LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should we continue to risk drafting injured players?

Originally posted by crabman82:
There's certainly a spot for it but I do think Trent has over done it a tad for my liking

This. Save those for the late late rounds if you want to do it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Nope. Too risky and Baalke has already shown to fail using that tactic. Been saying this since he took Lattimore.

Tank was his biggest miss in this department due to the draft slot used. He has been pretty much useless.

WHich makes it a bad pick based on performance, NOT on the injury.

He had a bad knee as a rookie and they activated him for like a week or two halfway through year and then ir'ed right after. In the process I believe they lost a year of control on his contract. Should've been ir'ed the whole year like Lattimore was. Now is 1 less year to see what he has
Nope. Too risky and Baalke has already shown to fail using that tactic. Been saying this since he took Lattimore.

Tank was his biggest miss in this department due to the draft slot used. He has been pretty much useless.

WHich makes it a bad pick based on performance, NOT on the injury.

The injury may have had something to do with it. Especially considering he was reported to be a top pick in the draft. That would explain the drastic fall off in play. The reports were that his knee wasn't right at first and he took quite a long time to recover from it and hit the field. We were waiting a long time for him to even see the field. That injury hurt his career and to think otherwise I think would be incorrect. Didn't get much playing time so I'm guessing he didn't get back to his beast form.

Either way, the red shirt pick was a bad pick, no matter how you slice it.

Wasn't arguinhg it was a good pick. The topic is "Should we continue to risk drafting injured players"?

IMO, Tanks issue is that he isn't a fit as a 3-4 DE which is why they are going to try him at OLB. I think eventually bhis best shot is as a DE on a team running a 4-3.

I think it was abad pick, but I don't think the injury made it so. I think the injury just allowed made the cost of the mistake a 2 rather than a 1.
There's certainly a spot for it but I do think Trent has over done it a tad for my liking

I dunno...I'd love to take a stab at Jaylon Smith somewhere in the mid rounds.

If just ONE of those guys really hits it was worth it.

Bingo

Ignoring that it already did work with Gore, and with countless players on other teams over the years

Risk vs. reward. It is all a matter of philosophy. I err on the conservative side but I am not totally opposed to taking a flyer on a injured guy. But ultimately, you are hoping his body will fully recover, something that is a big gamble in a process where each pick is already a gamble. I just thinks it lowers your overall chances of getting a hit.

Risk vs. reward. It is all a matter of philosophy. I err on the conservative side but I am not totally opposed to taking a flyer on a injured guy. But ultimately, you are hoping his body will fully recover, something that is a big gamble in a process where each pick is already a gamble. I just thinks it lowers your overall chances of getting a hit.

But there is no such thing as a safe player in the NFL Draft. Aaron Curry, Robert Gallery, Tony Mandrich, Jason Smith. All "safe" draft picks. All busts.

Add in guys seem to be leaving the game earlier to preserve their health. Seems reasonable to think drafting beat up injured guys might be more likely to retire earlier. Obviously a guy like gore loves the game and goes againstthe point I just made but it's something where u better be f**king sure the kid loves the game and isn't just in it to make a million or two to set up the rest of his life
Originally posted by TheRambler:

But there is no such thing as a safe player in the NFL Draft. Aaron Curry, Robert Gallery, Tony Mandrich, Jason Smith. All "safe" draft picks. All busts.

I know. So why make a risky process even riskier? Now, you are hoping for a clean recovery and then you are hoping they pan out as a player.

A red-shirt guy is going to miss the training camps, practice and season then come back and start work. That is a tall order for a player to overcome.

So basically it seems like a too big of a risk to take. Not worth the headache, imo.

Did u read the part where he said each pick is already a gamble?

no
As much as people hate it, I still love it. Always have.

Baalke gets a ton of flack for it, but I like it.

Lattimore? Yeah..that knee was too screwed up for him to make it back, but I still don't take issue with the selection.
Tank? I don't think the injury is the problem. He just doesn't fit as 3-4 DE. At least we didn't take him in round 1 where he'd likely have gone if he didn't get hurt.
B. Thomas? Too early to tell.
Q. Dial? Not too shabby.
Reaser? Too early to tell.
Smelter? WAY too early to tell.

Peeps who don't like Baalke seem to make such a big deal out of it but only ONE of these guys was even taken in the first 2 rounds. Other than that the highest pick was a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

To me though, only Lattimore has been unable to come back. All of the others so far have been able to make it back to the field and it hasn't been the injury thats prevented them from making an impact.

Exactly. We were playing with house money...had extra draft picks and a roster that was mostly set during our run so stashing some players on I.R. (not just the draft picks either) was nothing more than creating a creative pipeline of players.

Lattimore was worth the risk. No biggie...Carradine, hell, his position was just mismanaged but once he got his knee scoped, looked so much better. Now we'll finally get to see how he performs as a true WILL. Thomas? Even if he wasn't 100% last year, he looked better than any other G we used during pre season (save for Tiller) - more poor personnel choices by coaches? We'll just have to see...Dial already has an extension and I can't wait to see Smelter kill somebody. Reaser looks electric to me...loved seeing him play the slot late last year. That's his home IMHO.

Kelly and his staff will actually have an opportunity to find out what all these players can do now save for Lattimore.

It's funny...many of these players who were red shirted are just starting their careers at the same time so many of our other young non-injured players; last year and this year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 18, 2016 at 1:54 PM ]
Well for every Frank there is a Lattimore. And Marvin makes a good point with the bevy of bad we've had with WRs, altho some of that may have been due to schid for O coaching, harbaw awful, and tomsul the mistake, worse. So some of these guys, esp on O, have had krapt for coaching. That now changes. Now we see who has it and who doesn't. Trent may not like it but chip is going to find out who is a player and who isn't . The ISN'Ts aren't going to make the squad.... And there could be more than a few of them.

Jack was my #3 favorite pick, but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole now. IF Trent took him with 7 (and he won't ), he should get fired. But if he reaches and takes him in 2nd, I would be sick. Sick. I just hope chip , gamble, can make Trent keep it in his pants. (The pick , that is)/

As to the question generally, how come no other team (to my knowledge) isn't known for ACL picks. Seems only we are. And maybe that means we should, or Trent should cut way back on it and limit it to rds 5+ . Yeah we got Trent brown at the btm of the draft, and that WAS a steal. Brady came in the 7th. But that is not commonplace, and late Rd picks, sure if he wants a flyer go ahead . But no picks an "ACL" one Rd later. That should not be done.

If we come away from this draft with a surprise at 7 and not an impact player, OL , DL, I for one will really be hacked off . I don't know this but am beginning to wonder if Trent muffs this draft, if his job is secure. I just assume he will make better picks than he has before with chip there to guide him on O picks. That hasn't been his forte.

In baalke's favor, CBS.com/NFL reported by PFF that AA was considered the 2nd best pick in the draft of 2015...and THAT is impressive. Way to go Trent.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Problem is these risks are 2-4 year gambles and that's too long in today's NFL where we want to win NOW/TODAY

I know. So why make a risky process even riskier? Now, you are hoping for a clean recovery and then you are hoping they pan out as a player.

A red-shirt guy is going to miss the training camps, practice and season then come back and start work. That is a tall order for a player to overcome.

So basically it seems like a too big of a risk to take. Not worth the headache, imo.

How is it riskier?

You are taking a guy a round or 2 later than you would otherwise.

The risk you take with an uninjured player is that you don't see them as good a prospect. You take the guy you think is a better prospect with an injury concern.

All but ONE of those players has come back and been able to play. They are off the field or not playing because they either have not panned out YET or were simply bad picks.

In either case, the injury and the strategy of taking the injured guy didn't hurt them. The guy just didn't or hasn't yet panned out.
Share 49ersWebzone