There are 188 users in the forums

How much would this change things

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I got to thinking the other day reading some Niner fans outrage at the FO (which I to a degree agree with) what if some is the unforeseen things the FO truly couldn't have expected....didn't happen? Where would the organization be? Interested to hear where you guys think the Niners would be if all of the following things did not happen to the Niners last offseason.

Aldon Smith didn't commit anymore crimes and played the whole season with the team

Patrick Willis, Chris Borland and Anthony Davis all played instead of retiring

Think about that, 3 of the Niners biggest needs OLB/Passrusher, ILB and RT would all be not just solid but positions of strength. I feel like this team wouldn't have imploded nearly as bad and we as fans could have an entirely different outlook on how this team was built and the performance of those who built it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to give York/Baalke an excuse for the Harbaugh/Tomsula fiasco or for all of Trents draft misses and FA miscues. Just wondering how dramatic of a difference everyone thinks it would've made.

Personally, I think it would be tremendous. I hate Anthony Davis as a person but RT was awful without him. Imagine a 3 man rotation at ILB of Bowman/Willis/Borland and Aldon with his head on straight rushing the QB off the edge. This organization is to blame for many mistakes but those 3 surprise retirements and Aldon getting in trouble again forcing his release killed us more than anything.
[ Edited by matt49er on Apr 24, 2016 at 5:32 AM ]
If Joe Montana and Jerry Rice had never grew old.
Our defense would be a lot better but we still would miss Justin Smith. Our offense would still suck. Davis was good, but he doesn't turn the worst offense in the league into a good offense by himself.

More importantly, if all those players had stayed, we would still be a competitive team so it would have made more sense to bring in veteran free agents this year. Most teams have to deal with some sort of adversity though (injuries, players leaving, retirement) and our recent draft picks have not looked good.
Every team has to deal with unforeseen events. The good teams deal with it, the bad ones fall apart and throw their hands up with excuses.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I got to thinking the other day reading some Niner fans outrage at the FO (which I to a degree agree with) what if some is the unforeseen things the FO truly couldn't have expected....didn't happen? Where would the organization be? Interested to hear where you guys think the Niners would be if all of the following things did not happen to the Niners last offseason.

Aldon Smith didn't commit anymore crimes and played the whole season with the team

Think about that, 3 of the Niners biggest needs OLB/Passrusher, ILB and RT would all be not just solid but positions of strength. I feel like this team wouldn't have imploded nearly as bad and we as fans could have an entirely different outlook on how this team was built and the performance of those who built it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to give York/Baalke an excuse for the Harbaugh/Tomsula fiasco or for all of Trents draft misses and FA miscues. Just wondering how dramatic of a difference everyone thinks it would've made.

Personally, I think it would be tremendous. I hate Anthony Davis as a person but RT was awful without him. Imagine a 3 man rotation at ILB of Bowman/Willis/Borland and Aldon with his head on straight rushing the QB off the edge. This organization is to blame for many mistakes but those 3 surprise retirements and Aldon getting in trouble again forcing his release killed us more than anything.

Was the post you read written by Captian Obvious?
Still have tomsula and geep. Davis and Willis were hurt and missed a lot of games their last season. Can't assume they just stay healthy. After being arrested several times you can't just assume Aldon has no more legal problems going forward. And you'd still have kaepernicks implosion to deal with.
Originally posted by KajunNiner:

What if Lawrence Phillips made THAT block?

Basically in the matter of one offseason, the team lost 3 first round players and another one that was performing at a first round grade. That's just a ridiculous out of the ordinary combination of events. I don't give a s**t how strong your organization is you don't get through an offseason like that without feeling it. Then add in a QB crumbling and an absolute terrible coaching hiring.

It's laughable, when some try to blowoff last offseason as something that they just should have been able to get through with little problems. We all can watch football for another quarter of a century and not see an off season that bad.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by KajunNiner:

What if Lawrence Phillips made THAT block?

Or Sherman got busted for peds instead of winning his challenge, or if he had small hands and didn't tip the ball to Malcolm Smith

What if the refs didnt botch this Defensive Hold Call ?
[ Edited by ForeverYoung8 on Apr 26, 2016 at 3:57 PM ]

Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

Lol stop blaming the refs. What if we just ran the damn ball into the endzone eh?
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

Lol stop blaming the refs. What if we just ran the damn ball into the endzone eh?
yes i would of rather had Gore run at least 2 of the 4 downs. BUT, its undeniably a hold and should of been called non the less
I think we woulda been 7-9 or 8-8 last season. Tomsula would still be our coach. Would have prolonged the limbo. Now at least there is a little better direction.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Basically in the matter of one offseason, the team lost 3 first round players and another one that was performing at a first round grade. That's just a ridiculous out of the ordinary combination of events. I don't give a s**t how strong your organization is you don't get through an offseason like that without feeling it. Then add in a QB crumbling and an absolute terrible coaching hiring.

It's laughable, when some try to blowoff last offseason as something that they just should have been able to get through with little problems. We all can watch football for another quarter of a century and not see an off season that bad.

Throw in the 22nd oldest veteran squad to the 6th youngest (maybe least experienced) on top of this, Hyde breaking his foot and 17 more players on I.R., and welcome to the "off season from hell...that never ended."

Excuses? No, just a ridiculous reality. Yet somehow we still won some games and 6 teams are still drafting ahead of us.

What the f**k "excuses" did the Ravens, Changers, Cowboys and a host of other playoff teams have?

Parity at its finest.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2016 at 4:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone