LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 427 users in the forums

Which is the STRONGEST position group on the Niners?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which is the STRONGEST position group on the Niners?

Im struggling to identify what the strength of this team's roster is, and was hoping the WZ could help point it out.

I hate to be Negative Nancy, but its seriously depressing to look at the Niners current roster right now. I have no idea what this team is anymore.

However, I am excited to see what style of play Chip Kelly brings to the team, and how he may be able to inject life into this organization.

Can anyone point out where the strength and core of this roster is? Is it just obliterated from top to bottom, or am I just being negative?

For reference, courtesy of

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SF

OFFENSE
LWR 11 Patton, Quinton 13/4 10 Ellington, Bruce 14/4 6 Anderson, Dres CF15 00 Rogers, Eric SF16 15 Smelter, DeAndre 15/4
RWR 82 Smith, Torrey U/Bal 18 White, DeAndrew CF15 14 SIMPSON, JEROME SF15 19 Campbell, DiAndre SF15
LT 74 STALEY, JOE 07/1 00 Kelly, Colin SF16
LG 62 Silberman, Ian 15/6 60 Thomas, Brandon 14/3
C 67 Kilgore, Daniel 11/5 66 Martin, Marcus 14/3
RG 61 Tiller, Andrew SF14 00 Beadles, Zane CC/Jax 69 Devey, Jordan T/NE
RT 77 Brown, Trent 15/7 71 PEARS, ERIK U/Buf
TE 89 McDonald, Vance 13/2 88 Celek, Garrett CF12 84 Bell, Blake 15/4 48 Anderson, Rory 15/7 87 Hamm, Je'Ron W/Was
QB 2 Gabbert, Blaine T/Jax 7 Kaepernick, Colin 11/2 00 Lewis, Thaddeus U/Phi 13 Thompson, Dylan CF15
FB 49 Miller, Bruce 11/7
RB 28 Hyde, Carlos 14/2 20 Davis, Mike 15/4 32 Harris, DuJuan P/Bal 24 Draughn, Shaun SF15 38 Hayne, Jarryd SF15
RB 40 Gaskins, Kendall SF14
DEFENSE
LDT 90 DORSEY, GLENN U/KC 63 Jerod-Eddie, Tony CF12 69 Armstead, Arik 15/1
NT 93 Williams, Ian CF11 64 Purcell, Mike CF13 68 Ramsey, Kaleb 14/7
RDT 92 Dial, Quinton 13/5 95 Carradine, Tank 13/2 65 Smith, Garrison SF14
LOLB 55 BROOKS, AHMAD W/Cin 96 Lemonier, Corey 13/3
RILB 53 Bowman, NaVorro 10/3 56 Skov, Shayne CF14 51 BISHOP, DESMOND SF14
LILB 51 Hodges, Gerald T/Min 57 Wilhoite, Michael CF11 50 Bellore, Nick U/NYJ
ROLB 59 Lynch, Aaron 14/5 58 Harold, Eli 15/3 54 Armstrong, Ray Ray W/Oak 45 Rush, Marcus CF15
LCB 26 Brock, Tramaine CF10 36 Johnson, Dontae 14/4 43 Davis, Chris SF15
SS 41 BETHEA, ANTOINE U/Ind 29 Tartt, Jaquiski 15/2
FS 35 Reid, Eric 13/1 25 Ward, Jimmie 14/1 31 McCray, LJ CF14
RCB 20 Acker, Kenneth 14/6 27 Reaser, Keith 14/5 47 Cromartie, Marcus SF14
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:03 PM ]
Management
Safety

Got 2 former pro-bowlers in Bethea and Reid, and 2 good young players in Ward and Tartt.
Safety
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Safety

Got 2 former pro-bowlers in Bethea and Reid, and 2 good young players in Ward and Tartt.

This and it's not close.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Safety

This and it's not close.

Ok, I can see that. Got some solid vets and some young potential. Any other position to feel good about?
Linebackers.

Bowman and Lynch are easily the best players on D and Brooks is good

This was hard. So many weak positions.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:47 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Safety
RB

On offense, it's RB - Hyde and Miller are decent players. Staley and Smith are the only other players who should be starting on an NFL team which is pretty sad. But that's why we had the worst offense in football last year even with Boldin putting up decent numbers.

Safety is our best position on defense in my opinion. Lynch, Reid, and Bowman are our best players on defense. Bowman is a little overrated because he's no longer effective in coverage (our linebackers as a whole were horrible in coverage last year). Hodges should be replaced in the draft and I wouldn't mind drafting a pass rusher to replace Brooks. Bethea was a solid player in 2014, but regressed in 2015 and is coming off an injury. I don't expect him to play at that level again, but he's still a better player than Brooks or Hodges. I like Ward and Tartt a lot more than our backup linebackers.

We're weak at almost every position, but I don't think we need to find a starting RB or safety in the draft (could definitely use RB depth though).

safety hands down
I voted for DL just because I think AA and Ian Williams, along with Dial and TJE make a decent rotation. Ive always been a TJE fan, and Dial and AA showed flashes last year, I think they both take another step. Dorsey and IW can hold the line. I think they make up a decent run stopping group.
This order IMO: strength to weakness

DL
S
OLB
ILB
WR
CB
TE
K/P
OL
QB
RB
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
This order IMO: strength to weakness

DL
S
OLB
ILB
WR
CB
TE
K/P
OL
QB
RB

Ranking what is best on a very poor team is difficult. For the most part I agree with you, but would change a few things. I would move QB to last, flip TE and RB....Damn, when I look at the team this way, I realize just how bad every position group really is and how many holes we need to fill. Safety is our strongest position group, but every group has serious question marks and flaws.
Safety

Johnson, Acker and Reiser are decent as well. I would say better than average. Our secondary is our best group by far. WR is another wild card position, difficult to judge them with our o line play and QB play as well.
Share 49ersWebzone