LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
You know jedbaalke are low balling him.

This and he prolly trying to get as much gaurenteed before he retired and goes to medical school.

They can't, the league CBA sets all rookie contract salaries as part of the cap agreement.
Baalke is trying to get the extra year on his contract and Garnett's agent knows Baalkes policy regarding not paying elite interior linemen and wants to get him to FA sooner. If you want to call that offset language go ahead. Baalke just trying trying Baalke.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Baalke is trying to get the extra year on his contract and Garnett's agent knows Baalkes policy regarding not paying elite interior linemen and wants to get him to FA sooner. If you want to call that offset language go ahead. Baalke just trying trying Baalke.

That might be, and it is good business practice actually, but the dollars on rookie contracts are set. So no, they aren't trying to lowball him in his rookie year as has been mentioned here. And if he is smart, and he is supposed to be very smart, he will make that rookie contract as short as he can, with as few penalty clauses as he can.
Originally posted by mojave45:
That might be, and it is good business practice actually, but the dollars on rookie contracts are set. So no, they aren't trying to lowball him in his rookie year as has been mentioned here. And if he is smart, and he is supposed to be very smart, he will make that rookie contract as short as he can, with as few penalty clauses as he can.

Yes the contract holdup has nothing to do with money. It is about the extra year and i agree with you. Garnett will try to get to FA as soon as possible. I don't blame him. Baalke will let him walk just as he develops into a star anyway. Why give the 49ers the extra year knowing they won't be the organization paying him.

Yes the contract holdup has nothing to do with money. It is about the extra year and i agree with you. Garnett will try to get to FA as soon as possible. I don't blame him. Baalke will let him walk just as he develops into a star anyway. Why give the 49ers the extra year knowing they won't be the organization paying him.

Not sure I agree with the rest of the analysis, but Garnett is smart to open up his options if he believes he will be a success. It us the best way to make his money. But it us good business sense by the FO to try and get that extra year if they can.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

The extra year on his contract? It's a rookie deal.
Originally posted by susweel:

This and he prolly trying to get as much gaurenteed before he retired and goes to medical school.

They can't, the league CBA sets all rookie contract salaries as part of the cap agreement.

He's a first rounder too which means he comes with an automatic 5th year option.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/21/four-unsigned-first-rounders-remain/

Will Fuller has signed since this article came out, but it sounds like the primary reasons for Garnett to hold out are:
1. Offset language (if he's cut and another team signs him, the 49ers would get some of the guaranteed money back)
2. Guaranteed money in year 4 (after pick 19 in the first round, not all of the 4th year is guaranteed)
3. Timing of guaranteed money (players want more money up front, teams want roster and workout bonuses)

Eric Reid got no offset language in his contract as a rookie so if the 49ers cut him, he keeps all the guaranteed money the 49ers paid him plus whatever his new team pays him. Garnett has the leverage to get this too - the 49ers are in desperate need of help on the offensive line and free agents aren't exactly lining up to play for us right now. He doesn't need us (or football) as much as we need him.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/7/10/4511738/eric-reid-rookie-contract-offset-language-49ers-draft-picks-2013
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Jul 23, 2016 at 8:12 PM ]

Youre arguing about something that is already defined in the CBA. The 5th year is automatic if the team chooses to do so. It isnt up for discussion and the player has no say in the matter.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/02/nfl-2011-draft-fifth-year-option

The issue about offset language means if he happens to get cut, he gets all his money that the team owed him + whatever a new team would pay, it isnt offset by the new salary. That is what Bosa has been arguing for and my guess is that Garnett is as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM ]

Well that makes no sense since he's a 1st rd pick and they can pick up his 5th yr option like they did with Reid. It's all part of the CBA man.

They will only let him walk if he isn't up to it. As you ought to remember, when contracts of quality players were coming to an end Baalke was renegotiating them. Only when the player had ludicrous expectations or didn't particularly want to be here was he allowed to walk.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
again, what is the delay?

what's everyone waitin for if all salaries are already set up?
Originally posted by 9moon:

Have you read the previous comments? Seems like details around Hold backs or other fairly minor stuff. Bosa demanded no hold backs too I hear.
Originally posted by 9moon:

Were talking about this idiot as organization. Only this team can f**k up something as guaranteed as these rookie contracts.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I can understand Garnett standing his ground on his demands up until training camp is set to begin. No harm no foul if he doesn't miss a session. Sounds like he has attended everything he was allowed to attend thus far.
Share 49ersWebzone