner will kick inside. Only Lynch and Bow will stay in at LB. Blair will replace Tank if we can't resign him after a breakout year.
Share 49ersWebzone