LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
He should be starting by week 1. Guard is generally easy to learn.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Every team knows about this rule... no ones complaining.. cause really, if they hated it that much, the would not be drafting players who can not participate like this..

no biggy.. bottom line is, if you're a good, you're good..

Agreed - the long term significant impact of this rule is 0.

I disagree-the reason is that the game is so much faster and more complicated and while some positions like running back may not be as hard as others are, you need to learn the scheme if it is different, the pace of practice is different, knowing where to go where everything is just adds to the stress. That is not just me speaking as an opinion, but players who have talked about their rookie year and later how it is in their 2nd. Many of these that I have read from different players across the NFL included the so called good/great players. They all talk about a difference if you miss so many days- mental reps, physical conditioning (no matter how much you train on your own, it was different when they got there), especially if you got a coach like Kelly. Knowing where to go for meetings, as simple as the sounds, you have to compound it with them trying to learn and remember other stuff. That is why you here them talking in their 2nd year, how they don't have to think as much and can just play. Knowing where to go and what is expected of them.

That is why Garnett is with the third team till he catches up, when he does somewhat catches up on conditioning and knowing his assignments, he then has to learn his teammates assignments, their habits-good and bad so that they can be more cohesive. If you come from a spread and go to a pro set, were you taught the basics? Things like that missing those two weeks can be invaluable when TC comes along.

Garnett said that the zone blocking footwork was identical to what he learned already at Stanford. Hopefully that will help advance the learning curve a good amount before week 1.
Why haven't we signed this guy yet?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Garnett dunking a basketball. Dude is an athletic big.

https://twitter.com/IamJoshG/status/747212600555905026?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pssst, he's got nothing on Trent Brown at 355 pounds! LOL
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

That reminds me of the part in moneyball. When Brad Pitt says 1st base is easy and the coach behind him says it's very hard.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

That reminds me of the part in moneyball. When Brad Pitt says 1st base is easy and the coach behind him says it's very hard.

brad pitt is dreamy
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Can't wait which player BABYFACE will end up pan-caking first!!

oooohhhhhhhhhhhh whattaaaaaa RUSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Speaking of RUSHHHHH, is Garnett going to be able to hold up against it?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
IF.. the guy is having trouble with our own ARMO & BUCKO, Babyface is in for a LONGGGGGGGGGG SEASON!!!!

In a regular season game, maybe one of the Ram DBs. But they won't be easy or common against NFL defensive units.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Speaking of RUSHHHHH, is Garnett going to be able to hold up against it?

With good coaching, he should. He seems to have the same type of smarts and athleticism as Joe Staley, who I originally thought would be too light to hold the LT position, but he usually wins his battles with speed, technique, and leverage. Garnett's rookie season will be a learning experience though, so I have pretty low expectations.
Has he signed yet?

I hope he is & expect him to be 1 of the starting guards this season in week 1.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Crown:
Every team knows about this rule... no ones complaining.. cause really, if they hated it that much, the would not be drafting players who can not participate like this..

no biggy.. bottom line is, if you're a good, you're good..

Agreed - the long term significant impact of this rule is 0.

I disagree-the reason is that the game is so much faster and more complicated and while some positions like running back may not be as hard as others are, you need to learn the scheme if it is different, the pace of practice is different, knowing where to go where everything is just adds to the stress. That is not just me speaking as an opinion, but players who have talked about their rookie year and later how it is in their 2nd. Many of these that I have read from different players across the NFL included the so called good/great players. They all talk about a difference if you miss so many days- mental reps, physical conditioning (no matter how much you train on your own, it was different when they got there), especially if you got a coach like Kelly. Knowing where to go for meetings, as simple as the sounds, you have to compound it with them trying to learn and remember other stuff. That is why you here them talking in their 2nd year, how they don't have to think as much and can just play. Knowing where to go and what is expected of them.

That is why Garnett is with the third team till he catches up, when he does somewhat catches up on conditioning and knowing his assignments, he then has to learn his teammates assignments, their habits-good and bad so that they can be more cohesive. If you come from a spread and go to a pro set, were you taught the basics? Things like that missing those two weeks can be invaluable when TC comes along.

Totally get your point but how much scheme and plays are installed in early OTAs?

From what I know (could be wrong) it's more basic football fundamentals and technique.
Agree Tohara, and I also think that 4 games in, this OL is going to kick some considerable heinie. From the indisuputable weak link in a really weak chain to the heart of our team...I love what our OL has become...and I include Trenton in that , even if others don't. Even better, between staley, zane, Kilgore(I hope healthy),josh, Trenton, then we also have tiller, Thomas, silberman( I have no idea where or what his status is or health), plus our two later OLs in draft, both of whom I think make the team...that is not only a great start for an OL, but also some really nice talent as starters on the bench...who I bet play in rotation due to up tempo.
Share 49ersWebzone