There are 273 users in the forums

49ers 2016 Mini Camp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
49ers notes: Hyde looking healthy; WR corps intriguing; Patton's bad wing

Posted on April 28, 2016 by Cam Inman

Running back Carlos Hyde showed no ill effects of running with a stabilizing rod in his left foot Wednesday as the 49ers wrapped up a minicamp.

Hyde was the last player to finish his pre-practice stretches. He could be the most important player to look at entering this season.

Last season didn't go as planned as Hyde replaced Frank Gore as the starting running back. An Oct. 11 foot fracture eventually resulted in him missing the final nine games.

Depth became a dire issue in the backfield last season as the 49ers deployed nine different running backs. A couple of those newcomers earned encores this season: the versatile Shaun Draughn and the diminutive DuJuan Harris (5-foot-7).

Advertisement

Also part of that backfield was Jarryd Hayne, Mike Davis, Kendall Gaskins and fullback Bruce Miller.

Wide receiver Quinton Patton had a cast on his right arm because of an unknown injury, he and was mostly an observer. Patton had a career-high 30 receptions last season, tied with Vance McDonald for third-most on the team.

The new-look receiving corps was missing their leader the past three seasons, Anquan Boldin, who is a free agent for the first time in his career.

CFL import Eric Rogers towered over some teammates with his 6-3 frame. DeAndre Smelter had a couple drops but his reconstructed knee looks healthy. Another unproven receiver is Dres Anderson, who made a couple nice snags.

Overlooked but right behind Torrey Smith in the receiver rotation were Jerome Simpson andDiAndre Campbell.

How's this for a potential starting offensive line (pending likely challengers in the draft): left tackle Joe Staley, left guard Zane Beadles, center Daniel Kilgore, right guard Brandon Thomas, right tackleErik Pears.

That compilation lined up together at the start of linemen warmups, if that means anything.

Advertisement

Defensive notes:

Linebacker NaVorro Bowman and safety Antoine Bethea, the defense's veteran captains, were participating in drills.

Outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks was not seen; it's a voluntary minicamp and he has been participating in the offseason program.

Glenn Dorsey was working out on the side because of a right-knee injury that likely will keep him out the start of the season.

Ian Williams wasn't seen and is believed to be home in Chicago, recovering from ankle surgery earlier this year.

Tank Carradine, a defensive linemen his first three seasons, was doing drills with the outside linebackers. He's listed at 295 pounds, but GM Trent Baalke said last week Carradine was down to 272, which would serve him better.

Jersey numbers for free agent arrivals: wide receiver Eric Rogers (3), quarterback Thad Lewis (9), guard Zane Beadles (68), offensive tackle Colin Kelly (75).

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2016/04/28/49ers-new-look-wr-corps-missing-boldin-intriguing-rogers-smelter-anderson/
Pears at RT. Sweeeeeeet.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Really excited to see what Harold and Carradine will do this year
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:
Pears at RT. Sweeeeeeet.

Not worried about that in a voluntary mini camp. Coaches have to look at all the players they haven't actually worked with, and in our case that means every coach, at every position, except Rathman and the running backs.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Brandon Thomas. Kelly is really big on SPARQ scores, and Thomas is a far superior athlete to Tiller, so I'd imagine he'll get a good inside crack at the job barring no major injection of competition.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
That is good to hear about Carlos Hyde.
Pears at RT. Sweeeeeeet.

Dude had 1,011 snaps to Brown's 186. We'll just call that veteran courtesy to "start."
Cam wrote an excellent article...good to see and even better to hear about the pace of the practices. I think Kelly will put the kibosh on a lot of the negative press he got in Philly. Colin Cowherd said it best..."Chip Kelly's a very smart guy and smart people continue to evolve". Anyway, I like what I'm hearing about how he's interacting with players and really getting down to business. Seems the players are responding to it well and that can only be a very good thing. Draft starts tonight, so it'll be interesting to see his influence on Baalke to get the players he wants/needs.

I still think Trent Brown has an excellent chance to be our starting RT...I kind of doubt Pears will even make the 53-man roster. WRT Brandon Thomas, it'd be awesome if he shows us the talent that led Baalke to draft him 2 years ago. He was Clemson's starting LT his final two seasons there, so you know the guy can play.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Pears at RT. Sweeeeeeet.

Dude had 1,011 snaps to Brown's 186. We'll just call that veteran courtesy to "start."
Everyone gets a chance..Looks like pears needs to step up if he wants to stay at #1
My hope... Pears gets pushed down the pecking order after this weekend.

Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

I hope we've drafted and developed well enough to push him off the 53
Chip does things differently.

He works guys on Saturday, and some guys didn't like that

He wants you to be part of a team, and not an individual

Since he does things differently, he is an easy target when things go wrong. Some guys just aren't going to like playing for him because he is a "my way or the highway" kinda guy
Originally posted by NCommand:
Pears at RT. Sweeeeeeet.

said that last year
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

I hope we've drafted and developed well enough to push him off the 53

I absolutely cannot believe Pears is still on this roster.

Just goes to show you that are GM is clueless.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I absolutely cannot believe Pears is still on this roster.

Just goes to show you that are GM is clueless.

Yeah, "are" GM is clueless!
Share 49ersWebzone