LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Tom Brady wasn't even ranked when he came out, my point is rankings are for media people and will never help a player on the field.

He was drafted in the first round, in fact we traded up to get him. You would think he could at least be serviceable.

Gotta see it to believe it, and once again I hope I am dead wrong and that you are 100% right.

Tom Brady is the exception not the norm and you know that...josh had a rookie yr with one of the worst coaching staffs along with the most obvious play calls in the league. I'm fine with having to see it to believe it BUT you could say that about every single rookie pick I guess. Not every single prospect is a plug and play starter.

We will see, talent is there
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Tom Brady wasn't even ranked when he came out, my point is rankings are for media people and will never help a player on the field.

He was drafted in the first round, in fact we traded up to get him. You would think he could at least be serviceable.

Gotta see it to believe it, and once again I hope I am dead wrong and that you are 100% right.

I just have a hard time judging this guy off of his rookie year alone. There are very few guards who come in to a zone-scheme their rookie year and look great. That zone blocking is tough to get down if you haven't done it all the time.

That and Garnett did look overwhelmed by a lot his rookie year and we had one of the worst coaching staffs IMO.

I get it that it's hard to still be patient with a lot of these 1st round picks when the team isn't winning and needs them to fill a hole but sometimes that's just the case. Not every rookie is going to be Patrick Willis. Look at a player like Jared Goff when they get a 2nd year under their belt and are with a coaching staff they mesh with better.

Played in 3 different systems last 3 years. Along along with his getting his body right and getting stronger, well see what he's got. Let's hope he sends Laken to the bench who played better down the stretch.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I just have a hard time judging this guy off of his rookie year alone. There are very few guards who come in to a zone-scheme their rookie year and look great. That zone blocking is tough to get down if you haven't done it all the time.

That and Garnett did look overwhelmed by a lot his rookie year and we had one of the worst coaching staffs IMO.

I get it that it's hard to still be patient with a lot of these 1st round picks when the team isn't winning and needs them to fill a hole but sometimes that's just the case. Not every rookie is going to be Patrick Willis. Look at a player like Jared Goff when they get a 2nd year under their belt and are with a coaching staff they mesh with better.

Agree

Good post jonny!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I've been saying it all along... They're not gonna hand him the job and will make sure he goes hard to the point it's an easy call to put him in to start. They're gonna keep pushing him until they get him where they want him.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

I've been saying it all along... They're not gonna hand him the job and will make sure he goes hard to the point it's an easy call to put him in to start. They're gonna keep pushing him until they get him where they want him.

You know it!

Dude is going to have to battle hard against Person and Cooper when he's back to full strength. It sounds like Tomlinson has the LG locked down and he's down to 315.
Put in that work
Originally posted by NCommand:

Dude is going to have to battle hard against Person and Cooper when he's back to full strength. It sounds like Tomlinson has the LG locked down and he's down to 315.

Is it locked down or are they motivating Garnett?

Not sure...sounds like Garnett continues to split 1 reps at RG with Person.

I wonder if Cooper will compete with Tomlinson at LG at some point or join the competition at RG.

I wonder if Cooper will compete with Tomlinson at LG at some point or join the competition at RG.

I'm thinking Cooper will go to RG then Garnett will fight Laken for the job. My money is on Cooper wins. I like the fit for him to be solid.

Person could be a dark horse to nab on of the G spots
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

It sure looks that way with him splitting reps. I think the guard competition will be the most interesting to follow.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

It sure looks that way with him splitting reps. I think the guard competition will be the most interesting to follow.

Yup. If I recall, he performed decently during his 2nd stint in IND. he's well versed in KS zone blocking as well, so we shall see
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jun 7, 2018 at 4:30 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Yup. If I recall, he performed decently during his 2nd stint in IND. he's well versed in KS zone blocking as well, so we shall see

Share 49ersWebzone