LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

2016 Breakout Players

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man is our secondary young. Too many breakout candidates. Fun fact, our 'veteran' CB Brock is almost a year younger than Norman. I thought Brock was older lol.
Hopefully it's:

Hyde- health permitted I'm confident he will bust out

Smelter- similar build to Bolden, hopefully he can at least adequately fill that role

Lynch- we need pass rush

Harold- the guys up to 270 hopefully that helps his development as long as he doesn't loose his speed

Oh and I believe in Dontae Johnson he needs to start.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by McClusky:
I'll go Lynch, Johnson, and Brown.

Great choices. Man, if those three shine this year, that would be huge for us!

Brown is a good one too.
Hyde
the passing game in general
Harold
Buckner instant impact

Out of this list, I feel best about Hyde.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I truly believe Tank and Jimmie Ward are busts. It's not really fair to Jimmie though. He should have never been picked that high, but regardless both are out of the league in 2-3 years.

Jimmie Ward played well last year. He show tremendous growth as the season wore on. Ward may never live up to the expectations of a number 1 pick but to claim he will be out of the league in 2-3 years is far from the truth
  • titan
  • Veteran
Kaepernick to Patton combo!
Kory Faulkner
Bruce Miller at TE
Originally posted by goodthings19:
I truly believe Tank and Jimmie Ward are busts. It's not really fair to Jimmie though. He should have never been picked that high, but regardless both are out of the league in 2-3 years.

Jimmie Ward played well last year. He show tremendous growth as the season wore on. Ward may never live up to the expectations of a number 1 pick but to claim he will be out of the league in 2-3 years is far from the truth

To say that Ward is a bust is laughable...Draftology I feel like didn't watch games last year especially as the season progressed.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Whoa-Ward-49ers-CB-finishing-second-season-in-6731992.php

"In the past four weeks, Ward has allowed a 44.6 passer rating when targeted, which ranks seventh of 109 cornerbacks over that span, according to Pro Football Focus. He also has been targeted just once in every 9.7 coverage snaps, which ranks second of 80 cornerbacks."

IMO his best position is as a ball hawk FS, but he has shown he can locked down slot WRs and play one of the hardest positions on the defensive side.

It's like people thought he was a top 10 pick or something 30th pick in the draft and he had a broken foot his rookie year, he is coming a long very well.
2013 Draft Class / contract year

Eric Reid and Vance McDonald

Originally posted by titan:
Kaepernick to Patton combo!
I've been wanting to call this combo 7-11 for years.. they just don't get it together

[ Edited by JeromeBettis36 on May 2, 2016 at 8:44 AM ]
Tank Carradine, Donta Johnson, Tartt, Armstead, Buckner, Brown
Buckner, AA, the whole secondary.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by goodthings19:

To say that Ward is a bust is laughable...Draftology I feel like didn't watch games last year especially as the season progressed.

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Whoa-Ward-49ers-CB-finishing-second-season-in-6731992.php

"In the past four weeks, Ward has allowed a 44.6 passer rating when targeted, which ranks seventh of 109 cornerbacks over that span, according to Pro Football Focus. He also has been targeted just once in every 9.7 coverage snaps, which ranks second of 80 cornerbacks."

IMO his best position is as a ball hawk FS, but he has shown he can locked down slot WRs and play one of the hardest positions on the defensive side.

It's like people thought he was a top 10 pick or something 30th pick in the draft and he had a broken foot his rookie year, he is coming a long very well.
How can you say his best position is as a FS? He hasn't played there at all in his NFL career. When he would have had the opportunity to do so (when Bethea went down), we went with Tartt.

Jimmie Ward does have an impressive PFF rating, and to say he'll be out of the league in three years may be a little harsh. However, minus the Bengals, our last four opponents had pretty abysmal WR's and passing games. The guy just never seemed to jump out at me. That may be because his receivers were covered and they weren't throwing at him, but I can't recall any play or plays in particular that made me think this guy was a player.

And I would never expect the 30th pick to be a superstar, but, like you, I'd like to see him become something more than a slot corner. Hopefully that comes this year.
These threads are always good for a bump in 7 or 8 months
Share 49ersWebzone