There are 224 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcs:
If Oline is the goal with a top 10 pick than OT is more important. T.Brown appears to be under evaluation by the front office to see if he's committed to football and keeping his weight under control and Staley won't be around much longer. You could draft a great OT early and also plug them in at G with the ability to swing outside in case of injury.

That's not always true (plugging in a OT to play guard). OG has proven to be much more important now with all these stud interior DL.

I'd be fine if they wanted to take someone like Williams to play OG then plan to push him out to OT down the road...but simply thinking you can throw a OT in at OG is silly, imagine brown as a OG lol not gonna happen.

If Nelson is a pro-bowl caliber OG sign me up....I also like Braden smith in the 2nd but I'd imagine a lot of teams like him there as well. Can only draft who's there when it's your pick.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
LT- Joe Staley
LG- Quenton Nelson
C- Ryan Jensen
RG- Josh Garnett
RT- Trent Brown

WOW

If all started reaching their potential here, I would not complain.

If Oline is the goal with a top 10 pick than OT is more important. T.Brown appears to be under evaluation by the front office to see if he's committed to football and keeping his weight under control and Staley won't be around much longer. You could draft a great OT early and also plug them in at G with the ability to swing outside in case of injury.

I tend to agree with this. Draft an OT and play them at RG for year one (and be the swing tackle if needed).

Still, I think Shanahan values other positions more. My money's with a pass rusher (Landry, Chubb, Ferrell, or Key)
Originally posted by Bimbo_Coles:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
You could definitely sign me up for that, I could also live with Braden Smith, Billy Price, Wyatt Teller or a combination of.

Braden Smith in the 2nd for me. Really want us to try and nab Harold Landry in the first.

That would be nice as well.

Harold Landry is growing on me. His speed on the outside would force QBs to step up right into Buck and Solomon.

Maybe we address the line in free agency.

LT- Joe Staley
LG- Justin Pugh
C- Ryan Jensen
RG- Josh Garnett / Frank Ragnow
RT- Trent Brown/ Allen Barbre

Round 1- Harold Landry, DE
Round 2- Sony Michel, RB
Round 3- Frank Ragnow, C/G
Round 3- MJ Stewart, CB
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
That would be nice as well.

Harold Landry is growing on me. His speed on the outside would force QBs to step up right into Buck and Solomon.

Maybe we address the line in free agency.

LT- Joe Staley
LG- Justin Pugh
C- Ryan Jensen
RG- Josh Garnett / Frank Ragnow

Round 1- Harold Landry, DE
Round 2- Sony Michel, RB
Round 3- Frank Ragnow, C/G
Round 3- MJ Stewart, CB

Landry and Michel is perfect then top it off with a Center, sign me up!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That's not always true (plugging in a OT to play guard). OG has proven to be much more important now with all these stud interior DL.

I'd be fine if they wanted to take someone like Williams to play OG then plan to push him out to OT down the road...but simply thinking you can throw a OT in at OG is silly, imagine brown as a OG lol not gonna happen.

If Nelson is a pro-bowl caliber OG sign me up....I also like Braden smith in the 2nd but I'd imagine a lot of teams like him there as well. Can only draft who's there when it's your pick.

Truth!

Also, FA may have a gem or 2 and we're much more attractive to quality FA's now.
Originally posted by Joecool:
With how good JG made the OL look, I think we can go OL in round 2. This team needs game breaking players who force the Defenses hand or who can lock down the opposing best offensive player.

RB/WR
Or
CB/OLB

Disagreed, we can't fill every hole in one year but if we shore up the OLine now to protect our most valuable asset for years to come, that would be a big win for us in the off season. I say we go all out on OLine to protect Jimmy GQ and create massive holes for our RBs.

Sign/Draft:
FA: (C) Jensen and (G) Norwell
DRAFT:
(G) Nelson (1st Rd)
(C) Ragnow (3rd Rd)

2018 OLine:
LT-Staley/Rookie
LG-Nelson/Garnett
C-Jensen/Ragnow
RG-Norwell/Garnett
RT-Brown/Gilliam
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Disagreed, we can't fill every hole in one year but if we shore up the OLine now to protect our most valuable asset for years to come, that would be a big win for us in the off season. I say we go all out on OLine to protect Jimmy GQ and create massive holes for our RBs.

Sign/Draft:
DRAFT:
(G) Nelson (1st Rd)
(C) Ragnow (3rd Rd)

2018 OLine:
LT-Staley/Rookie
LG-Nelson/Garnett
C-Jensen/Ragnow
RG-Norwell/Garnett
RT-Brown/Gilliam

I just don't think Shanahan values 330 pound guards. Both Nelson and Norwell are just that. 330 is bigger than all the tackles Shanahan has previously used.

I also have high hopes for Garnett. He is going to be a beast at 305 lbs.

I like Jensen at center but maybe we target a guy like Josh Kline from Tennessee and a few quality backups like Allen Barbre and Ben Garland

LT- Joe Staley
LG- Josh Garnett / Laken Tomlinson
C- Ryan Jensen / Ben Garland
RG- Josh Kline / Erik Magnunson

We can't fill all our needs in one year. RT's are moderately easy to find. We can grab one next year if Brown isn't in our long term plans.

Maybe draft a tackle to groom as well.

LT- Joe Staley / Rookie
LG- Josh Garnett / Laken Tomlinson
C- Ryan Jensen / Ben Garland
RG- Josh Kline / Erik Magnunson
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 7, 2018 at 10:37 PM ]
With how good JG made the OL look, I think we can go OL in round 2. This team needs game breaking players who force the Defenses hand or who can lock down the opposing best offensive player.

RB/WR
Or
CB/OLB

Sign/Draft:
DRAFT:
(G) Nelson (1st Rd)
(C) Ragnow (3rd Rd)

2018 OLine:
LT-Staley/Rookie
LG-Nelson/Garnett
C-Jensen/Ragnow
RG-Norwell/Garnett
RT-Brown/Gilliam

Ragnow would be over kill IMO with Jensen freshly signed.

Also think Garnett will start so if you want Nelson then i really doubt we go after Norwell.
Well, it may seem like overkill, but we all saw what happened when our OL went south. Barnes, Fsco, Zut, Laken, Kilgore....and more....and wth any QB except JG, our QB got killed. Just because JG has a quick release, doesn't mean we can skate with inferior OLs. We want that kid protected and if a starter goes down, damn it, i want two guys who can come in and immediately be starters on the OL who can block for JG. So if we end up with 7 starting OLs, fine by me. There isn't a better place on the team to have not backups but starters in waiting. Then when injuries come, we are not shot out of the tub. So add me to 808 4 lyphe and load up on the OLs. Believe me, we will use them all by end of yr. And they will protect our most valuable guy in getting us to SB. I like every pick above....FA and draft.

RB/WR
Or
CB/OLB

Sign/Draft:
DRAFT:
(G) Nelson (1st Rd)
(C) Ragnow (3rd Rd)

2018 OLine:
LT-Staley/Rookie
LG-Nelson/Garnett
C-Jensen/Ragnow
RG-Norwell/Garnett
RT-Brown/Gilliam

I'd be somewhat shocked if the team added four new offensive linemen, either through the draft or free agency. Remember, a line's greatest strength isn't individual, it's collective. Lines with experience of working with one another game in and game out are the best lines in all of football. You could field a squad of all-pros, a team's best lineman, throw them all together and it would still take time for that line to gel together into a cohesive unit.

If we get another guard or center out of free agency or the draft, I'll be happy with that.

Originally posted by billbird2111:
I'd be somewhat shocked if the team added four new offensive linemen, either through the draft or free agency. Remember, a line's greatest strength isn't individual, it's collective. Lines with experience of working with one another game in and game out are the best lines in all of football. You could field a squad of all-pros, a team's best lineman, throw them all together and it would still take time for that line to gel together into a cohesive unit.

If we get another guard or center out of free agency or the draft, I'll be happy with that.

I wouldn't BUT I'd be shocked w/4 OL starters.

I still see Staley and Trent B asd our starting Tackles.

Hopefully, Garnett will become the player many of us were hoping he'd be.

IMO, we need a new starting Center and one Guard.

I'd like to see us pick up 2-3 developmental guys.

good post, imho. I agree.

adding JG to the mix--at his new weight--at LG in place of Fusco seems likely, and a good start for this year's version of the o-line. he's had a year of watching and learning shanny's playbook, and with his new weight and conditioning--without sacrificing any strength--may just make him the perfect fit for shanny's system at guard. he was highly rated coming out of college, so we know he can perform at a high level. hopefully he's totally acclimated to the nfl now, and ready to roll.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 10, 2018 at 1:18 PM ]
We cant sign two high profile free agent offensive lineman then draft 2. That's ridiculous. we should go pass-rusher or inside linebacker at number nine and then bpa in the second round

I wouldn't. The O line was probably the 49ers' worst unit. I hope they sign two interior linemen (starters) and draft a T in the early rounds; and finish the draft with a Center. Last year, the main problem was that these guys suck. A lack of continuity means that there's missed assignments and blown blitzes that were failed to be picked up. What I saw was guys getting pushed back constantly. That's not a lack of cohesion, it's a sign that a guy is not very talented and has very poor technique.
As far as the O-line goes to me, I hope we land Norwell in FA ,and put him at LG to dominate the left side of the line with Staley. As far as RG, I would like to see Garnett battle with Tomlinson for that RG spot. I am hoping that Crosby is still there for us in the early 3rd round, to give us a scheme fit Tackle who can sit behind Brown this year with Gilliam. Crosby to me is a guy who can be an anchor on this line for a long time. Personally if we landed Crosby, I would be willing to trade Brown if the right deal or value was out there. Brown is going to get expensive after this year, and personally I don't want to be paying a non scheme fit that type of money.
I also would be fine just keeping Brown for this year, and hope that Brown has a good year and gets a big contract from someone else in the off season, so we can get a comp pick for him the following off season. Letting Crosby be a back up the first year, and master the scheme is not a bad thing, also having him as insurance is a very good thing.
Share 49ersWebzone