LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
It's important to note that the zone blocking that the 49ers ran last season is different than what Chip runs. Last season was majority outside zone, which is a skillset mismatch for guys like Boone/Iupati. Chip runs majority inside zone where there is more straight ahead blocking. I think Boone/Iupati would do better on inside zone, which involves an element of smash mouth, drive blocking. In 2012 when the 49ers were killing teams with the zone read, Boone and Iupati were doing fine (inside zone).

I think Garnett should do fine on inside zone. I also think Boone/Iupati would have done fine on inside zone. Below is outside zone. This is not what Chip does most of the time.

He does enough of the outside zone stuff that you want guards that are versatile, able to play with power and also able to move in space, ala Evan Mathis. Garnett is a lot closer to that ideal than Iupati who was a much bigger guard and not nearly as agile.
Roman did call screen passes. Any screen pass that was designed to go to the edge sucked because of his guards. When it was designed to be in the middle of the field, it was fine.

Dude never called screens.

I remember a great middle screen to kendall hunter in 2011 vs PHI that went for a huge gain. I was thinking we'd see a lot more of that....nope.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Roman did call screen passes. Any screen pass that was designed to go to the edge sucked because of his guards. When it was designed to be in the middle of the field, it was fine.

I remember a great middle screen to kendall hunter in 2011 vs PHI that went for a huge gain. I was thinking we'd see a lot more of that....nope.
every year we are told we will use screen passes and get the backs involved that way and every year its the same old s**t. i would like to think this year WILL be different
  • thl408

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176222-screen-pass-argument/page3/#post41

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/176222-screen-pass-argument/page3/#post41

I'm still applauding that thread.
Was reading an old thread on Niners Nation debating Garnett's final position (LG, RG). And someone posted that your RG needed to be physically stronger than the LG. Is this true, and if so why? That thread was probably too old to get a response from the person that posted it, so I thought I would ask here.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Was reading an old thread on Niners Nation debating Garnett's final position (LG, RG). And someone posted that your RG needed to be physically stronger than the LG. Is this true, and if so why? That thread was probably too old to get a response from the person that posted it, so I thought I would ask here.

Most QBs are right handed, making the right side of the field more natural to scan when dropping back, especially from under center. An inline TE is usually lined up on the right side so that he's part of the passing strength, making the right side the strongside. Runs are usually to the strongside of the formation, where the TE is, on the right. It's just a generalization on how to build the OL - having strong run blockers at RG/RT. It's not that the RG has to be physically stronger than the LG. Just, "the RG needs to be a strong run blocker."
When does this kid get to practice?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Most QBs are right handed, making the right side of the field more natural to scan when dropping back, especially from under center. An inline TE is usually lined up on the right side so that he's part of the passing strength, making the right side the strongside. Runs are usually to the strongside of the formation, where the TE is, on the right. It's just a generalization on how to build the OL - having strong run blockers at RG/RT. It's not that the RG has to be physically stronger than the LG. Just, "the RG needs to be a strong run blocker."

Thank you sir

Can someone tell me what happened to our "wham" blocks that we were doing in the past?
Did they get figured out? Do other teams run them?
It just seemed like we got yardage out of it and it knocked the crap out of the defense!
Lol

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

I believe he graduates in early June.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I believe he graduates in early June.

Thanks man

This!

Wasn't talking about WR screens.
  • thl408

Wasn't talking about WR screens.

There's 6 RB screens in that post and that's just a handful of games in one season.
Share 49ersWebzone