LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 360 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
If he is out 4-6 weeks as it is being reported, then I don't see why can't be back around week 2 or 3.

He will be. A scope is a simple procedure. The 4-6 weeks timeframe to heal is more about the skin that was cut open than the knee itself.
Originally posted by okdkid:
If he is out 4-6 weeks as it is being reported, then I don't see why can't be back around week 2 or 3.

He will be. A scope is a simple procedure. The 4-6 weeks timeframe to heal is more about the skin that was cut open than the knee itself.

I truthfully wondered if he was going to take till mid year to take over as starter anyway...
Originally posted by Still_too_soon:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, if you go by PFF he was like the second worst starting G, IIRC. But PFF has no knowledge on scheme and assignments so it's really subjective in their OL grades. That said, this is a far better zone scheme for him compared to Kelly's and he and Staley have chemistry so I do expect solid play by him.

How is this a better scheme for him? Hoping that the movement in the boot action game makes pass pro a bit easier? Because on the face of it, for a guy that is kind of fat up in his belly and chest he seems like a poor fit for an outside zone system. He looked unathletic last year. He fell down a lot. He's not a good mover. I worry that he's a power guy, and just a total brain fart of a pick.

I was talking about Beadles. Guys can correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he more effective in an outside zone scheme vs. inside zone where more power is needed?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by okdkid:

I truthfully wondered if he was going to take till mid year to take over as starter anyway...

Yeah, it will be a tight deadline. If he's not 100% and probably starting, they might as well put him on temp I.R. and save a, roster spot.
I was talking about Beadles. Guys can correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he more effective in an outside zone scheme vs. inside zone where more power is needed?

Oh! Beadles! Yeah. That makes more sense. I'm an idiot. Sorry. Just talking about a guy that was ranked second to the bottom of PFF at guard, and I assumed it was Garnett, who was what, third from the bottom?

Yeah, it does make sense that Beadles would play a bit better in this scheme. Though he might also just be too far past his prime. Jury is out on that.
Originally posted by Still_too_soon:

Oh! Beadles! Yeah. That makes more sense. I'm an idiot. Sorry. Just talking about a guy that was ranked second to the bottom of PFF at guard, and I assumed it was Garnett, who was what, third from the bottom?

Yeah, it does make sense that Beadles would play a bit better in this scheme. Though he might also just be too far past his prime. Jury is out on that.

Haha, no worries, man.

Yeah, pick your poison I guess. You brought up an excellent point about scheme though. That ball will certainly be coming out under 3 seconds and we might have receivers who can actually get open within that time now and that will make a big difference for the OL.

It's the stretch runs we'll have to watch.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Somewhat positive news

Duh. Nice to most likely have our two 1st rounders out already. Garnett and Ward.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Somewhat positive news

It isn't like we're going to the ship. Let him comeback at his own time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This guy wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when he was playing and now he's out for awhile. Not too promising so far

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
This guy wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire when he was playing and now he's out for awhile. Not too promising so far

Yeah, Garnett had definitely been a disappointment.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I think most of the optimism comes from the fact that he is a much better scheme fit for this offense. He was not ideal for the Harb/ Kelly line bare bones run attack. It was also sounding like in preseason practices he was showing well before the injury. So people were looking forward to seeing if it was for real or not. Unfortunately he got injured before we got the opportunity so now he is still a big unknown. He could be a bust, or he could be finally on the verge of taking over as a quality starter in the new zone scheme.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by mayo49:

I think most of the optimism comes from the fact that he is a much better scheme fit for this offense. He was not ideal for the Harb/ Kelly line bare bones run attack. It was also sounding like in preseason practices he was showing well before the injury. So people were looking forward to seeing if it was for real or not. Unfortunately he got injured before we got the opportunity so now he is still a big unknown. He could be a bust, or he could be finally on the verge of taking over as a quality starter in the new zone scheme.

Yeah, the injury has really set him back. Too soon to tell if he busts or not.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
So he might be done for the year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
So he might be done for the year

it kills me that a couple of weeks ago. we were told that, oh its not that bad with him.. oh nothing to worry about with ward. and now look. you can not blame us when we now hear staley is dinged up but "should be ready to go".. and trent brown is suffering from something they are mum on. i do not like it at all
Share 49ersWebzone