LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Tiller is really mediocre athletically. Ideally Fahn Cooper is 100% healthy in 2017 as I think he can push for a starting gig in this offense.

his graded out as our best OG last yr and this yr so far...he's a better OG than Beadles who still get's pushed around.

Definitely better
How did he look yesterday?
Originally posted by amosmac28:

I thought the whole OL struggled some yesterday but I'd expect that against a very active DL front and at their home. Make-shift OL too.

Brown - Tiller - Beadles - Garnett - Theus

4 sacks and as always, 3 were on Kaepernick. Not much room in the running game but overall, did enough for the W.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by amosmac28:

I thought the whole OL struggled some yesterday but I'd expect that against a very active DL front and at their home. Make-shift OL too.

Brown - Tiller - Beadles - Garnett - Theus

4 sacks and as always, 3 were on Kaepernick. Not much room in the running game but overall, did enough for the W.
Given that the o-line was altered at 4 positions, it shouldn't be a surprise that it struggled.
  • Veteran
I don't know much about Garnett but i know he is a rookie. We can't expect much from him this year.
Better fit for Shanahan's system?
Originally posted by theginz2004:

Should fit the mold if he trims up 10-15 lbs,
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Stupid ass baalke. Traded up our future to get this loser.

I still like Garnett, but it was a bad trade considering Cody Whitehair went 30 picks later and was a much better player.
I had high hopes for Garnett, he had a bad rookie year IMO
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I still like Garnett, but it was a bad trade considering Cody Whitehair went 30 picks later and was a much better player.
Wow, he was a better player for one season so far. However, draft success is measured by success in the long run and Garnett can still overtake Whitehair.

Originally posted by communist:

Wow, he was a better player for one season so far. However, draft success is measured by success in the long run and Garnett can still overtake Whitehair.

Whitehair also played center this year. Also had a couple of pro bowlers on either side of him. Pretty poor comparison at this point IMO
Originally posted by theginz2004:

Nope. For Shanahan's system you want undersized OGs. Both Atlanta Guards are about 6'2 and 300lbs. Chilo errrr I mean Garnett is 3 inches and about 20lbs bigger. Garnett doesn't excel at mobility which is why I cringed at the pick at the time. Garnett would do well in Harb's power run system (hence the Stanford pedigree).

From Garnett's NFL.com scouting report "Slow to get out in front on long pulls. Gets a little lazy with his feet and tries to out-muscle opponents rather than combining strength with proper footwork." Not good for Shanahan's system.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I had high hopes for Garnett, he had a bad rookie year IMO

He had a horrible year! But he was in a weird offense, maybe he just need development?

Completely agree!

I like him too BUT I wanted Whitehair so much more.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Agree, Garnett, as the player, was a good pick, but trading up for him was a BAD move... and that he was never better than than CODY!!
Share 49ersWebzone